RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost brand new Supercharged (12K miles) started hopping/skipping on turns. When turning right (for example) the right rear wheel will shudder and spin (burn rubber) trying to keep up with the left wheel, which is obviously rotating at a higher rpm due to it being on the outside of the turn radius. I thought a differential was supposed to allow the wheels to spin at different rpms to prevent this. Dealer found no fault codes on the car. They don't know what to do. Said that the dash monitor screen was showing that the differential is staying closed on the turns, and this is then "normal". Hard to believe that the car is designed to spin/hop/skip a wheel on a turn.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
89 Posts
Do you have auto terrain response? Mine does something similar but not to the point that it's burning rubber. I feel a little wheel studder when the temperature is cold so I just assumed the auto terrain response thinks it's in snow mode. But it's never bothered me enough to switch it off and check. It never does this when the temperature is over freezing.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
4 Posts
Do you have auto terrain response? Mine does something similar but not to the point that it's burning rubber. I feel a little wheel studder when the temperature is cold so I just assumed the auto terrain response thinks it's in snow mode. But it's never bothered me enough to switch it off and check. It never does this when the temperature is over freezing.
I have the exact same issue during cold weather. Of course, the dealer can't replicate the problem when in for service. It only happens when the outside temp is below freezing, and the car has been sitting outside for the night.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Go to a different dealer. Have them drive a 16 that doesn't do it. Call lr corporate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, it turns out that there is a technical bulletin on this: LTB00906NAS4 "Judder from Transfer Case". The "remedy" seems to be to flush the transfer case 2 or 3 times and hope that this issue goes away. We've had that done, and have the car back and so far (day 2) no issues. I do see though that the next step (should the judder return) is to replace the transfer box.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the exact same issue during cold weather. Of course, the dealer can't replicate the problem when in for service. It only happens when the outside temp is below freezing, and the car has been sitting outside for the night.
That's the thing, I'm not sure it's a "problem" but rather just the way ATR is programmed to react in certain conditions. At the moment I'm not worried about it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That's the thing, I'm not sure it's a "problem" but rather just the way ATR is programmed to react in certain conditions. At the moment I'm not worried about it.
Quoting myself here because I've had some time to trouble shoot driving with ATR on and off.

This may or may not be the same issue as the OP is describing, but driving around with ATR OFF I don't get the studder I previously mentioned.

ATR seems to be selecting snow/gravel/grass automatically for me based only on the outside temperature, leading to some wheel studder on dry pavement and some throttle response limiting as well. The studder is similar to what happens when driving an older 4X4 vehicle with the differential locked on dry pavement. If you've ever had an older 4X4 and forgotten to disengage 4WD you know what I'm talking about.

If you're driving with ATR ON and want to see if the program has you in a mode other than normal, while at speed turn it off. You'll BRIEFLY see on your dash the system flash the mode it has you in before it defaults back to normal. I've confirmed this a few times. Below freezing (or there about) ATR has my truck in snow/gravel/grass. Above freezing it keeps me in normal.

So if you notice sluggish acceleration or a funny feeling from your drive train / wheels when the temperature is below freezing, try turning off Automatic Terrain Response and see if you notice a difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts