RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery this past weekend and am getting used to the vehicle. Here’s a few random thoughts:

RRS16.jpg

-Wait was really worth it—this vehicle does not disappoint! Love the driving position and vehicle presence! My wife claims I’m having a pseudo mid-life crisis due to the red on red color scheme, but I would not have it any other way.

-I am trying my best to honor the 2,000 mile break-in period, but I did not go through the trouble of seating the brakes--too laborious a process and nowhere really good in town to brake every 0.5 mile going 30 mph. It’s crazy to think how much fun this car is to drive already, and I haven’t even begun to use its potential.

- In case anybody is wondering, the USB ports stop charging any connected ipods about 30 seconds after you lock the door. I actually tested it by having my wife lock me inside the car and walk away for a minute. Once the doors are unlocked the USB power returns.

-Registered on InControl. Seems to be as advertised with a lot of flash and little substance. My OCD tendencies are happy with the ability to check if the doors are locked, windows closed, etc remotely. Also very neat but kinda creepy to be able to track all my journeys. I do like seeing the MPG average though. I got 21 mpg driving home from the dealer--I haven't driven that conservatively in a long, long time.

-I am very happy with my decisions for interior trim. I debated both black morzine and piano black wood; however, I did not want the interior to be too dark, and the dark grey oak wood looks great and doesn’t seem to show scratches. The cherry on top is the $700 savings.

-My only regret from a package standpoint is not getting the Front visibility and climate package, but this is a very small regret. All I really miss is the blind spot monitoring (which I’m used to not having) and the twin sunvisors—didn’t really care for the rest. However, I stretched to get into the V8 and had to trim the fat so to speak.

-Steering wheel on Auto is a bit loosey-goosey. Dynamic mode makes it just right.

-Jury is still out on auto start/stop. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I turn it off.

-Have not mastered the kick-open tailgate, batting below the Mendoza line. Need to practice in my garage.

-Brake pedal was a little mushy initially, but I’m used to it now.

-Fit and finish are remarkable to me, but of course I’m coming from a 7 year old vehicle, and this is my first car that cost over $50,000.

-Navigation/entertainment system is very user-friendly but also as slow as advertised. Meridian Signature system is phenomenal.

-Biggest bummer about the vehicle is the solar attenuating screen for 2016, so I cannot use a Valentine 1 radar detector. Anybody with any solutions that do not include just driving speed limit?

-Here’s a set of leather keychain covers I bought on ebay before taking delivery. They look great but be warned the imprinted cutouts are not functional. The buttons can’t be pressed through the leather. Not a huge deal I guess when everything is keyless. Leather seems to be high quality for the $90 apiece they cost.

keys.jpg

Also installed red aluminum paddle shifters today to break up the all black dash. You need a Torx 15 bit to remove a single screw and it’s a single plug that needs to be transposed. I parked the vehicle with the steering wheel a quarter turn and placed my iphone with the front camera activated on the dash to help visualize the screw. Got the paddles for $420 shipped from San Juan LR with no tax, easily the cheapest I saw online.

paddles.jpg

Could listen to this all day!
https://vine.co/v/eYu3rV1L5HZ

Will post more as it comes to me.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Good write up.

FYI...on the USB charging front. It only activates the USB for a short time after the doors are unlocked. It turns off after a few minutes (probably 5, haven't timed it.) Having spent extended amounts of time in a RR waiting for ferries etc I know the drill. If you're sitting in the vehicle and the time runs out, you either need to open the door and close it again or press the start button without foot on brake.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Great write-up! And what a gorgeou RRS. I'm not familiar with the in-control tracking your journey's, but one benefit is the bread-crumb and if you're out and about in a vast, lonely forest and get lost. I believe this feature is included in the navigation as well, at least it is on my '13. This feature really is a life-saver if exploring off the beaten path. It's very easy to get lost in state lands and having a bread-crumb to get out is key.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase. I also took delivery of a 2016 V8-Dynamic. Went with the Corris Grey, black contrast roof and all black interior (will post pics one of these days). Did the metallic trim (can't recall the name), which it incredible. No wood to scratch and gives it a much sportier look. I was going to do a similar "review" of my initial thoughts, but you've covered it well. Agree on everything you said. I haven't done much to the car - want to keep it more or less stock, but I did tint the side windows and windshield to give the car a real solid upper black look - looks phenomenal IMO. I took off the Land Rover badge on the back and the terrible small circular dealer circle badge that was on there. Only left the "Supercharged" and red "Sport" badge. I reupholstered the two front sun visors because I can't stand the safety stickers. Now it's all black and looks great. Only thing left is to replace the silver RANGE ROVER letters with black ones. I had the car done with OptiCoat Plus (or whatever the highest level is), which really is AMAZING. Car looks showroom clean, smooth, and glossy every day. Even the day after huge rains. Also bought a rinseless wash that was suggested by the guy who did the opticoat. Apparently it's used by many of the high-end detailers. Not doing much more, but I do love your red paddle shifters!

Auto start/stop feature is something new to me. Like you, sometimes I leave it on, sometimes I turn it off. However, the car is still new enough that when I hear it shut off, I have that brief 'oh sh*t' moment, when I think it stalled. For the most part, if I remember to turn it off, I do.

LOVE the 1800w Meridian. Blows me away. I got mine without the heads up display package and I don't miss that at all. Had it in a few cars and rarely used it.

Infotainment is very slow as reported by everyone on here. I just can't understand in today's world with a 90k car, the system is like this. If they would amped up the electronics with a system like Audi or BMW, we'd have the perfect vehicle. Makes zero sense to me that with so many global complaints about their infotainment system, they wouldn't upgrade.

So far, I love it. 800 miles so far and also doing the same with gingerly breaking it in. In terms of steering, you're spot on. Its a bit loose, but in dynamic mode, it's perfect. Car does "feel" heavy and not as nimble as the Cayenne Turbo, but I really love the solid feel. Will be putting on snows pretty soon and hoping for excellent, go-anywhere ability this winter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Congrats on the car. I'm curious about one thing. Did you have that piece in the middle of the front bumper right above the scuff plate painted red? Every car I've seen including my ATB it is black in the front and rear. I even looked at a few 2016 and it's also black.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Your new Sport looks spectacular Hodog!! Great color choice.

Yes, the foot activated Tailgate does take time to master, you need to stand almost to the side of the Car, out of the way of the opening Tailgate, I think it can sense if you're standing directly behind it to prevent hapless drivers receiving an upper cut to the Chin when it swings up.

The thing about the new Windshield is that it has it's good and bad side, compared to the previous ones, the good is that now you have to really focus to see the elements in the heated screen, but electronic devices won't work when they are attached, my Fastrack won't, that's for sure. But there is a clear opening next to the Mirror. Pity my Transponder is so big though.

What else was I going to say...oh yes, looking at your Gages, I was wondering if you've tried the Torch setting ? This only illuminates the numbers on the speedo and Tacho that you really need to see.

But in any case, enjoy your new Sport, I'm sure you are !!:thumb:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Congrats I have a Dynamic Sport coming around 11/6, currently in the port in Baltimore. I'm excited to hear the 1700 watt sound system and mash the gas on 510 hp!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The one quirk I've noticed, and I'm not sure if this is how it's supposed to function, is that when using Auto start/stop, and I brake to a stop and the engine cuts off, if I push the Park button, the car turns off completely. It's happened to me twice now, once in my driveway and once at a gas station. If I turn off the Auto start/stop and come to a stop, pushing Park puts it in Park and the car idles.

Josh great to hear your impressions as well. Still waiting for your pictures! I'm getting a full detail then Opticoat placed in the next month or so as the Xpel installer said to wait a month.

Ranging: Thanks. Good info on the USB.

Count: Once you register with InControl and log onto the website you can see all your journeys. Yours should be at the dealer tomorrow right?!? Congrats!

Sebap3: Yup, I asked the dealer to paint my rocker panels to look like an ATB and was quoted $1350. I really wanted the front and rear bumpers painted too but didn't want to spend more. Fortunately my sales person thought I meant the bumpers too initially with that quote and had them paint it all. I didn't realize that happened until I saw it for the first time. Here's a shot of the rear alongside my 2008 MDX trade-in, which incidentally also had painted plastic bumpers.

IMG_7799_zpsgomxawwx.jpg

Jaguar27: Thanks! That might be my problem with the tailgate, besides needing more practice! Yes, the cut-out is much too small to put a V1 up there. I contacted the company and they said those fancy windshields can block up to 90% of radar. I'm experimenting with and without Torch to see which I like better. I'm up to 300 miles by the way :mrgreen:.

buddyg: Congrats! Those last few days are the hardest for sure.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Josh great to hear your impressions as well. Still waiting for your pictures! I'm getting a full detail then Opticoat placed in the next month or so as the Xpel installer said to wait a month.
Yes! Will post pics soon. Just haven't done it yet. Too busy driving! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
if I push the Park button, the car turns off completely. It's happened to me twice now, once in my driveway and once at a gas station. If I turn off the Auto start/stop and come to a stop, pushing Park puts it in Park and the car idles.
That should only happen if you do not have your seatbelt fastned. Also, a tip for you. If you are in heavy traffic and you want the engine to stop and not have your foot on the brake pedal, wait for the engine to stop, put the car in N and put the EPB on, that will keep it stopped but still ready to go (if you get my meaning lol). Simply back into D and it starts instantly.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,458 Posts
...I am trying my best to honor the 2,000 mile break-in period, but I did not go through the trouble of seating the brakes--too laborious a process and nowhere really good in town to brake every 0.5 mile going 30 mph...
Take the autotrain up to DC, drive a few laps of the Beltway during rush hour, brakes will be broken in to spec ;)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick update and thoughts after the first month of ownership.

-I drove 1,600 miles! Hopefully that number decreases, or I'm going to burn through my extended warranty.

-Really ready to get past the break-in period later this month. Have only gotten RPMs up to 5000 once or twice. True test of will power.

-Everybody loves the pimento interior. Well, everybody except my wife. :mrgreen:

-Have had no issues the first month, except for the very very very minor fact that I often have to push my front passenger window button 2-3 times for the window to auto go down, or hold it of course. Has happened a handful of times including today. Driver window always goes down with first touch. Not even worth mentioning to dealer because I'm afraid they'll do more harm than good.

-The Signature stereo was definitely worth the discounted $3250 upgrade. Still not so sure it's worth a $6,300 upgrade, but the more time I spend with it, the more I think it might as well be.

-Also the longer I spend with the car, the more that I appreciate that my build was perfect for my needs.

-Have no issues with the infotainment system like others have posted. It is slow but easy to maneuver to me.

-Dealer quoted me an average of $600+ apiece for service appointments annually and confirmed they don't do complimentary service for 2016s any more as posted before. LR allows you until the 12 month/12,000 mile mark to buy the LR pre-paid maintenance plan, which I will plan to do for four years at the retail cost of $1,475.

-Making first monthly payment is a painful reminder that you have to pay to play ;-). This car actually makes me look forward to my commutes which I used to abhor, so to me that's worth the price of admission.

-My trade-in is still sitting at the dealer, they've had to knock off $500 off the initial listing price which was $4500 above trade-in value. I felt that they low-balled me, so there is some smug satisfaction in watching their profit margins shrink I'll be honest. I imagine they'll send it to auction before too long.

-Getting Opti-coat pro installed in a few weeks. Had to find a time when I could leave the car stationary and garaged for a 72 hour period. Can't wait.

-Completely agree trying to keep these rims clean is a lesson in futility. Wish the rims were finished in a darker gun-metal gray shade like the HST's. Glad to get the recommendation about Sonax rim cleaner from this board although that stuff stinks like nobody's business.

-Have gotten used to keeping it 9 and under above the speed limit with the solar attenuated shield. For fun I haven't tested how the V1 does with range but have a trip coming up to Daytona soon which usually has plenty of troopers along that corridor of I-95.

-Hope you all are enjoying yours as much as I am!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Very good call on having the dealership paint the lower plastic trims!

Funny enough my dealer told me you can actually order the dynamic with painted lower trim for an additional cost (around $1000-$1500) can't remember exactly how much it was.

I was shocked that they would offer this as it really leaves no reason to buy the more expensive autobiography model since the autobiography has the same bumpers as a dynamic just painted body color. Yes I know the interior is slightly different

Interesting to see that they painted those center of the rear bumper as that doesn't come painted on the autobiography, nor does the front center piece that you also have painted! Looks good, I like it!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! I know in other markets, I believe you can order painted lower trim. The ATB front and rear bumper corners do look slightly different with extra vents than the Dynamics, but it's very subtle, especially the front.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks! I know in other markets, I believe you can order painted lower trim. The ATB front and rear bumper corners do look slightly different with extra vents than the Dynamics, but it's very subtle, especially the front.
To be honest I know the rear is different but I never noticed the front to be any different?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes very subtle. I didn't realize it until I was reading on the UK boards.

HSE Dynamic with painted trim from Australia:
$_20.JPG

Autobiography:
LAND_ROVER__RANGE_ROVER_SPORT__AUTOBIOGRAPHY_DYNAMIC__DIESEL__RED__2014__OY64NNE-e01_md.jpg

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
They are different in the US. I had a SC v8 Dynamic before and noticed the small subtle liplet on each front cover beneath the small vents, and the small vents in the rear bumper sides. Majority of the folks won't ever see it. I didn't until a few months into owning the dynamic and noticed the ATB differences.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts