Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And so it begins...

Went to dealership to top off / refill diesel exhaust fluid, and they tried to tell me it was not included in my prepaid maintenance plan. Other dealerships I called (not close) said it was, and I have seen people on some forums indicating they were told top offs & refills were included if you had prepaid service contract.

Any experiences to note, comments or advice?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much did they charge you?

2016 RRS HSE TD6
I went to the dealership for an oil change, and the DEF light was on so they topped it off with two bottles of DEF (and charged me for the two bottles) in the driveway (since the truck was out of the shop already). They said if the light stayed on (which it did), I may have to add more, and that I was welcome as the DEF service was usually $ 280.00

Went back a second time, and they added two more bottles in driveway at no charge (no shop availability). Light stayed on, I called and hey said come in for shop service to fill the whole thing up instead of topping off for $ 125.00

I told them I was advised DEF was included when I purchased my pre-paid service contract, they said come in anyway and "we would figure it out". The will have a BIG problem with me if they try to charge me...

PS I found out there is a capacity of just over 13 liters in the DEF reservoir, so the four 1.5 liter bottles they added was way short. Depending on your driving habits you can use about 1 liter of DEF per 1000 miles FYI...will keep everyone posted ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
That is an insane price for pouring fluid into the DEF container. You get 8 liters of DEF on Amazon for around $50, so figure $75 to fill up entire tank.

2016 RRS HSE TD6

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
924 Posts
That is an insane price for pouring fluid into the DEF container. You get 8 liters of DEF on Amazon for around $50, so figure $75 to fill up entire tank.

2016 RRS HSE TD6
If you are near a major highway or truck stop by it straight on the island. Sometimes the DEF is sold in the "same" dispenser or a separate dispenser. I have not checked the costs in a while but probably less than $5.00 a gallon.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
924 Posts

2016 RRS HSE TD6
LOL. Its $12.00 at WallyMart for 2.5 gallons.

$ 2.80 at Pilot Flying J at the dispenser.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a 5 gallon Adblue jug from Mercedes for $20 when I was having my S class serviced just to have in the garage just in case I ran low.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought a 5 gallon Adblue jug from Mercedes for $20 when I was having my S class serviced just to have in the garage just in case I ran low.
That's a good price, but how do you pour it in the RRS DEF reservoir that requires bottles with a special screw on top cap to fill?

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
That's a good price, but how do you pour it in the RRS DEF reservoir that requires bottles with a special screw on top cap to fill?
I have bought DEF fluid at AutoZone and other auto parts stores in the past for my BMW X5. The one I usually bought had a nozzle and was super easy to pour. Just did not want to waste the time taking the X5 to the dealer...

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Mercedes Ad Blue jug comes with the appropriate screw on nozzle. You can also by 1/2 gallon jugs for $10 that have special s spouts attached to the bottle to pour in the holding tank

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the helpful comments on DEF availability / pricing!

What I am trying to find out is what experiences RRS owners are having about being charged or not for DEF fill ups / top offs at dealerships, with or without pre-paid maintenance packages?

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
73 Posts
DEF is a consumable product, it needs refill like diesel. Unless it is written on your contract, I think you will have to pay.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
This.
DEF is a consumable product, it needs refill like diesel. Unless it is written on your contract, I think you will have to pay.
I would say that if they are giving it away, they are making up for it elsewhere on the service/contract.
What they charge for it is unreal though....
Martin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts