RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really can't decide here. Previously had a 2012 RRS and my wife absolutely loved the car, her most favorite car ever. Bought it certified preowned and as soon as we were out of warranty by literally 500 miles it just started to need everything, Final thing was something like a $9,000 estimate to fix the suspension, brakes, etc. Had enough of that and traded it in on a X5. Same story, relatively trouble free until warranty was over...probably spent $6000 in repairs in the past year or so.

That brings me to my reason for being here and asking this question. Found a 16 RRS, under 40k miles, CPO till 1/23 or 100000 miles. It's priced under 40k however the resale of these scare me a lot. KBB already has the trade in value under 30k. I also am very tempted by the Model X, probably a 75d or 95d, 2016 as well. It will have a 4 yr or 50k warranty and from what I can find they are pretty inexpensive to operate and pretty much only need tires, wipers and wiper fluid. I know there is more to it but you get my point.

Any thoughts on the '16 RRS? Am I asking for trouble getting another one of these? All the internet has to say is if you buy a RR make sure its under warranty because it will be spending a lot of time at the dealer, etc.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experience.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry for the short answer, but this is a no-brainer; just put them side by side and have a look at them both.
Question answered, isn't?

More on topic: last summer I have bought a 2015 RRS (AB), with 60.000 kms, w/o warranty. Put additional 40.000 km in it in the last 12 months and had literally no costs at all (except of course the 90.000 km regular check up). Remember the 'Monday morning car'? Iguess, it is (still) also a question of a bit of luck/unluck with your (secondhand) car.
PS; 'internet says': it's a human/internet thing, only the unsatisfied votes reach out for the medium.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,155 Posts
I think if you are getting an RRS for under $40k you shouldn't worry about resale as the steep part of the depreciation curve has occurred. I don't even want to think about how much mine would get now with 75,000 miles on it compared to what I paid in 2015.

I do have an extended warranty to 100k miles but haven't really needed it. The L494 seems to be relatively reliable. It's not a Toyota but much better than the Land Rovers of the past.

At any rate I don't think Teslas have much better resale value. I've never had one, so I can't speak to the ownership but they are interesting looking vehicles to put it nicely.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hmm- I think the Model X will be atleast as problematic (if not more so) than a used Range Rover. On top of that, you have to deal with much worse build quality. Just looking at and sitting in the 2 cars should be enough to decide. I was tempted by a model s in the past, but the appalling build quality was just too obvious.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just not the right time for a Model X for us currently. It'll be our next SUV but for now the RRS is in our future.
Lowest they will go is 39,900, its a 2016 CPO, 3rd row, new brakes, new rotors and 2 new tires. It's also in near perfect condition.

Probably will call the dealer tomorrow to make it official. Waiting any longer risks it being sold or the value of my X5 trade decreasing. At this point I don't see the RRS coming down much at all from 39,000 and my X5 literally is about to fall apart....

·
Registered
86 Posts
I know a few people who had a love affair with a Tesla but it ended and they got rid of theirs. The Model X feels like breath of fresh air at first, with the nice touchscreen that has one of the best UI's in the car industry and the great acceleration. But after a while you notice the terrible quality materials and design of the interior and some have fit and finish issues, or paper thin paint. The novelty wears off. And autopilot isn't really that useful if you're someone who still enjoys actually driving. Fine for people who prefer to play with a phone while driving. The Range Rover Sport has more character and its own personality which I would easily choose. Land Rovers are not the cheapest vehicles to own but I personally don't care about that. They're not a good choice for people looking for the most economical transportation etc. Reliability -- I've had 3 that were really good, as mechanically reliable as the previous 4 audi's I owned. The only negatives are some glitches with the infotainment and the dealer experience is not nearly as good as my local audi dealership. But I can live with those negatives considering how much enjoyment I get from the Sport. Currently in a 2018 SVR. On social media sites and auto blogs it's become trendy to bash Land Rover but most of the comments and jokes are from people who have never had one. And some of the negative reputation was earned by LR 15 years ago and it's hard to shake that stuff. Anyway I'm way off-topic but sharing my perspective for what it's worth.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you go to the dealer repairs will always be expensive as you saw with your 2012 and your X5. Not sure why people only like to go to the dealer and are surprised when its big repair bills. The dealer is known as a stealer.

I just found out the new JLR dealership near my house charges $550 for an oil change.....just an oil change. lol no wonder people say this cars are expensive. And thought the others that charged $350 were expensive. You can buy the oil and filter for around $120-$130 and pay a indy $20 to do the labor. FYI for the oil change.

Back on topic is it the v8 the v6? The v8 dynamic would be a great choice otherwise I would take the model x over a base RRS V6. You see way too many RRS V6 these days everywhere and anywhere I like to be a little "unique". The X is a phenomenal looking car and will be a change up.

While the 16 RRS has depreciated, it has way more to go. The worst depreciation I ever had was on the l494 TD6. 2016 with around 60k miles trade in value was 25k middle of last year. The SC are a little better but if you don't plan on keeping this truck for at least 5 years you will lose money big time.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
381 Posts
These cars depreciate like nothing else, even on the used market: I bought mine in June 2018 for R1m, and now similar models are selling for R699-R899k

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Going with the RRS. It's a 2016, HSE, 35k miles with CPO warranty till 100k miles and/or 1/23 for $39k. Dealer is 10 min away should we have any issues requiring a visit. Tesla is in my future just not this week.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have a '16 Model X and (2) Sport. '14 and '19.

It's 2 really different cars, and it all depends on what you want.

Looks and craftsmanship. RRS period. Tesla cannot touch them. I prefer sitting in the RRS, but I prefer driving the X.

Especially with the issues of the delayed acceleration in the V8SC. The problem is once you get used to BEV's smooth and instant acceleration. It's hard to go back to ICE cars, but I still have my '19 RRS. But it does not get a lot of seat time.

From a driving perspective, the RRS is more visceral, nice roar, but it does not go anywhere fast compare to the X. The UI on the Teslas and the OTA updates, years ahead. Say what you will about Autopilot. It works. I've taken tons of road-trips in the X, Supercharging is not THAT much of an issue. Adds a few extra hours to trip, which doesn't bother me that much, but that could the biggest CON against BEVs, the charging. I have a '16 90D, takes full advantage of the free supercharging for road-trips.

The tech in the RRS is crap (granted, it's better in the '18s and newer). I still have delay camera on/off when parking, or just driving for the 1st time. OTA update is working now, but doesn't seem to fix much. BT issues here and there, I basically always use Apple CarPlay now. Wish it could do CarPlay maps to the HUD.

Even in Dynamic mode, the X takes corners better (lower center of gravity). I feel like my 2016 X drives better than my 2019 RRS ATB (don't hate me).

Panel gaps drives me crazy on the Teslas (I have a X/3/Y, call me a fanboy), if JLR ever comes out with a RRS BEV, I'll be first in line (don't want an I-Pace). I will probably always have a ICE car in the garage (zombie apocalypse), and it will be a RRS.

My 2 cents.

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
30 Posts
Such different cars that I rarely hear them compared. One is expensive, rugged, handsome, somewhat fast offroad tow vehicle. Other is super fast, super expensive electric people hauler with goofy looks, gimmicky doors, and limited range. Would be surprised to see anyone cross-shopping these. Think if you are honest with what your priorities are, one will rise to the top.

Jim

·
Registered
177 Posts
Lots of great feedback in here and I agree with most people. We own a 2017 RRS SCV8 Autobiography and a Model 3. I had briefly considered getting a Model X, but I ultimately didn't for the following reasons:

1) I want something I can take off-road.
2) I want a vehicle that can take me to the mountains and back on a single tank of gas or charge. The Model X would need to be charged once on the way up.
3) I want to not have to worry about my vehicle dying if I get stuck on mountain roads in a blizzard. This has happened once in the Range and it was a very comfortable experience. In an electric vehicle I would have been stressed out.
4) The RRS is a much more luxurious vehicle.
5) The RRS sits higher, which I like. Even in lifted mode the X isn't as tall.
6) The Model S/X are long overdue for a refresh, so buying one now would be a bad idea.

We love our Model 3 and eventually want to have an electric off-road capable vehicle. We have a deposit on the Rivian R1S and the Cybertruck. We may eventually swap the 3 for an X if it gets refreshed.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Panel gaps drives me crazy on the Teslas (I have a X/3/Y, call me a fanboy), if JLR ever comes out with a RRS BEV, I'll be first in line (don't want an I-Pace). I will probably always have a ICE car in the garage (zombie apocalypse), and it will be a RRS.

My 2 cents.

-ThinkMac-
I'm in the same boat as you haha. Although there will be a time where an EV will be better suited for the zombie apocalypse when you can solar charge efficiently enough!

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
226 Posts
The build quality on a X is of a vehicle that should cost $30K. Tesla’s remind me of iPhones, okay for 2 years then time for the new model.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just found out the new JLR dealership near my house charges $550 for an oil change.....just an oil change. lol no wonder people say this cars are expensive. And thought the others that charged $350 were expensive. You can buy the oil and filter for around $120-$130 and pay a indy $20 to do the labor. FYI for the oil change.
Just out of curiosity, where are you buying oil filters for $120? I see them as $10-$38 on AutoZone. What am I missing?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe this has changed, but I sort of doubt it. Because of the demand for new Teslas, they have not put a lot of effort into providing repair parts. Many people who have had incidents involving body damage to their Tesla simply cannot get them fixed and, eventually, their insurance has to total them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Maybe this has changed, but I sort of doubt it. Because of the demand for new Teslas, they have not put a lot of effort into providing repair parts. Many people who have had incidents involving body damage to their Tesla simply cannot get them fixed and, eventually, their insurance has to total them.
For sure. I know that one of the challenges they had with parts is that they treated hardware as if it were software; making frequent small running changes to a slew of parts. Apparently, many of these weren't even tracked with new part numbers so it can be hard to find the right part for a particular car. I'm sure in some cases it doesn't matter; just get the latest/greatest but there are cases where the newer version won't fit an older car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts