RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, about to pull trigger on a 2016 RRS HSE, my first RR. I found this new bulletin dated May 15 with pricing and changes from the APril bulleting I see on this board. New bulleting notes that remote start will not be available on 16 model year. After remote starting my Grand Cherokee the past 2 brutal New York winters it would be a big disappointment.

http://cdn.ovalnews.com/pdf/mpr15-09r-no-invoice.pdf

Is there newer info than this?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
There were several reports in the past few months that remote start would be available starting on MY16s, but that bulletin settles it... Either Land Rover decided the system was still too buggy for prime time, or didn't get the blessing from DOT to use its remote start system in North America (or may have simply decided the system represents a potential liability in North America... Wouldn't be the first time some tech features are available on Land Rovers abroad but not here across the pond. Old timers will remember venture cam, navigation on the move, video playback on the front monitor while parked, global windows close with the remote... All features that, at one point in time, were available on Land Rover models across the pond but not here in North America.)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi all, about to pull trigger on a 2016 RRS HSE, my first RR. I found this new bulletin dated May 15 with pricing and changes from the APril bulleting I see on this board. New bulleting notes that remote start will not be available on 16 model year. After remote starting my Grand Cherokee the past 2 brutal New York winters it would be a big disappointment.

http://cdn.ovalnews.com/pdf/mpr15-09r-no-invoice.pdf

Is there newer info than this?
I asked my dealer about this just recently - he said he "believes" remote start will be built into the car and accessible via the smart phone app (but may not be right away). However, take that with a grain of salt. There are many questions that have been unanswered by dealers and/or corporate. These are the problems with trying to buy cars on the fringe of a release date. I'm in the same boat with a new '16 order myself.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
906 Posts
So the climate function of the app is essentially useless since the engine wont run.
Not sure on what the updated specs are for remote climate but from what I read months ago (at least for heat) is that there is a separate heater for the remote use. I believe it was in the 2014 or 2015 UK version and called timed climate control. Set the timer for 1 hour (or whatever) before you enter your vehicle. I like that way since you could set your car to heat even before you woke up in the morning.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
flyersfan, I commented on another thread also. In the UK they call this heater the FBH (fuel burning heater) and everything I have read points to it only being available as an option on UK models for the past several years. If you do a search on the UK forum, you can find lots of info about the FBH.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Here is what I'm doing to add remote start:

http://www.autoingenuity.net
That will void your warranty for anything electrical or electronically related.

It's been very well versed and discussed that remote start on a rover is a bad idea and warranty issues will be voided due to an aftermarket system.

·
Registered
275 Posts
That will void your warranty for anything electrical or electronically related.

It's been very well versed and discussed that remote start on a rover is a bad idea and warranty issues will be voided due to an aftermarket system.
Personally I don't care if my warranty is voided, i don't need/want it if it means I have to gimp my vehicle. I'm the kind of guy who voids all my warranties the first day I buy just about anything. I just dropped a supercharger in a two week old vehicle!

My thinking: I spent good money on this vehicle and I want it to do everything I want it to do. Tune/pulley, remote start, aftermarket sound, etc. heck maybe I'll put some lambo doors on it too (kidding about that one). I can't live life worrying about "what if I void the warranty", I can always pay to fix something if it comes down to it.

After talking with the engineer that made the product, I am 100% confident in his solution. If people are having problems, it was likely due to an incorrect install job in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

·
Banned
305 Posts
lol at the reviews of that app. I think the second comment says it all
I have incontrol Remote but haven't set it up yet, if this is the same thing you guys are talking about?

http://www.landroverusa.com/ownership/incontrol/index.html
What a travesty

by kirorisk This app is built in such a horrid manner that it demands a review. I wish the star system would allow zero stars. The user experience is exceedingly repulsive. The navigation is negatively non-standard, unintuitive, and alarmingly ridiculous. The behavior, and lack of responsiveness is atrocious. Land Rover, if you wish to attract a younger, technologically savvy clientele, you must invest in software; specifically a development division that is well aware of the intricacies of mobile development. For now, this app cannot possibly belong in the App Store. Its existence is not only disrespectful to Land Rover's customers, but it also humiliates the company itself. I will shortly delete this app, as I cannot bear to have on my phone such a gross misrepresentation of the vehicle I drive.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I know incontrol is rubbish, but it was refering to "remote start" which is the title of this thread, Landrover says:

" Remote start your vehicle, check your fuel levels, find your vehicle in a busy parking lot and even check that you haven’t left a window open – all through a handy smartphone app"

There are two separate Apps, LR REMOTE and LR APPS, I haven't set up Remote yet, so I don't know if it will start my RRS remotely or not.

·
Registered
207 Posts
There were several reports in the past few months that remote start would be available starting on MY16s, but that bulletin settles it... Either Land Rover decided the system was still too buggy for prime time, or didn't get the blessing from DOT to use its remote start system in North America (or may have simply decided the system represents a potential liability in North America... Wouldn't be the first time some tech features are available on Land Rovers abroad but not here across the pond. Old timers will remember venture cam, navigation on the move, video playback on the front monitor while parked, global windows close with the remote... All features that, at one point in time, were available on Land Rover models across the pond but not here in North America.)
I was told that my '16 will play a DVD when in park on the front screen. Haven't tried it yet and not much use for it, but hey, why not.

·
Banned
305 Posts
DVD playback in front with car in park has been standard since the 2014 model. you could make it play in drive with the previous model but it was a fiber optic mod that cost $200.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just don't understand why the Foreign automakers don't or won't offer remote start? This has been common on American cars for years!

·
Registered
2 Posts
just got my 2016 evoque HSE and can confirm remote start works. With the enviromental controls, door locks, etc. and trip computer in the APP.

the dealer was shocked,. the prior year apparently did not.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
He has an evoque not a sport. his evoque's abilities do not apply to this thread. at a stretch it can be a hint that remote start MAY be coming down the road to the 405 and sport. Quite frankly I think this is great. I;d rather see them test out new tech on lesser models instead of dumping it on the upper models for troubleshooting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts