RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have started to look into the market of used RRS, preferably 16' &17's under 45k. So far, in Northern VA I've found quiet a few with under 35k miles and clean car fax's. We have looked at HSE's and a few HST's. As far as yearly maintenance cost, assuming no major failures, what can I look at to spend. Also, I can do the oil changes myself. Are the cost on the HST's anymore expensive? One final question is wether we should stick to a LR dealership or is it ok to buy a RRS from a non LR dealership. That being said, we have a local dealership that sells high end vehicles (Ferrari to a LR). If the car is clean of accidents and major repairs, is it ok to look at purchasing one from here? Thanks

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,083 Posts
HST is the same engine as the HSE just 380 hp instead of 340. Has a lot of cosmetic upgrades and more standard features (i.e. 875W stereo standard in HST but option in HSE). I would pay a little more for an HST than a similar mileage HSE but don't let the dealer try to convince you the HST's were super limited. Service costs should be identical.

Maintenance is around every 16-17k miles and depending on the dealer costs somewhere between $350-400 on average. I haven't gotten to my 5 year service yet which apparently costs more. If you do the oil changes yourself this will save you a lot of money as there's a lot of dealer markup.

The only reason to stick to an LR dealership is if they CPO it, or if they are one of those snobby dealers who don't give loaners to people who didn't buy it from them, otherwise it doesn't really matter where you get it from, I'd have a mechanic check it out prior to purchasing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HST is the same engine as the HSE just 380 hp instead of 340. Has a lot of cosmetic upgrades and more standard features (i.e. 875W stereo standard in HST but option in HSE). I would pay a little more for an HST than a similar mileage HSE but don't let the dealer try to convince you the HST's were super limited. Service costs should be identical.

Maintenance is around every 16-17k miles and depending on the dealer costs somewhere between $350-400 on average. I haven't gotten to my 5 year service yet which apparently costs more. If you do the oil changes yourself this will save you a lot of money as there's a lot of dealer markup.

The only reason to stick to an LR dealership is if they CPO it, or if they are one of those snobby dealers who don't give loaners to people who didn't buy it from them, otherwise it doesn't really matter where you get it from, I'd have a mechanic check it out prior to purchasing.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. Oil changes seem very straight forward with the RRS, especially with the oil extractor. Some of these dealerships, other than LR, have been more open to negotiation; although I do feel more comfortable buying the Sport from a LR dealership. Are most dealerships open to you taking the car to a mechanic before you purchase?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I started out with the independents and then found what I was looking for at a dealer. I'm sure you've already checked out Land Rover of Chantilly that's where I bought mine. Low mileage, CPO great service, but no real movement in price, other than that I'm pretty happy.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,083 Posts
All dealers should be open to having a vehicle checked out by a mechanic--if they balk that's a red flag in my mind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. I just purchased my 2016 RR TD6 less than a week and a half ago from CarMax in White Marsh, MD. Sale price was less than $42k with 42,883 miles. A nice surprise for me was that I called the LR dealership in Harrisburg to find out about extended warranty as I’m a first time RR owner (sidebar: this has been my “dream car” for the last 30 years, lol). Anyhow, found out that it’s still under LR factory warranty up to 50k miles or until June 2020. I did purchase an extended factory warranty for 8 years/100k miles. So, if you find your ride outside of a LR dealership, you can call to see if it’s still under warranty which gives some piece of mind when buying a used European car, IMO. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This answered my question! Also Mo_likee what did CarMax charge you for the 8 year/100k max care warranty? I'm debating between using Carmax Vs CPO for My RR Sport HSE.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This answered my question! Also Mo_likee what did CarMax charge you for the 8 year/100k max care warranty? I'm debating between using Carmax Vs CPO for My RR Sport HSE.
Sorry, I should have clarified. I purchased my EW through LR. CarMax’s best was $3,900/125k with $200 deductible. LR/Continental is $0 deductible. I went with LR because I wanted to be sure original manufacture parts were used, plus they offered a pickup service and I live an hour away from their dealership. The electronics in our babies are finicky and I didn’t want to deal with any possible ‘side-effect’ issues because CarMax may have used a subpar part. Go with what gives you better piece of mind especially if you’re planning on keeping the car for awhile. I’m hoping to still be driving my TD6 in the next 15+ years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ahh ok. I'm following now! I'm actually surprised the Carmax Warranty was only 3,900/125K miles. That really isn't that bad! Was it generally an inclusive warranty except for the obvious wear and tear items? I've heard mostly good things about carmax warranties but some bad as well. I know an extended warranty from a dealer will usually beat out carmax any day of the week though.What kind of policy did you get from Range Rover and how much more was it compared to the carmax? Right now I'm debating getting my RR Sport from either Carmax or a CPO from Range Rover. The CPO from Range Rover is much further away so I'd probably have to have the vehicle shipped. My Carmax is right up the street. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
NP, I would want someone to help me out. :)

Here’s a comparison overview. Both state they’re bumper to bumper, but like you, I believe the dealership EW would be better. Especially with a company like LR who, unfortunately, has this stigma about their cars being unreliable. They want to be able to back their “$&i!” up and break that stigma since their vehicles are actually pretty awesome. Just high tech stuff comes with high tech problems sometimes.

LR/Continental
$3,810 8years or 100k mi, no deductible
Free loaner drop-off within a 2hr radius
Free towing and roadside assistance

CarMax
$3,900 ?years or 125k mi, $200 deductible
Free loaner, don’t think they offer drop-off
Unsure if they offer free towing and roadside assistance

Oh, and one thing I would ask about the CarMax warranty is if it’s transferable and refundable. My LR warranty is transferable if I were to sell the car and I can also get a pro-rated refund at any time during the coverage or prior to selling the car. :) Almost forgot about that one. Thanks for jogging my brain!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is all super super helpful! Really had no idea the LR warranty would be that cheap either. Also in terms of reliability ALL of the higher end car manufacturers have reliability issues not just land rover. I've had plenty of issues with my Audi A6 but because it's under the CPO warranty dealing with them has been a painless process and I'm always able to get a loaner. So I'm assuming to be eligible for the LR Continental warranty the vehicle still needs to still be in the original manufacturer warranty period? That's usually how the extended warranties work so I'm assuming RR is the same way. I totally don't blame you for going with the Land Rover warranty, that's a much better deal for pretty much the same price. Btw before you purchased from Carmax were you looking at any CPOS from Land Rover directly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is all super super helpful! Really had no idea the LR warranty would be that cheap either. Also in terms of reliability ALL of the higher end car manufacturers have reliability issues not just land rover. I've had plenty of issues with my Audi A6 but because it's under the CPO warranty dealing with them has been a painless process and I'm always able to get a loaner. So I'm assuming to be eligible for the LR Continental warranty the vehicle still needs to still be in the original manufacturer warranty period? That's usually how the extended warranties work so I'm assuming RR is the same way. I totally don't blame you for going with the Land Rover warranty, that's a much better deal for pretty much the same price. Btw before you purchased from Carmax were you looking at any CPOS from Land Rover directly?
I was set on getting a TD6 and there wasn’t much available within a 250 mile radius. So, when I saw this, I put it on hold immediately. You are correct in your estimation about the vehicle needing to be within the original LR warranty period. I also agree with you in regards to reliability issues with the higher end cars. My husband has a 3 series BMW. I guess LR has a worse stigma because they’re not as widely manufactured. However, now he keeps wanting to drive my Rover. Lol...

I would be interested to see an update of what you decided to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry for the late replay! Have been busy with work. I used to get 3 series bwm's quite often when my 535i was in the shop so I can see why he always wants to drive your RR lol

I'm having the same dilemma! Finding a CPO RR spec'ed the way I want outside of the immediate area can be somewhat difficult outside of carmax. So my decision going forward would be to have a CPO shipped outside of my area or find one at a carmax and purchase the extended LR Continental warranty. I'd def get a couple different quotes from land drover regarding the price of the continental extended warranty if I went the carmax route as those rates can vary quite a bit from dealer to dealer. I will def keep you posted!

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
As an FYI guys: if you go to your nearest dealer and tell them you want a xy CPO vehicle, they can look at the entire dealer network in the country. Just like with new cars, dealers can swap vehicles and get what you want from across the country. They will work with you to get what you need. Maybe not all dealers, but most of them for sure.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Continental warranty sucks and it is NOT a LR warranty. It just happens to be the warranty that particular dealer sells. Some sell ally, some CNA, etc. Do some reviews of the warranty and you’ll see how bad they are and any reputable extended warranty covers loaner cars. A pick up and drop off is just billed to the extended warranty it’s purely a gimmick many naive people fall into.

Carmax warranty is through easy care one of the best in the industry. Look up reviews for them. many RR users have had tremendous success using easy care. Doug Demoro has done whole videos about it. They use OEM parts and complete the repair at your LR dealer. One of the best you can get if they allow your truck to get it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Continental warranty sucks and it is NOT a LR warranty. It just happens to be the warranty that particular dealer sells. Some sell ally, some CNA, etc. Do some reviews of the warranty and you’ll see how bad they are and any reputable extended warranty covers loaner cars. A pick up and drop off is just billed to the extended warranty it’s purely a gimmick many naive people fall into.

Carmax warranty is through easy care one of the best in the industry. Look up reviews for them. many RR users have had tremendous success using easy care. Doug Demoro has done whole videos about it. They use OEM parts and complete the repair at your LR dealer. One of the best you can get if they allow your truck to get it.
Hi. Just wondering if this is from your personal experience about Continental warranty? I did do research about them and, as with all warranty companies (including CarMax’s MaxCare) they’re mixed reviews. Also, CarMax wasn’t willing to drive an hour away to pick me up vs LR who I had them put into writing and guarantee a 2hr pickup radius. So, apart from being possibly naive, I hope I hadn’t chose wrong. Lol... Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts