RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago, I was coming back from a long road trip and my coolant level light came on low. It would come on and off through the trip home. When I got home I tipped off the coolant myself. Today I was driving on the highway and my engine was overheating and I immediately pulled over on the side of the highway. There was some smoke coming out from the hood when I pulled over. I took a look under the hood and it seemed like there was a lot of heat coming out of the coolant tank. I got it towed to Land Rover. Anyone know what can be wrong? Thanks!

·
Registered
615 Posts
It might have something to do with the 21 year difference in range rover models

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ok wrong forum, but assuming your engine in the ~350HP 5.0 V8 - like I have in my LR4 - they are notorious for cooling water pump leakage, either that or a leaking (plastic) cross over pipe. Relatively easy to fix as the pump is 'externally mounted' and readily available from different suppliers - for obvious reasons. I need to change out my pump as the level is slowly dropping. Figure about $150 and 3 hrs of work if I do it myself.

Some people claim you need to change the pump every 50k miles. Otherwise the engine is great - so pick your poison.

Your overheating event is likely to be air in the system as you let the level drop too low and you did not vent the system after you topped up. A lot of engine cooling system designs are sensitive to trapped air when you start messing with it. Anyway with any car I recommend that you stop and take action for every little light that comes on. They are designed to give early warnings and this can avoid big repair bills.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts