Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Can anyone point me in the right direction on changing the oil on a 2016 model year Range Rover HSE Td6? There is a tube on the left side of the engine with a 1/4 turn cap on it. is that the oil extraction tube? I cannot find any info on the 2016 TD6.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
For the Sport? On the 405 there is a similar extraction tube in that location for standard vacuum oil changes. Work like a charm. You can see the how to video by UmbertoB on the L320 which is pretty much the same for all extraction oil changes. Search under his name for the instructions. A few others have posted similar descriptions here on the 494 and in the 405 sections. HOWEVER, the diesels have a different oil recommendation so please follow your owners manual for the correct oil and grade. Although it get cold down there at night in January, you most likely don't need below zero grade oils of Minnesota... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lr494 is the version 2 rrs after 2014 regardless of engine or trim. On the note of engine oil change, my local agent is recommending once a year oil change at 26000 km / 16000miles whichever comes earlier. Mention the newer jlr ingenium engine can even go 35k km before change. Is this the normal? My previous bmw I change every 10000km. And my rrs is a diesel.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
41 Posts
I did mine recently. Yes, the tube with the cap on the left is the extraction tube and the filter is under the cover on the top of the engine. I did take the pan off the bottom to verify that was the tube. The tube is connected to the bottom of the crankcase so it does get all the oil out which is nice. Would have taken 15 minutes now that I know that is the right tube. I have a 12V extraction pump and was able to just hook up to the power terminals on the left side of the engine bay. My pump has a small tube that generally fits into the dipstick tube and would not fit into the tube on the engine. Since the outside diameter of the engine extraction tube and my pump extraction tube were about the same, I just used a piece of rubber fuel hose to connect the two together. You will want a good seal when connecting your pump to the extraction tube so it will have good suction.

The service reset is not something I would have EVER figure out. This is from another thread.

1) Turned on ignition (foot off brake)
2) Open Hood
3) Open Driver door
4) hold brake & gas for 30 seconds
5) Let off brake gas
6) Turn off ignition.

Mine reset after about 10 seconds.

Kris

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
12 Posts
Kris,
Did you change the oil filter too? After using a 32MM socket to remove the filter assembly cap with the filter element in it. Do I need a tool to get the filter out? Mine looks like it is held in with 4 fingers next to the pressure relief valve. I don't want to break one of them or am I just wimping out and not pulling hard enough?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts