RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting a few quotes this weekend from a couple local shops. I’m not car savvy at all so I’m looking to get this done professionally. I have the original lame 250w speakers ?

With that said, does anyone have experience updating their sound system by an audio company and if so, what costs should I be expecting? Should I even bother inquiring with a Land Rover dealership about upgrading audio?

Also any tips or pointers of what I should be getting? I’m not bass crazy but would getting a subwoofer make sense if they’re going in there anyway?

I want to try and keep everything looking as stock as possible. I’m a minimalist so I like the simplicity of the interior.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If anyone is interested or for future reference I went to a car audio shop today that had excellent yelp reviews and also have worked on a few RRS so I was comfortable with going with them.

We took a listen to the speakers and he was surprised how good the front sounded but how bad the back speakers were. So we placed the audio to the front and instantly the rattle and distortion was gone. He recommended to keep the front speakers, switch out the back speakers and add both a sub woofer and amplifier. He's confident that with the amplifier, the front speakers will sound even better and if I'm still not happy, I can have them replace the front at a later time. I liked that he didn't try to up sell me on getting everything replaced so that was nice.

So this is what I'm having installed on Monday:

Audio Control 6 Channel Amplifier LC-6. 1200 -$699
Alpine 6.5" Speakers X-S65 - $399
Sound Deadening (2) - $130
Cables, RCA, Remote Wire - $99
Labor - $$425
Subwoofer - TBD (estimating $150-300 depending, hoping to find something to fit the back right empty compartment)

So total comes to about $1755 minus the sub so lets just say about $2055 with sub not including tax.

I'm happy with that and will report back after the install.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh gosh... disregard everything I said above.

Ended up speaking to someone more knowledgeable about the Range Rover system and ended up doing a complete audio overhaul. I decided to go ahead and just do it.

This is what I'm having done:

- (2) Focal 3 Way Speakers PS 165 F3
- (1) JL Audio Subwoofer 10TW3-D4
- (1) JL Audio 8 Channel Amp VX800
- (4) Sounded Deadening
- (1) Amp Kit
+ Install

Came out to about 4.8k for everything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another update regarding my set up above... at first there was still some distortion on maybe 40% of the songs I was listening to. It was driving me crazy and honestly I was feeling like I wasted abut 5k. While it sounded "good" there was just still something off.

But after some digging online, the culprit was Spotify and 2 specific settings. A simple google search of "Spotify distortion car audio speakers" showed many search results of people with similar scenarios. Some had it so bad they thought their speakers were blown.

By default, in the settings for Spotify, there's a section called "Enable Audio Normalization", disabling that along with turning off the equalizer has made a world of difference in the quality of the audio, like wow!

Where some songs with really deep (not loud and not necessarily bass) lows, the speakers distorted like crazy. This change fixes it and then some.

The audio is so much more clear, crips and rich. It's bold and amazing. And finally feeling like the 5k I spent was absolutely worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts