RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Thank you for posting this!! So many choices, it's no longer a case of buying a Car, it's now become a Hobby :thumb:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you for posting this!! So many choices, it's no longer a case of buying a Car, it's now become a Hobby :thumb:
Yes the choices are fun, and the most fun part of buying a new car is designing it yourself. And I LOVE my 2008 RRS and would like another one when the time comes. But the thought of buying a car without even a test drive or sitting in it (my dealer never has any stock), begging the dealer just to get MSRP and not over it, and then waiting over 6 months - not to mention that they think they are doing you a great favor by lowering themselves to sell you a car - well for all those reasons I dread the idea. Yes, there is nothing like a Rover, but I'll have to think long and hard before I go through the aggravation. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Yes the choices are fun, and the most fun part of buying a new car is designing it yourself. And I LOVE my 2008 RRS and would like another one when the time comes. But the thought of buying a car without even a test drive or sitting in it (my dealer never has any stock), begging the dealer just to get MSRP and not over it, and then waiting over 6 months - not to mention that they think they are doing you a great favor by lowering themselves to sell you a car - well for all those reasons I dread the idea. Yes, there is nothing like a Rover, but I'll have to think long and hard before I go through the aggravation. Just my 2 cents.
A few here have good dealers, to the rest of us you are preaching to the choir!! Time will change some of this. I drove to several of the dealers in LA the last few weeks, when I wanted to review my colors selections, and there was some unsold 2014 inventory at all the dealers.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wow, that is one awful looking brochure. The pimento looks pink, it appears we have 6 choices of black woods, etc. Its as if someone scanned it?

If a dealer tried to charge you over msrp I'd report them to JLR, probably frowned upon for them to be doing that. You wouldn't walk into best buy around Christmas time and see them mark up the price of a playstation or Xbox, or walk into apple on release day and find out they are charging double due to demand would you? While it's technically legal to do so, most OEMs do not support their authorized dealers engaging in that type of stuff. Not sure what JLR thinks of it, but I'd let them know none the less. Especially if you are ordering a vehicle and not taking it off the lot!

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Wow, that is one awful looking brochure. The pimento looks pink, it appears we have 6 choices of black woods, etc. Its as if someone scanned it?

If a dealer tried to charge you over msrp I'd report them to JLR, probably frowned upon for them to be doing that. You wouldn't walk into best buy around Christmas time and see them mark up the price of a playstation or Xbox, or walk into apple on release day and find out they are charging double due to demand would you? While it's technically legal to do so, most OEMs do not support their authorized dealers engaging in that type of stuff. Not sure what JLR thinks of it, but I'd let them know none the less. Especially if you are ordering a vehicle and not taking it off the lot!
This OEM does support markups where appropriate. There's nothing new or unusual about short-supply, high-end cars selling above MSRP.

·
Registered
275 Posts
This OEM does support markups where appropriate. There's nothing new or unusual about short-supply, high-end cars selling above MSRP.
What a shame, I know mercedes will adjust a dealers future allocation if they catch them doing that. I wouldn't support a dealer that did that personally. This isn't a limited edition vehicle, it's on its second year already of the redesign. If supply is low at this point it's because they want it to be.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
What a shame, I know mercedes will adjust a dealers future allocation if they catch them doing that. I wouldn't support a dealer that did that personally. This isn't a limited edition vehicle, it's on its second year already of the redesign. If supply is low at this point it's because they want it to be.
Really. That's a rather incorrect assumption. And it's not exactly reasonable to compare Mercedes to Land Rover - you'll draw an infinite number of incorrect conclusions. But Ms MDX will now yell at me if I repeat once again why Range Rovers are in short supply.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
`)

Hey, i'm not so bad! I can understand why some dealers would try to take advantage of low supply and high demand ... it is business after all. I think for many of us the issue is that LR or LR USA controls where we can buy the cars, so those of us in "less civilized areas" such as NY and LA are forced to give our business to those dealers, instead of being able to shop around for better price or more importantly better customer service.

But as they say, where there's a will, there's a way, so I'm buying from out of state. Just the principle that I do not want to reward a dealer who gouges or another that expected me to wait 6+ months just on their word (no written documents).

One Step Ahead, if you search here and on RR section, you will see we discussed this quite passionately in the last few months!

Totya, I looked at the map and you are one town over from my in-laws. Husband went to Bishop Guertin HS many years ago!

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
`)

Hey, i'm not so bad! I can understand why some dealers would try to take advantage of low supply and high demand ... it is business after all. I think for many of us the issue is that LR or LR USA controls where we can buy the cars, so those of us in "less civilized areas" such as NY and LA are forced to give our business to those dealers, instead of being able to shop around for better price or more importantly better customer service.

But as they say, where there's a will, there's a way, so I'm buying from out of state. Just the principle that I do not want to reward a dealer who gouges or another that expected me to wait 6+ months just on their word (no written documents).

One Step Ahead, if you search here and on RR section, you will see we discussed this quite passionately in the last few months!

Totya, I looked at the map and you are one town over from my in-laws. Husband went to Bishop Guertin HS many years ago!
it is a small world...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Definitely, when you add in their rules about what dealers you can buy from, it sounds a lot like price fixing. The new s550 coupe design 1 edition is far more limited (and since it's a run of only 400, actually *is* limited). But hey, if your ok with it more power to ya. I didn't pay over sticker for my 15 sport atb and wouldn't, but I can understand why some people would. Sorry you got bent out of shape with me referencing mercedes, I could of said any brand just about. It doesn't matter why there in short supply, and unless you work high up in JLR you'd just be speculating anyways.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Definitely, when you add in their rules about what dealers you can buy from, it sounds a lot like price fixing. The new s550 coupe design 1 edition is far more limited (and since it's a run of only 400, actually *is* limited). But hey, if your ok with it more power to ya. I didn't pay over sticker for my 15 sport atb and wouldn't, but I can understand why some people would. Sorry you got bent out of shape with me referencing mercedes, I could of said any brand just about. It doesn't matter why there in short supply, and unless you work high up in JLR you'd just be speculating anyways.
I didn't mean to come across as bent out of shape, I just pointed out that comparing the two companies is absolutely wrong. Mercedes makes around 1.5 million cars a year, about 300.000 in Alabama. Land Rover makes just a little more than this Mercedes Alabama factory alone. The reasons for the short supply of FFRR and RRSs are mostly well-known facts actually and there's hardly anything artificial about them. But you're right about it not being important. I was surprised by your statement that just because high demand you find dealer price increases unacceptable, that's all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts