RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
36 Posts
agh, I was about to pull the trigger on a 2014 RRS 5.0L with 46kmiles and 10k mile avg OCI. Not sure how I am going to find a used one with 5k mile OCI or if I should even try...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
agh, I was about to pull the trigger on a 2014 RRS 5.0L with 46kmiles and 10k mile avg OCI. Not sure how I am going to find a used one with 5k mile OCI or if I should even try...
Don’t let my issue discourage you. I think I am that one in thousands who this has happened to. They are great trucks and the SC is definitely fun to drive and now that I am spending all this money trying to get it back up running I will not be getting rid of it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
the timing chain stretching + failure was mostly on the previous gen RRS (L320), I haven't seen any reports on the L494.

It would be worth to find out the exact cause of this failure.
Absolutely correct Naks! OP, yes, I have to have my "AJ-V8" totally replaced and it wasn't due to the timing chain failure or stretch. I went to a great and reputable dealer for the diagnosis and repair/engine swap. Range Rover North Atlanta where their shop foreman and master mechanic have over 45 years of working specifically for/on Rovers between them. My engine "spun a rod" due to the previous owner NOT changing oil enough and letting the oil level too low too frequently they told me and were quite sure of. The Crank Shaft had gouge marks on it and the Rod and bearing slipped/failed due to the aforementioned poor oil interval changes and being in a constantly low oil sump level. In their 40+ years of working on Rovers they have only seen 2 or 3 5.0Liter Super Charged engines come in with this problem because the AJ-V8 Rovers are so strongly built especially in the lower end of the engine. But nothing is bullet proof when it involves dirty oil and not enough of it. I'm betting you are the 2nd owner of your Rover OP... I really hope you get it resolved and are under full warranty...

·
Registered
337 Posts
jonflores I thought you just bought this truck? You changed the oil every 7500 since new or since you got it used? JW don't mean to sound rude in anyway.

How much did the new engine run you? Sounds like a good deal and best of luck how long is the whole repair taking

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
jonflores I thought you just bought this truck? You changed the oil every 7500 since new or since you got it used? JW don't mean to sound rude in anyway.

How much did the new engine run you? Sounds like a good deal and best of luck how long is the whole repair taking
Negative, however I did but used not new and my warranty expired not too long ago and was looking into buying the extended warranty just before this happened...
New engine cost me 13k plus all additional gaskets, water pump etc. it is shipping to my shop Monday from California. I am expecting another 3-4K in labor install. ?
Defiantly wrong timing for all this with the pandemic going on but I have to fix it now. Lesson learned for next time BUY extended warranty right away!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jonflores - sorry to hear about this. I just got my '14 with 72K on the clock, and being the Nervous Nelly that I am, I bought an exclusionary extended warranty with it. If you do look into extended warranties, be sure to get an exclusionary one. It'll be more expensive, but likely worth it (if only for the peace of mind) in the long run.

·
Registered
258 Posts

Hams chiming in here... But I'll tell you what a Dealer Swap costs A new "AJ-V8" with a ruined engine... first cost is the tear down/diagnosis of 4K... and then the install of a new "AJ-V8" is $37,000... If you give the "Blown Engine" back to JLR ( and they will certainly request just this...) they will allot/give you 8K for it... then they will crate it up, and ship it back to the UK for analysis... So after all is said and done it's a $34K+ deal from my experience in February...

That said... The "New" Rover "AJ-V8 with Eaton Twin Vortices Engine and said Supercharger combo along with the JLR Software is most certainly my Lifetime favorite engine and supercharger combo ever... by the way"... is a "bad mamma jamma" that much I can attest. She's so hot, torquey, and the Horse Power is flagrantly so juiced up that I feel like I'm back in a "Shine Runnin' or Track-Car"... In Dynamic Mode she absolutely scares "me sacks"... even with the new Pirelli Scorpion's All-Seasons. That said, every day I test her more and more on the streets when no other vehicles or pedestrians are around and every day I do... I get a bit more confident.

Pic below of me changing the oil 1,500 miles after the new engine and this will be Standard Protocol every 5,000-7,000 Miles without delay! It's too easy to pick up a 6+2 case of Castrol "Professional 0w-20 & OEM Filter" for $150 bones... And with a Sump-Pump... a 90mm billet filter wrench, and some quality ramps... It takes as much time for me to change the oil as it does putting the tools away. And best yet, I save $400+ and time loss of taking it to the dealer when performed in my own driveway. Plus I get an paper/physical invoice from the JLR dealer with an itemized list of materials bought, their price, and their physical documentation in invoice format to put in manual log book...
Rover's First Oil Change.jpg

Pic of the easiest oil change I've ever performed below...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Negative, however I did but used not new and my warranty expired not too long ago and was looking into buying the extended warranty just before this happened...
New engine cost me 13k plus all additional gaskets, water pump etc. it is shipping to my shop Monday from California. I am expecting another 3-4K in labor install. ?
Defiantly wrong timing for all this with the pandemic going on but I have to fix it now. Lesson learned for next time BUY extended warranty right away!!!!
Where in the world did you find a new 5.0Liter "AJ-V8" for 13K?. The swap on mine for a new one from the UK costed north of $40K... JLR gave me a $7,500 core charge for the blown engine putting it to about $34,000 parts, labor, etc...
Warranty company paid for it but it took an Act Of God to get them to do it. [email protected] fought me tooth and nail...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ham,
Why did you use the ramps?
To get her perfectly level in my drive way... If you look above the driver's door I have an orange "inclin-ometer" if that is a word... showing an almost perfect 0* reading. I wanted to get he level as could be as to drain every bit of that dirty oil out of the sump that I could. It was only 1500 miles since the new engine swap and that is probably the most important oil change a new engine could have. I was expecting it to still have some amber color to it... but it was just as dirty as a 6-7K mile plus oil change in appearance. Probably due to all of the parts synch-ing... the rings to the piston's walls/port, the valves, the crankshaft and cams, etc... I should have changed it at 1,000 miles but got a stomach flu...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Where in the world did you find a new 5.0Liter "AJ-V8" for 13K?. The swap on mine for a new one from the UK costed north of $40K... JLR gave me a $7,500 core charge for the blown engine putting it to about $34,000 parts, labor, etc...
Warranty company paid for it but it took an Act Of God to get them to do it. [email protected] fought me tooth and nail...
WOW!!! 40k???? I found a place in California ( TAPA Jaguar and Land Rover ) where I bought the new engine with the reinforced time chains ( comes with warranty of course) . He also added all additional components ( water pump, gaskets, hoses and all ) for additional cost of course. It shipped to me yesterday and should be arriving here in Texas by Friday! I do have to return my damaged core within 30 days or there’s a 3k charge. Pretty excited about getting truck up and running by next week! I am 12k in so far, picking up serpentine belt, engine oil and coolant today from dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To get her perfectly level in my drive way... If you look above the driver's door I have an orange "inclin-ometer" if that is a word... showing an almost perfect 0* reading. I wanted to get he level as could be as to drain every bit of that dirty oil out of the sump that I could. It was only 1500 miles since the new engine swap and that is probably the most important oil change a new engine could have. I was expecting it to still have some amber color to it... but it was just as dirty as a 6-7K mile plus oil change in appearance. Probably due to all of the parts synch-ing... the rings to the piston's walls/port, the valves, the crankshaft and cams, etc... I should have changed it at 1,000 miles but got a stomach flu...
Clinometer.
Used on ships and for drilling rigs etc.....

·
Registered
258 Posts
Glad to report I finally got my baby back today after 2 months!! Couldn’t be any happier!!
Mine was in the shop for 29 days... 26 arguing with the warranty company 1.5 days for the new install and 1.5 days for QA/QC and etc...

Don't go over 3,500RPM's until you break her in and change that oil with Castrol Professional 0w20 and OEM filter at that 1,000 mile mark! My oil change was some of the absolute dirtiest oil I've ever seen/changed after break-in...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Mine was in the shop for 29 days... 26 arguing with the warranty company 1.5 days for the new install and 1.5 days for QA/QC and etc...

Don't go over 3,500RPM's until you break her in and change that oil with Castrol Professional 0w20 and OEM filter at that 1,000 mile mark! My oil change was some of the absolute dirtiest oil I've ever seen/changed after break-in...
Yes! That’s exactly what I was told! I am going to baby it even more from here on out!

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,422 Posts
WOW!!! 40k???? I found a place in California ( TAPA Jaguar and Land Rover ) where I bought the new engine with the reinforced time chains ( comes with warranty of course) . He also added all additional components ( water pump, gaskets, hoses and all ) for additional cost of course. It shipped to me yesterday and should be arriving here in Texas by Friday! I do have to return my damaged core within 30 days or there’s a 3k charge. Pretty excited about getting truck up and running by next week! I am 12k in so far, picking up serpentine belt, engine oil and coolant today from dealer.
Was this $12K engine brand new or rebuilt. I find it hard to believe a new motor from Land Rover including auxiliary parts is $12K.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts