RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was coming home Friday evening and noticed an engine knock around 2500 RPM. By the time Ingot home and tried to back up truck into my driveway it started idle rough. Next morning called my mechanic and asked me to bring it in. As I was driving in the knocking got louder and it started shaking and died on me. Before this happened battery light came on. I called a tow truck and took it in to the shop, at this point it didn’t start again and said battery was running low... so I get a call from my mechanic yesterday and he’s telling me he took belt out the crank wouldn’t move ... he said pretty much the engine is locked and needs to be replaced now ... has anyone has this happened before? Truck only has 42k miles on it. Please any feed back will help! Thanks !!

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
354 Posts
Yikes, sorry to hear about your troubles.

The SC engine is pretty reliable, the knocking and then getting progressively worse could have been the timing chain failing?

I don't know much about engines, but unless the engine had no oil in it, it wouldn't be locked solid even if the timing chain failed?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a few threads in other forums where they mention the time chain failure which is a known issue to Range Rover. There’s actually a current law suit in regards to that because they have known about faulty tensioner. The engine did have oil and and no engine light while this issue came up. So I am now out of warranty and seems like I will have to source an engine now!!??

·
Registered
354 Posts
the timing chain stretching + failure was mostly on the previous gen RRS (L320), I haven't seen any reports on the L494.

It would be worth to find out the exact cause of this failure.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
129 Posts
the timing chain stretching + failure was mostly on the previous gen RRS (L320), I haven't seen any reports on the L494.

It would be worth to find out the exact cause of this failure.
I haven’t heard of it on the L494 either. But it was an issue on the first RRS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
224 Posts
OP are you the original owner ? Regular oil & filter changes at every 10K/ 1 year intervals?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Saying the SC engine is reliable is one the funniest things I've heard. FAR from reliable. There is no revision in the chains or guides, there was some nonsense about some guides having a metal pin?? but its all the same **** as the earlier models. SAME ENGINE SAME TIMING CHAIN ISSUES. Reason you are not seeing any late models report this is because

a. not many are up there yet in miles
b. if they were usually warrantied and the people that own these (first owners) are not the type to be found hanging out on a forum.

I would guess either a timing chain or maybe a rod bearing? Are you the OO? Was the car ever low on oil? Did you follow the long oil changes?

Dealer states 17k for an oil change. Typically the people that drive these trucks once again first owners usually females will go 20k-25k between an oil change. Many are leasing and a oil change at LR is $400 so they couldn't give a **** less about doing any service or being late on service.

You will see these issues and stories of locked motors on various different forums that uses this engine even the 3.0 suffers as its the same engine. Facebook groups full of people with locked motors. Many trucks for sale with locked motors.

I personally think all these engines will all require new timing chains/guides UNLESS it was maintained from DAY 1.

Usually there is noise and CEL/LIMP MODE before a catastrophic failure occurs such as the timing chain or bearing failure. It seems the OP drove the car with it knocking with caused his engine to ultimately meet its fate. Had he towed it when he heard the noise he could have potentially salvaged it.

Wish you best of luck OP please keep us updated and let us know the answer to some of the questions so we can help you out

@Ham Hands had a knock while revving and needed a new engine.

·
Registered
337 Posts
JLR are well aware of this issue. That is why they are using 0w-20 oil now instead of 5w-20, the old trucks even say 5w-20 on the caps. A lower viscosity oil will flow faster than a heavier oil, especially when cold and it will quickly pressurize the hydraulic tensioner which will keep the chain tight and reduces wear and tear.

Many makes have these timing chain problems. Honda is a big one. Problem is a new engine from JLR is $40k while Honda most likely costs 1/10th of that.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sorry for the long posts but if you go to Cars.com and look at higher mileage (140k+) trucks (L494/L405) you will see QUITE A FEW have had timing chains/tensioners/guides replaced on their CARFAX history. My dealer has also told me they do quite a few every week (L494/L405).

It is very sad to see the OP only had 42k miles on his engine. His issue might not be the chain but a rod bearing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JLR are well aware of this issue. That is why they are using 0w-20 oil now instead of 5w-20, the old trucks even say 5w-20 on the caps. A lower viscosity oil will flow faster than a heavier oil, especially when cold and it will quickly pressurize the hydraulic tensioner which will keep the chain tight and reduces wear and tear.

Many makes have these timing chain problems. Honda is a big one. Problem is a new engine from JLR is $40k while Honda most likely costs 1/10th of that.
:eek:

@f10m5 thanks for the detailed info, I didn't know any of that.
Hey guys update.... so engine is definitely shot!! The cause was time belt failure which damaged crankshaft and camshafts ... cost of replacing new engine is going to run me around 15k ... interesting enough is that instante is a law suit against Land Rover as they know it’s a known issue ...https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/jaguar-land-rover-timing-chain-lawsuit-engines-fail.shtml
I am totally upset with the fact I was barely in the process of buying extended warranty this vehicle ....

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sorry to hear that brother. Wish you best of luck on your new engine.

Best bet is to stop driving it when you start hearing the knocking/slapping noise of the chain. You can still save the engine but when it jumps it is far too late.

The lawsuit is out there but its been out there for years. I have been hearing this issue since 2011. Very unfortunate that they can get away with selling such expensive vehicles with such a costly failure without any consequences.

I think most of the owners with these vehicles just have too much money and they chalk it up and keep it moving. Don't bother to pursue or go any further. Usually the 2nd/3rd owners don't have much of a chance of getting anything as they will be told it was poor servicing, or PO antics which caused the failure.

Keep us updated, where are you going to get another engine?

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
224 Posts
Timing chain guides/tensioners are going to be preventative maintenance on the 5.0 SC for sure. Thanks to the long oil change interval unfortunately. Couple YouTube videos out there also showing fasteners for the guides falling out & causing engine failure as well.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
97 Posts
Jon, mind me asking when this had its last oil change? And the intervals.There are many people watching this thread and learning form your experience.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Timing chain guides/tensioners are going to be preventative maintenance on the 5.0 SC for sure. Thanks to the long oil change interval unfortunately. Couple YouTube videos out there also showing fasteners for the guides falling out & causing engine failure as well.
What do you mean by 'long'?

Here in South Africa, all JLR vehicles come with a 5-year Service Plan, which means oil changes are done annually or every 26,000km. I barely do half of that, so the oil changes are yearly for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I bought new engine TAPA Jaguar and Land Rover which is an independent shop in Sun Valley, CA.
It comes with new time chain tensioners, undated 8MM chains and rails, 3 layer head gaskets, oil cooler gasket, oil filter housing gasket, oil filter & spark plugs , new crankshaft, main bearings, connecting rod bearings, piston heads, piston rings and connecting rods. So basically all new engine, they request engine break in at 1k miles and engine oils every 5-6k miles there after.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jon, mind me asking when this had its last oil change? And the intervals.There are many people watching this thread and learning form your experience.
Last oil change was around 38k miles and intervals around 7-8k miles which is around every year for me as this is not a daily driver.

·
Registered
2019 Velar L560
38 Posts
Dang. I was hoping that a 7,500 mile OCI would be enough, but I may need to consider dropping it to 5,000.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts