Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have some clunking noise going on my 2014 SC with 135k miles. I recently had both two new front lower control arms installed and the clunking from bad bushings went away. However, now I have a new intermittent noise which is a grinding noise (like something spinning/turning) when I turn right at slow speeds. It never does it at all on left turns. I took it to the dealer and they thought it might be the transfer case, so they just changed the oil in the transfer case. That did not fix the problem and I'm left scratching my head. Suspension seems to work fine because i thought maybe the front tires were rubbing the fender well. I raised it to off-road mode and it grinds again.

Anybody had this issue before? Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts

Curious to know if your issue sounds like this : popping sound at around 6 second mark
Took it to multiple Land Rover Dealers and indi shops. No one can figure out the cause so I've been living with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have that snatching sound from the first video, hoping that my transfer box fluid change has fixed that. I’ll have to examine later.

I have not experienced the popping sound from your video. I bet that is annoying

·
Registered
805 Posts
I do have that snatching sound from the first video, hoping that my transfer box fluid change has fixed that. I’ll have to examine later.

I have not experienced the popping sound from your video. I bet that is annoying
I feel I am deveolping the snatching. just hit 54k miles on my 14'. It happens coming from a stop and turning the wheel almost to lock......like when pulling out of an intersection. I feel it gets a little more pronouned if I do this at an incline. Think this is the transfer box fluid?

If the transfer fluid change is an easy DIY maybe I'll just tackle that myself....anyone done it before? Need to change a filter too?

I had the rear seal and pinion job done about a year or 2 ago.....but that's the rear diff so I wouldn't think it woudl be related.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I’m at 98k miles and I have the clunking noise too over any imperfection. I had my lower control arms replaced recently along with the stabilizer bushings (2x in 12 months) and the clunking went away but 4 months later it’s back and more pronounced. I will be taking it to the dealer soon and see what they do next.

I don’t have any snatching or grabbing when turning but when making a right turn at I hear a noise that is hard to describe. Almost like light metal scratching noise. I’ve had the fluids changed and still there. Will try the dealer to look at it closer next time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
had a nasty crunch in the front end, specifically when turning at low speeds into any type of small dip like a driveway entrance - my mechanic greased the sway bar mount bushings and it has been fine since

·
Registered
805 Posts
Just to update my noise issue, turns out the end links were now shot. New endlinks being done at the dealer.
Do you happen to have the part #s for the front end links? I'm planning on replacing mine. I think I see the correct parts on FCP....unfortunately they are on backorder.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Do you happen to have the part #s for the front end links? I'm planning on replacing mine. I think I see the correct parts on FCP....unfortunately they are on backorder.
So I thought the issue was fixed but noticed on certain dips/bumps the knocking/clunking noise was still present. At this point I had replaced the control arm bushings, lower control arms, end links, sway bar bushings. Trucks back at the dealer getting two new shocks in the front. Hoping this finally solves the clunking issue once and for all.

The part on FCP is correct I can double check the part # as soon as I get my truck back. I have noticed prices have really gone up on FCP for certain items. Each LCA went up by $100 compared to last year around this time.

·
Registered
805 Posts
So I thought the issue was fixed but noticed on certain dips/bumps the knocking/clunking noise was still present. At this point I had replaced the control arm bushings, lower control arms, end links, sway bar bushings. Trucks back at the dealer getting two new shocks in the front. Hoping this finally solves the clunking issue once and for all.

The part on FCP is correct I can double check the part # as soon as I get my truck back. I have noticed prices have really gone up on FCP for certain items. Each LCA went up by $100 compared to last year around this time.

i have the end links on order....maybe it's pointless to replace them....but it was only 85$ shipped.

Unless a bag blows or has a severe leak I'm not going to spend the money on new shocks. If the end links doesn't correct I'll keep it as is until a bag blows

·
Registered
481 Posts
Finally got my truck back yesterday. So there was a mix up and they replaced the front two struts and sway bar bushings NOT the endlinks. My trucks gone through a bunch of front sway bar bushings for some reason.

I’m really happy to say the new front struts fixed a steering to the left problem I was chasing for months. My truck would drift left at highway speeds. Had control arms changed, multiple alignment, tires. Finally fixed.

Now for the noise only thing left is end links. Instead of going back to the dealer I just ordered OEM endlinks for cheap online. I was going to go with FCPEuro but they are OOS with no ETA.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Finally got my truck back yesterday. So there was a mix up and they replaced the front two struts and sway bar bushings NOT the endlinks. My trucks gone through a bunch of front sway bar bushings for some reason.

I’m really happy to say the new front struts fixed a steering to the left problem I was chasing for months. My truck would drift left at highway speeds. Had control arms changed, multiple alignment, tires. Finally fixed.

Now for the noise only thing left is end links. Instead of going back to the dealer I just ordered OEM endlinks for cheap online. I was going to go with FCPEuro but they are OOS with no ETA.
so we may be on to something....

so after all those repairs you still have the cluck right? I replaced all 4 lower control arms and the sway bar bushings and still have the clunk... I have new Delphi end links that I plan on putting on this weekend. Did you end up getting end links? What brand? I got them for around $85

·
Registered
42 Posts

so after all those repairs you still have the cluck right? I replaced all 4 lower control arms and the sway bar bushings and still have the clunk... I have new Delphi end links that I plan on putting on this weekend. Did you end up getting end links? What brand? I got them for around $85
Replaced both end links, lower control arms, wheel hub bearing, front cv axles, and sway bar bushings all done by Land Rover under warranty...still got the clunk on my Range. Techs at the dealership cant seem to find a fix.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I currently have some clunking noise going on my 2014 SC with 135k miles. I recently had both two new front lower control arms installed and the clunking from bad bushings went away. However, now I have a new intermittent noise which is a grinding noise (like something spinning/turning) when I turn right at slow speeds. It never does it at all on left turns. I took it to the dealer and they thought it might be the transfer case, so they just changed the oil in the transfer case. That did not fix the problem and I'm left scratching my head. Suspension seems to work fine because i thought maybe the front tires were rubbing the fender well. I raised it to off-road mode and it grinds again.

So the dealer changed the Transfer Case's fluid "Once"... and returned it back to you without driving and performing the figure 8 sequence of turns... then performing a 2nd flush and fill... and also without the Software Reprogramming. All of the aforementioned procedures have to be performed and there is a detailed Protocol in the Land Rover/Range Rover Workshop Manual that every "Dealer" has unlimited access to... The aforementioned and complete 3 step sequence is required to fix the TC/Gearbox chatter and harsh clutch engagement lock-up problem(s)...

If properly performed over 90% of the same problems you describe are corrected. The Transfer Case just needs to be recalibrated sometimes as the clutch-pack wears-in from just from normal and everyday use... This is what the Shop-Foreman of my old JLR Dealership told me in person. The fact your "Dealer" only changed the fluid and didn't perform the other 2 steps says a whole lot about that service department. Their is a TDP online about this. You should print it out and take it to their Shop Foreman/Management and make them perform the correct procedure at a heavily discounted fee for your troubles and having to "educate them" on the subject...

·
Registered
481 Posts

Yes still have the clunk. Forgot to mention I also had the CV axle done a year and half ago on that side.

I am 99.9% sure my case is end links. I got OEM ones for $65 a side. Idk how I felt using Delphi I had some strange issues with Delphi suspension parts on a few past BMWs. I’m sure they’ll be fine and Delphi is a good brand but I just wanted to use OEM so later on I’m not worried about “maybe it’s the aftermarket endlinks” if noise still exists. 😂

·
Registered
15 Posts

Yes, my issue was resolved by the stearlership. Apparently, there's a TSB on the active sway bar systems that attributes to the clunking noise and winding sound during steering. Talked to Land Rover customer service and they covered the repair...over $7k.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Can you post the paperwork and the invoice on what was done. I have heard many people say this. I’m curious to see what was changed to see if it’s something I need to do in the future or if it’s been done already.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts