RangeRovers.net Forum banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got the standard Meridian system.

If I upgrade just the speakers, will this improve the sounds a lot? or just a little bit?

And besides the LR speakers, what other brand could I use that would fit in there without modifications?

thanks
Try Audison, they seem to be an alternative

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I've got the standard Meridian system.

If I upgrade just the speakers, will this improve the sounds a lot? or just a little bit?

And besides the LR speakers, what other brand could I use that would fit in there without modifications?

thanks
Will improve just a little bit. I do not know about alternative brands.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
195 Posts
Will improve just a little bit. I do not know about alternative brands.
thanks, considering the cheapest I've found the upgrade is £250 + 60 shipping, I think I'll rather put the money towards upgrading to an Android head unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Hiyabrad,
A question that many have.
Was there a signal in the rear luggage at your base sound system? I mean that everything is base (also amplifier).
In this way I could take a sound signal in the rear luggage?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Hey Hiyabrad,
A question that many have.
Was there a signal in the rear luggage at your base sound system? I mean that everything is base (also amplifier).
In this way I could take a sound signal in the rear luggage?
Thanks in advance!
I did not verify if there was a signal before performing the upgrade. But I would think not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
UPDATE:

Bought the Gap Diagnostic IIDTool BT and with the help of Patrick at Gap (who was awesome!) the IIDTool BT was able to unlock the Meridian sound options!!! SUCCESS……

The center dash tweeter and mid-range now work in the surround sound modes but not in stereo mode.

I installed the rear luggage shelf speakers which ARE pre-wired by the way!! - meaning there is one connector on each shelf. Note each side of the rear luggage shelf has both a tweeter and mid-range speaker and per the wiring diagram they are spliced together (amp does not have separate channels for the tweeter and mid-range) so I plugged the tweeter into the existing pre-wired connector and soldered the mid-range to the tweeter wires. The rear luggage shelf speakers work in all modes (stereo and surround).

My bluetooth mobile phone call sound is still bad and I still do not have the confirmation clicks from the display panel. But the bluetooth mobile phone music sound is awesome.

I was still not getting any sound out of the front door mid-ranges so I traced the wires in the door panels - from the door panel harness connector to the pre-wired mid-range speaker connector and it checked out fine. So the signal was not getting from the amp to the door and that's when I found out the issue.

I disconnected the large wire harness connector that connects the door to the body of the car. The door side connector is the female side and the body has the male side. Pin numbers 1 and 13 on the female side are not there, however, pin numbers 1 and 13 ARE on the male side.

Go figure - even though the door panel wire harness is prewired for the mid-range "upgraded sound system" speaker in the front doors, the door wire harness that connects the door to the body does not have the mid-range speaker wires in it. WHAT? WHO MADE THAT DECISION TO SAVE A FEW PENNIES?

I can see only three ways to solve this:

1. Order a new door wire harness with the upgraded sound option (my dealer is checking on pricing).

2. Order just the pre-wired pins to install into the female side of the door to body connector and run the wires. That is IF the door to body connector is a serviceable connector.

3. Tap into the mid-range wires on the male side (body side) of the connector (which are visible from inside the car) and bring those wires to the door side (requires drilling one hole in body next to male side of door to body connector and then poking thru the door side rubber (for the body to door wire harness). Maybe and it's a big maybe the wires might be able to be sandwiched between the male body connector and the opening for the male body connector so no drilling but not sure if possible.

More to come......
Hello

thanks again for all your info.

I have had the rear side panel out and cannot see a connector where the “blank” for the speaker slot is. Could you let me know where the connector was?

thank you

paul

·
Registered
25 Posts
Recently upgraded my 2016 RRS audio system. The factory system (not the meridian) is terrible.

New front speakers, audio amp with programmable EQ, and a 10” JL sealed low-profile sub. La Jolla Audio in San Diego did the install. Turned out great. Attached are some photos.

• Focal Flax PS165 speakers
  • Audiocontrol D-6.1200 amp - drives all the
speakers and sub
- JL audio W4 10” sub in one of JLs prefabbed sealed boxes

The JL box and amp fit behind the rear interior panels for a clean install.

You connect the amp to a laptop and play a pink noise source and tune the system response to your vehicle using the software. There’s a remote know we installed in the forward storage area that lets you tweak the bass volume. Pretty cool system. They did a great job.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great install. Looking to do the same in the same location. Where did they tale the main power from, so you know?

save me having to pull a cable all the way to the battery.

cheers

paul

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did not verify if there was a signal before performing the upgrade. But I would think not.
Does anyone know if there’s a signal on the speaker connectors on rear luggage shelf? Trying to fit a self powered slimline subwoofer in boot and it takes hi inputs so would be ideal.

aslo does anyone know if it’s okay using the small battery in the boot for power rather than running power to front battery?

thank you 👍

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anybody know what the small battery in the boot side panel is for and whether it’s okay to power a small self amplified sub from there (slimline version).

also looking for easiest way to connect speakers via hi line - there are speaker connectors there for the rear shelf speakers but no speakers as it is base system, so presume no signal from amp going to them

thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello

I have had the rear side panel out and cannot see a connector where the “blank” for the speaker slot is. Could you let me know where the connector was?

thank you

paul View attachment 282093
The rear speaker Is probabl
Hello

thank you

paul View attachment 282093
the rear speakers (mids) are black plugs and are attached to the shelf with a plastic push pin the passenger wires are Browne white stripe and brown with blue stripe driver side brown with yellow stripe / white with green stripe. It might be the black push pin here you could push it Thur and check to see the wires. As for the aux battery in the rear panel. Not sure if that battery would hold up. Your main battery should be under the spare tire that’s wear mine is

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anybody know what the small battery in the boot side panel is for and whether it’s okay to power a small self amplified sub from there (slimline version).

also looking for easiest way to connect speakers via hi line - there are speaker connectors there for the rear shelf speakers but no speakers as it is base system, so presume no signal from amp going to them

thanks
This is also my question, before I have to sort everything out. Maybe it's better to start a new topic? Then we can post our findings afterwards.

Thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
I personally would not hook anything to the aux battery (the small one in the side compartment) it does not have the cranking amps, or capacity of the vehicles main battery its a aux battery I believe thats for the auto start and stop but it will also be to retain memory of certain things when the main battery is disconnected. your main battery should be under the spare tire thats where they are on the US model anyways If your going to hook an aftermarket amp I thinks it is best to run power to the main battery not a secondary source.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The rear speaker Is probabl

the rear speakers (mids) are black plugs and are attached to the shelf with a plastic push pin the passenger wires are Browne white stripe and brown with blue stripe driver side brown with yellow stripe / white with green stripe. It might be the black push pin here you could push it Thur and check to see the wires. As for the aux battery in the rear panel. Not sure if that battery would hold up. Your main battery should be under the spare tire that’s wear mine is View attachment 282095
when mentioned above passenger side (right side) and driver side (left side)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hiyabrad

Please could you talk a little about what was needed to make the system work once installed - did you need to get it programmed to unlock the meridian element (ie the extra channels) or did it work without that?

I presume sound worked on all channels but you didn’t have the meridian options on the on screen menu? Or was there no sound from the extra channels until it had been programmed?

thank you!
Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
That’s is correct if you install the speakers amp and wire the front doors everything like hiyabrad listed it all plays and sounds awesome. And could be left at that however There are some options you get when you unlock the ccf file for the meridian in the radio which will increase the sound even more . The surround sound and also meridian eq I haven’t done that yet but will here soon I used the meridian correct speakers to the 1200 watt amp as to they are 2ohms vs the premium 2500 watt setup is 4 ohm some and a 2 ohm speaker will draw more watts from the amp them the 4 ohm. The tweeters in the base system and the meridian 1200 watt system are the same just FYI

·
Registered
25 Posts
That’s is correct if you install the speakers amp and wire the front doors everything like hiyabrad listed it all plays and sounds awesome. And could be left at that however There are some options you get when you unlock the ccf file for the meridian in the radio which will increase the sound even more . The surround sound and also meridian eq I haven’t done that yet but will here soon I used the meridian correct speakers to the 1200 watt amp as to they are 2ohms vs the premium 2500 watt setup is 4 ohm some and a 2 ohm speaker will draw more watts from the amp them the 4 ohm. The tweeters in the base system and the meridian 1200 watt system are the same just FYI
Thanks

I have the 2500w system mids (7), tweeters (7) and bass speakers (4) plus a 1280w system subwoofer, so have 19 speakers. I’m now trying to decide between 2500w amp or 1280w amp.

I’m guessing the 2500w amp will be best to drive the 4 ohm speakers properly? Worried it looks larger and won’t fit in the space - any advice anyone?

thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think you could be right. What’s the opinion on using the 1280w amp with the higher end 2500w speakers?

will it work?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anyone know if the 2500w amp connectors are the same as the 1280w amp. If not is there any way to make the 2500w amp fit?

81 - 100 of 124 Posts