Range Rovers Forum banner
221 - 239 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Been reading the thread with alot of interest. Never really bother about my car audio previously. So I found out that mine is a 8 speaker system. There are no mid speaker beneath the door grill. So for a 12 speaker upgrade will means I need the following.
1. upgrade amp
2. 4x new mid ( i suppose I can get the premium speaker as shown in powerfuluk)
3. A sub for below the driver seat.
Do I need the dash speaker?
some seems to have the blue connector for the new amp hidden and some dont have.Mine is a 2016
Also are the wire for the mid pre wired and need to have a new wire to run?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[/QUOTE]
So at the amp I simply wired these in parallel per channel as below:

Left POS > connect pin 1 Gn/Bu on the blue connector to pin 3 Vt/Og on the gre connector
Left NEG > connect pin 9 Gy/Bu on the blue connector to pin 11 Ye/Og on the grey connector
Right POS > connect pin 2 Vt/Gy on the blue connector to pin 1 Vn/Og on the grey connector
Right NEG > connect pin 10 Ye/Gy on the blue connector to pin 9 Gy/Og on the grey connector

DOOR WIRING

So it’s the same procedure for both front doors. Remove the door card, screw mid speaker in place. Solder wires to the tweeter wires (red +, blue -) and then attach those wires to the mid ensuring the correct polarity. The mids actually have the polarity marked on the connector sockets. I had two spare plugs from a donor harness so wires these in parallel to the tweeter wires meaning that if the door card needed removing in the future then the mid could simply be unplugged.

[/QUOTE]

Abeachsoul, do you have any pictures of how you bridged at the amp?

·
Registered
Range Rover Sport L494
2 Posts
Hi All,

I have the same problem. I just bought on eBay a 1280W Premium 16 Amplifier with Eng'g Part no. GK52-19C164-BA or LR Part no. LR093599 to replace my "Low Line" Mid8 amplifier on my L494 RRS MY16. I also replaced the base 4 x door speakers (DPL-18808-BA) with new Super Premium 4-ohm speakers (DPLA-18808-DB, for Meridian Signature system) and ordered the 4-ohm sub-woofer CPLA-18808-CA which I'm expecting to receive this week. When I pulled out the "Low Line" amp yesterday, I noticed that there's no blue connector or blue pigtail. I've browsed the internet all day yesterday and today and couldn't find the exact diagram for the 1280W Prem 16 amplifier that I bought nor the correct wiring harness for this amplifier. This now prompted me to ask the following questions to get some help/directions:
  1. If I buy the same blue connector online (shown in your previous response above on Jun 27, 2020), will that be enough?
  2. How do I correlate the above schematic diagram and identify which wires on the Blue connector (assuming they will all have the same yellow colour) need to be connected to the subwoofer, centre speaker and mid-range speakers that I'm adding to the car?
  3. When I plugged in the replacement amplifier, the door speakers sounded really crappy (more bass) and the tweeter output seemed to have reduced a lot. Also, the rear door speakers sounded weaker than the front door speakers. Does this mean the base wire harness for the Low Line amp is not compatible with the 1280W Prem16 amp? Do I need to replace the base wire harness with a new/complete upgraded wire harness? Hope I don't go down this path because I don't know the correct LR part no. that's compatible with the 1280W Prem16 amplifier.
  4. And one more, with the Prem16 amp plugged in, how do I make the Audio control option on the infotainment panel updated to show that there's a Subwoofer setting? Do I need to bring the car to an LR shop to update the infotainment software/settings?
Looking forward, thank you.

·
Registered
Range Rover Sport L494
2 Posts
Hi All,

I have the same problem. I just bought on eBay a 1280W Premium 16 Amplifier with Eng'g Part no. GK52-19C164-BA or LR Part no. LR093599 to replace my "Low Line" Mid8 amplifier on my L494 RRS MY16. I also replaced the base 4 x door speakers (DPL-18808-BA) with new Super Premium 4-ohm speakers (DPLA-18808-DB, for Meridian Signature system) and ordered the 4-ohm sub-woofer CPLA-18808-CA which I'm expecting to receive this week. When I pulled out the "Low Line" amp yesterday, I noticed that there's no blue connector or blue pigtail. I've browsed the internet all day yesterday and today and couldn't find the exact diagram for the 1280W Prem 16 amplifier that I bought nor the correct wiring harness for this amplifier. This now prompted me to ask the following questions to get some help/directions:
  1. If I buy the same blue connector online (shown in your previous response above on Jun 27, 2020), will that be enough?
  2. How do I correlate the above schematic diagram and identify which wires on the Blue connector (assuming they will all have the same yellow colour) need to be connected to the subwoofer, centre speaker and mid-range speakers that I'm adding to the car?
  3. When I plugged in the replacement amplifier, the door speakers sounded really crappy (more bass) and the tweeter output seemed to have reduced a lot. Also, the rear door speakers sounded weaker than the front door speakers. Does this mean the base wire harness for the Low Line amp is not compatible with the 1280W Prem16 amp? Do I need to replace the base wire harness with a new/complete upgraded wire harness? Hope I don't go down this path because I don't know the correct LR part no. that's compatible with the 1280W Prem16 amplifier.
  4. And one more, with the Prem16 amp plugged in, how do I make the Audio control option on the infotainment panel updated to show that there's a Subwoofer setting? Do I need to bring the car to an LR shop to update the infotainment software/settings?
Looking forward, thank you.
Attached are the photos of the amplifiers that I have, the base amp (Low Line 400W) and the 1280W Premium 16 amplifier (the replacement amp that I need to install).

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Range Rover Sport td6
2 Posts
First of all, excellent thread -- Is there another one for the 2018 models on?

I just purchased a 2018 RRS td6 SE and would really like to improve the sound. It certainly has mids (and a center speaker?), so presume they made the base Meridian a 12 speaker system, but coming from higher-end audio, I really miss the surround sound. After watching all the videos and reading this entire thread, I think I can get away with getting the higher-end speakers and amp ("Super-premium"?), but will still need reprogramming (is it available for these models?). Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow...what an amazing thread about upgrading the stereo system in the RRS. I've been following this for months after buying a 2017 RRS S/C and finding out the stereo system was the base 8 speaker system. My fiancé was less than thrilled to have such a poor stereo in her daily.

I've located the the following part numbers for the 1280W Meridian Amp that I am planning to upgrade to.

LR081470
LR090584
LR090587
LR090590
LR090592

These are the Land Rover part numbers and they are compatible with a few different vehicles but basically the LR081470 is the newest succession of the other LR part #'s. The other vehicles are the 2018-2019 RR Evoque, 2018 RR Velar, 2017 RR Discovery.

One thing I've noticed on the 2017 RRS is that the amp says "AUD4-16" versus the other amps that a few people have used are AUD3-16.

The manufacturer part # for the amps that I've been able to cross reference are as follows.

HX73-19C164-CD
HPLA-19C164-CDC

I don't know if there are any others but those are the two that I know cross reference with the LR part numbers above.

One thing I'm not 100% confident on is the location of the amp. I know it's underneath the seat but I've seen people talk about it being under the passenger seat, yet they are from a RHD area and I'm from the states so I wasn't sure if it's under the LEFT seat or the RIGHT seat. Could someone who has done this upgrade who is from a LEFT HAND DRIVE location confirm which seat the amp is located under?

Thank you all for the loads of information in this thread. It's been insanely helpful!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow...what an amazing thread about upgrading the stereo system in the RRS. I've been following this for months after buying a 2017 RRS S/C and finding out the stereo system was the base 8 speaker system. My fiancé was less than thrilled to have such a poor stereo in her daily.

I've located the the following part numbers for the 1280W Meridian Amp that I am planning to upgrade to.

LR081470
LR090584
LR090587
LR090590
LR090592

These are the Land Rover part numbers and they are compatible with a few different vehicles but basically the LR081470 is the newest succession of the other LR part #'s. The other vehicles are the 2018-2019 RR Evoque, 2018 RR Velar, 2017 RR Discovery.

One thing I've noticed on the 2017 RRS is that the amp says "AUD4-16" versus the other amps that a few people have used are AUD3-16.

The manufacturer part # for the amps that I've been able to cross reference are as follows.

HX73-19C164-CD
HPLA-19C164-CDC

I don't know if there are any others but those are the two that I know cross reference with the LR part numbers above.

One thing I'm not 100% confident on is the location of the amp. I know it's underneath the seat but I've seen people talk about it being under the passenger seat, yet they are from a RHD area and I'm from the states so I wasn't sure if it's under the LEFT seat or the RIGHT seat. Could someone who has done this upgrade who is from a LEFT HAND DRIVE location confirm which seat the amp is located under?

Thank you all for the loads of information in this thread. It's been insanely helpful!
2021 RRS here and the Meridian is just trash. Literally the worst system I have ever owned in any car, including a Prius.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear all: bumping this thread to first say thank you to @Hiyabrad for his detailed posts, explanations and step by step guides. Second to try to help out those who like me are jumping into this dance late in the game with a bit of my experience in a similar upgrade as the original post.

TL/DR: I am upgrading my 2015 RRS L494 from the base base system (380W, 8 speakers) to the Mid12 version using the bits and pieces from this thread and charting my own way. Learned some lessons on the way as well as some technical details that might help some other fellow RRS owner in the same route.

So I have the base 380W, 8 Speaker setup. It sounds horrible, very bad bass distortion coming from the FR and RL. I first purchased new speakers thinking replacing the speakers would do the trick. After looking at this threads and the basic information on the net, I opened up the doors and took out the speakers hoping for a way to fit the JBL 6.5" speakers I had purchased from Crutchfield (a pair of JBL 601CF). But just as Crutchfield had predicted/warned me, the speakers would not fit the RRS doors without some sort of "accommodation" (read: a way to adapt to the holes of the OEM speakers). After realizing that indeed this was not going to be a plug and play solution, I decided to return the JBLs and dig deeper into the OEM upgrade as described in detail by @Hiyabrad on this thread (thank you again!).

My project's main difference is that I am not interested in going "Full Meridian" on this upgrade. I really just want decent sound commensurate to the RRS. So based on the information here and the specs as posted by PowerFulUK I settled on the Mid12 setup. (12 speakers, 4 Bass, 4 tweeters, 4 Mids + Sub).

Purchased a Mid12 Amp off of Ebay (BJ32-19C164-AG) $129
Purchased a Sub on Ebay as well (CPLA-111A30-EA) $ 299
Purchased 4 Mid range speakers LR025876 $58.73 ea
Purchased 4 Bass (woofer) speakers LR078623 $ 132.55 ea

Because I have the base base system, I assumed I would not have the wiring in place in order to drop the sub and new amp and plug and play. I certainly was expecting to follow @Hiyabrad 's process to pin the door harness connector and wire from there. So next purchases:

Wiring repair kit - 16AWG LR part num: 418430 (red terminated female wires): $ 22.55

Motorcraft WPT-959 (Engineering number: 3U2Z-14S411-BDAB) AKA "the blue connector" $40
This is the connector for the Amp that has the additional speakers other than the base 8 speakers (i.e.: door mids, cargo mids, dash mid + tweeter, sub, etc). RRS connector ref: C3ME22E

View attachment 291650

The sub came with the pigtail harness, so I was able to work off of that, but for those looking for the harness connector, it is a Motorcraft WPT-688 (Engineering number: 3U2Z-14S411-ZEA)
The sub has the male pins, the vehicle harness has the female side (WPT-688), RRS connector ref: C3ME76

View attachment 291651

Unfortunately, the "Blue Connector" (WPT-959) had pre-wired terminals that were too thin (prob 18 AWG or 20 AWG) so I embarked on removing those pins and replacing them with my own terminated 16AWG pins. So after a long wide search, located the pins as being Molex 33012-2001.

After having secured those, I proceeded to wire my own "blue connector" from scratch:

View attachment 291656 View attachment 291652 View attachment 291653 View attachment 291655

At this point, I had wired all 4 wires for the sub. Also I had wired the Sub's pigtail so now had the beginning of my new DIY harness!
View attachment 291658

So far so good. Next step was to wire the mid speakers (doors) but then I reached a conundrum. How to get to the door connector? I took apart the door A-pillar connector as in the original thread, and to my surprise found that the male pins on the connectors were there! So does this means that my car came with the Blue connector after all?

I borrowed a friend's flexible camera to take a peek under the driver's seat to investigate the amp and sure enough, the blue connector is there! In all its glory.

So the good news is that I will not need to continue building my DIY harness after all, since my car came with the blue connector. The better news is that now I have the half harness built and no use for it.

So if anyone wants it as maybe a foundation for your upgrade project and your car didn't bring it, shoot me a pm and you can have it for my cost + shipping. ($40 + shipping). I will include the WPT-959 with the 4 terminated wires for the sub, about 4' of 16AWG to the sub plug, the sub's plug (WPT-688) and the remainder terminals so that you can finish the blue plug.

View attachment 291659

Next step is to get the speakers (this week it seems) then open everything up, replace the amp, put in the sub, replace the 4 speakers and install the mids.

For the mid's connector, I have not been able to identify what the vehicle harness has. So I purchased a door wire harness from ebay with the connectors and hopefully they will have some sort of reference or part number and I will be able to share it here as a follow-up. It is the same as the tweeter connector, one is black the other is gray. But that is all I know as of now.
I have just checked my Amp and I don't see a Blue connector connected to the Amp. Are you saying the Blue connector was tucked away somewhere? If so, where? Please confirm. Many thanks.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
305 Posts
Had a local stereo shop give me much better sound. Audison digital amp and audison speakers. Sub in the left rear fender. Nice set up. Found another local shop who blew my socks off with a system he just installed in an RRS. Pricey, but wow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great data folks! I must say that I am still confused...I would like to improve the sound on my L494. What I do know that my vehicle has the "Meridian Premium Audio Pack" that includes surround sound w/825 watts & 19 speakers, including the subwoofer...So, is that 825 amp and related speakers just Premium or Super Premium? I see the chaps at PowerfulUK use the term "Super Premium" when referring to speaker upgrades...

I welcome all positive input...thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great data folks! I must say that I am still confused...I would like to improve the sound on my L494. What I do know that my vehicle has the "Meridian Premium Audio Pack" that includes surround sound w/825 watts & 19 speakers, including the subwoofer...So, is that 825 amp and related speakers just Premium or Super Premium? I see the chaps at PowerfulUK use the term "Super Premium" when referring to speaker upgrades...

I welcome all positive input...thanks in advance!
You have the premium meridian system. The super premium has upgraded door bass speakers and subwoofer and 27 speakers in total.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have the 825W premium sound system. I’ve seen the door speakers from the super premium system that has Kevlar on them for sale.

If i buy those 4 speakers will they be plug and play to replace my original 825W door card speakers? And do you think it’ll make a difference ?

·
Registered
2015 Range Rover Sport SCV8 HSE Dynamic
795 Posts
I have the 825W premium sound system. I’ve seen the door speakers from the super premium system that has Kevlar on them for sale.

If i buy those 4 speakers will they be plug and play to replace my original 825W door card speakers? And do you think it’ll make a difference ?
Yes, and the difference should be noticeable, although hard to tell if the costs justify it.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
So, does Super Premium equal Meridian Signature? For model year 2014, the L494 supercharged had (2) audio pack upgrade options; Meridian Premium (825 watts/19 speakers) and Meridian Signature (1700 watts/23 speakers).

Was the difference just that amp and number of speakers? Or was it inclusive of speaker types (kevlar vs non-kevlar)?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Wow prices have sure gone up. Back in summer of 2020 powerfulukltd had the 4 speakers for the doors from the 2500W system for $290 (for all 4). I had them in my cart and just didnt decide to order them. Last
I checked at the end of 2020 the price was just a bit more around $315. Now it’s $600+.

The best my dealer could do was $160 a speaker. Pretty much the same thing.

Ive been waiting for a dash speaker since last fall. My speaker is blown and LR has been out of stock for almost a year. Apparently the supplier has gone bankrupt and they’re waiting for a new supplier. I wonder if I can use the 2500W speakers for the dash too?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow prices have sure gone up. Back in summer of 2020 powerfulukltd had the 4 speakers for the doors from the 2500W system for $290 (for all 4). I had them in my cart and just didnt decide to order them. Last
I checked at the end of 2020 the price was just a bit more around $315. Now it’s $600+.

The best my dealer could do was $160 a speaker. Pretty much the same thing.

Ive been waiting for a dash speaker since last fall. My speaker is blown and LR has been out of stock for almost a year. Apparently the supplier has gone bankrupt and they’re waiting for a new supplier. I wonder if I can use the 2500W speakers for the dash too?
You would do better ordering from one of the online Land Rover OEM parts sellers...

221 - 239 of 239 Posts