RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently looking at a red RRS SC v8 with 74k miles and comes with 100k mile/2 yr power train warranty. Got him talked down to $30k. Decent deal? I noticed that the silver lettering was starting to look dark gray. Is that something the silver accents do? Also, on several RRs I looked at, there seems to be some wrinkling/bubbling on the roof near the doors. Looks like tape residue or something but I'm wondering if it's maybe the adhesive showing through from the underside of the roof piece?

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
165 Posts
Get the VIN and run a CarFax report to see the owner history, service history and any big accidents. Drive the vehicle. Check the braking and handling and listen for unusual noises such as ticking or rattling under the hood which could indicate problems. The V8's had issues with timing chain guides wearing out leading to worse problems if not fixed. If possible, have an independent mechanic look it over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get the VIN and run a CarFax report to see the owner history, service history and any big accidents. Drive the vehicle. Check the braking and handling and listen for unusual noises such as ticking or rattling under the hood which could indicate problems. The V8's had issues with timing chain guides wearing out leading to worse problems if not fixed. If possible, have an independent mechanic look it over.
Took it for a test drive. Car started and sounded fine...until I started driving it. Got warnings about e-diff not available, suspension adjustments not available, parking brake not working, and a whole host of other warning lights. Car wouldn't go above 30 MPH. Dealer sending it to service next week.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would wait and see what they find and if they fix it. Maybe you can get it for even a better price. If it just needs a compressor that is a easy job and part is under 250.00. Job cost 1500 from dealer. Everything else sounds pretty minor. I got my 16 with 75k Diesel model. It had a non working ac unit, bad air ride compressor, bad lower a arm. All work i do myself for cheap. I got mine for 32k. Hit them with a 25k price and see what they say after they fix. AC system is expensive since it takes 1234yf freon instead for R134. But I converted mine to R134 to save myself 1,000.00 Also ask them what their labor rate is. Over here they are 195.00hr. So that's another thing to think about. I dont regret getting this for my wife. She loves it. Was cheaper than buying her a new 4-runner. Plus it was diesel so that made it even better. Getting 25mpg.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,444 Posts
I would wait and see what they find and if they fix it. Maybe you can get it for even a better price. If it just needs a compressor that is a easy job and part is under 250.00. Job cost 1500 from dealer. Everything else sounds pretty minor.
Except for the fact that it won't go over 30mph.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
165 Posts
FWIW, one time my wife's 2018 V8 wouldn't go over 30 either. Turned out she accidentally hit the speed limiter on the steering wheel that was set to 30. Could it be that simple?

·
Registered
355 Posts
It could be as simple as a battery or the car been sitting for a while since it’s a lot.

These are not all “signs to move on”. I don’t get why some of y’all are picky beyond belief.

Same thing was said to a poster asking about a buying a buy back vehicle and people said stay away and run away not realizing the car had already been owned by the seller for over 4 years and 82k miles. Same thing with a accident or even a rebuilt title. None of these indicate to run or move away it simply means do more research and see what’s up.

I can’t imagine living life so uptight and scared.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you heard anything about it?
Dealer sent it to LR dealer and found it to be a faulty ground wire and fixed it. We are going to test drive it again today to see if any more gremlins pop up and if they will knock any more off the price. Fingers crossed!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts