RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
263 Posts
Hi everyone, just did a deal Wednesday on a black on black RR Autobiography. Salesman told me it had WIFI, so all was good. I'm a geek and I don't care if it parks itself, but I do care about WIFI and remote via phone. Pulled the VIN build sheet and low and behold - LESS WIFI, LESS InControl.
Spoke to the dealer today and they said it wasn't availabe on this mid 2014 build. I called BS because the "LESS" on the build sheet means it was an option for this vehicle. They then told me InControl wasn't available until 2015.
Any, this was the perfect vehicle, now not so much.

Question 1 - can InControl and WIFI be added after factory?
Question 2 - Aside from me killing the deal what do people think I should expect the dealer to do? Find me the same truck with WIFI? Their error, without WIFI I would have walked or offered less, although walked is more likely.

Thanks for any input,
Wayne

·
SUPER MODERATOR
977 Posts
Not sure about Canada but in the US I don't think we got InControl apps until MY15 and the remote InControl services until MY15.5. But really the remote stuff didn't get all the big features until MY17.

Being a MY14, what remote functions are you expecting the app to do if it could?

Keep the car and get a real LTE hotspot if it means that much - still give them hell for lying to you.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Agree with the last post.

The InControl stuff in 2015 sucked. It’s not worth adding or using. I had a 2015 with it and was also excited and then saw how lame it was.

Get a dedicated LTE WiFi hotspot if you want and then plug it / mount it around an aux power adapter and you will be good to go with a better LTE modem then would have been in a 2014 car.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a geek for a living so the tech stuff is what I want. The build sheets shows the options, but not installed. Got the truck, will look in to LTE wifi hotspot for it. Mainly wanted it for the wife to iPad it while we drive on vacations etc, but I can tether her as well. Remote start on phone would have been nice as well. Thanks for the feedback, nice to know the tech isn't all it's hyped up to be. They do need to get the program at the bleeding edge as there is nothing worse than a $20k car having better tech than a $120k car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The build sheets can be a little misleading.

For example, every North American build says “less TV tuner” or something along those lines. This was never an option in the US.

Also, it wasn’t until MY2017 is North America that the cars got remote start.

I have the WiFi in my 2017 and the connection is unbeatable slow since it is only 3G.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts