RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2014 FFRR Autobiography with the full trailer package factory installed. Looking to tow a house trailer which is all within the towing specs of the truck.

I have been googling like crazy to try and find out if I need to install a trailer brake controller in my truck, but cannot find a definitive answer. All I have been able to find is one comment that the Range Rover braking system manages the trailer brakes automatically through the vehicle system when you plug in the trailer. This was just a 2 second comment in a video of a new FFRR LWB towing a 7,000 lb trailer during a test of the RR towing capabilities.

Has anyone towed with their FFRR that can give me some feedback on this, or any techs with definitive knowledge on the issue?

Thanks for any assistance.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover MkIV / L405
14 Posts
I just sold my 2015 RR SWB SC8 and purchased a 2019 RR LWB SC8. Neither one of them had the towing kit and I will be adding a towing receiver hitch and 7 plug as I did to my 2015.

I haven’t seen anything anywhere that says that Range Rovers come with a brake controller installed. The fact that the wiring for one sits under the driver’s dashboard may be evidence that there is not one installed and they leave that up to the consumer. I’m not on expert on any of this but only speaking from experience. To clarify, neither of my RRs had the towing kit installed from the factory.

I tow an enclosed trailer for my race car and I installed a brake controller because I figured that I’m pulling about 6000lbs or so and didn’t want rely on the RR to do all the stopping. You can dial up and dial down the amount of braking the trailer does depending on the load with a brake controller. Only a brake controller can do this and it makes a huge difference when stopping.

I used a Prodigy 2 which worked flawlessly on my 2015. I’m about to install the same thing on my new 2019. The wiring connection that sits under the dashboard is not a direct connection to the brake controller. At least not into the Prodigy 2 that I have. I had a truck and trailer business install it and there was some adapter cable that was used. There is no information I can find that describes the exact cable that is needed. The closest I found was a connection I found on Amazon and the person had an LR4 and said it worked. I’ll send that link in another post.

·
Registered
2011 Range Rover 4.4TDV8 L322 / 2013 TDV6 L405
35 Posts
Try contacting Andy Thompson from CanAM RV, i know him through the airstream community and several members get there TV setup to tow safely.
He is super knowledgable and has a wide expericience with seting up european cars with brake controllers and WD hitch setups.
Although he's based out of Canada he can give you support and guide you in the right direction or send you parts that a knowledgeble installer can install.

Here in europe there's no brake controllers, we can only tow 3500kg's max.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts