Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here. Looking for help in deciding between these two cars. Both are available at different dealers & price difference is 8k (RRS is expensive).

Main question is - Does Porsche V8 can match RRS V8 Supercharged performance? 0-60 for Cayenne S is 5.7 Secs & RRS is 4.4 Secs.Am not worried about the torque.

Which car is overall better?

Also, which one would give me more headache in maintenance.

Thanks

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
You;ve already answered your first question.

Better how? Comfort? Off road abilities? Towing?

Maintenance is not a headache item. It is part of owning beasts like these. If you don;t keep up on maintenance the repairs will be a headache though. :mrgreen:

I've driven a couple of 494s, they are comfortable, fast, handle well. I've driven one Cayenne that the neighbour had. Could not stand it. Poorly laid out interior, could get comfortable and the seats don;t go high enough for decent view. I was embarrassed to be seen in the dang ugly thing. They have all the class, looks and stature of a bloated suppository. I would spend the extra monies for for a well maintained Sport.

·
Registered
2016 Range Rover Sport
211 Posts
I had to decide between a 2016 Cayenne S vs. RRS V8. Guess which one won?

The RRS V8 was superior to the Cayenne S in my book. I preferred the look of the RRS, the engine, the locking differentials, low gears/offroad abilities etc.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I also debated between the Cayenne (GTS) and the RRS SC. I liked the Cayenne, particularly from a handling standpoint, but in pretty much every other category the RRS won out: power, acceleration, comfort, off-road ability, looks, visibility (poor outward visibility in the Cayenne). Moreover, the wife and kids told me the Cayenne looked "too girly" lol, and favored the RR. After that comment I looked and pretty much every Cayenne in KC is driven by a female haha. For all of the above reasons I chose the Sport.

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,240 Posts
The RRS V8 matches better with the Turbo trim than the S, and with non-SVR L494s, the turbo would win out performance wise, but at a $25,000 premium new.

Looks are subjective and while I wouldn't call it a bloated suppository, I understand why RRToadHall does.

Way too many buttons on the outgoing Cayenne interior, which Porsche did address with the new generation, although they didn't do enough to the exterior.

Not sure this matters to you, but buying a 2014 Cayenne you are buying into the old generation. A 2014 RRS will be the current generation at least for another 3-4 years I'd wager.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
I wouldn't call it a bloated suppository, I understand why RRToadHall does.
LMAO Airplane! quote... "Oh, it's a big pretty white plane with red stripes, curtains in the windows and wheels and it looks like a big Tylenol"

So fine, The Cayenne looks like a big Tylenol with wheels. :lol:

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is the very same debate that took nearly 12 months to resolve when I was searching for a replacement vehicle for my 2013 JC Trailhawk as the "one-vehicle" solution for towing, offroading, and general utility. Was looking at the 2017 Cayenne S, 2017 JGC Diesel/Hemi, and 2017 RRS Diesel/SC (then all 2016 models test-driven, was intending to do a factory order 2017 model). Also looked at a top-trim F150 and Expedition.

JGC was immediately stuck down after researching cooling issues when towing with the Diesel, and the HEMI gets awful fuel economy when towing. Interior, exterior, and equipment on the Jeep is excellent for the price point - fantastic value I think. Took the F150 and Expedition with the 3.5L Ecoboost for a test-drive, and immediately said NO.

We put a lot of thought into the Porsche, took a test-drive, but decided against it:
  • The interior is a disaster on the Porsche with a billion buttons, extraordinarily large and in-your-face air vents, and a cramped cockpit. There is even less up-front storage with the Porsche than the RRS, and with our L494 we already don't get much storage space as-is!
  • The standard seats were very uncomfortable, but then when upgrading to the excellent Sport seats the backseats don't fold down much at all which makes it very impractical.
  • Handling was excellent, but ride with the Air suspension was a bit stiff - the salesman interestingly told me to push it as hard as I could through corners which was fun.
  • I didn't like the 2016 model infotainment on the Porsche, and felt that even the 2016 model infotainment on the RRS was better. I knew the Porsche wasn't due for a refresh until at least the 2018/2019 model years, while the RRS was getting the F-Pace system in 2017, along with full-TFT virtual instrument panel w/ 3D Maps.
  • Porsche truly nickels & dimes you on options, and oh boy their options list is long. C'mon torque vectoring, air suspension, dynamic chassis control not standard and all three add nearly $8000 to the price? When configured, we were looking at $115,000 before taxes and warranty. The Turbo model was configured at nearly $150,000. We got our 2017 RRS SC Dynamic for $110,000 on-the-road including a 6-yr 100K warranty. Is the L494 good value? Maybe not, but certainly better value than the Cayenne. :)

I will note that the 2019 Porsche Cayenne, with the new generation of interior started by the Panamera, is absolutely gorgeous on the inside. They've also done a fine job styling the front and sides, but the rear is awful and reminds me too much of the MKZ or Durango.

Overall, very, very happy with my decision to get the MY2017 RRS SC V8 Dynamic, and will likely get a RR/RRS as my next vehicle again a few years down the road once more autonomous capabilities are added.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts