RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Super new to the forum but this seemed to be the most fitting place to get the best information. Ill keep it bulleted as to not bore you. Point of the article is to see if its a good purchase. No order in particular. Will address some concerns at the bottom Thanks in advance!

-2014 Loaded Range Rover Sport SC V8 with 45k miles Corris Grey with black accents
-Not beaten or abused, completely stock
-Recently had infamous cooling flush/ parts replaced
-Clean Carfax
-Breaks replaced
-Tires are solid
-no knocks
-Recall work done, ie: Door latches
-Out of warranty
-Asking 34k$ or best offer 0% interest (over the counter deal with a colleague)
-Leasing or buying new is not an option
-Not forced to purchase vehicle
-Always wanted a range rover but couldn't justify spending absurd amounts for a newer one
-somewhat of an enthusiast
-Pre-Purchase inspection will be done prior to acquisition
-Owner wants a new bronco and needs this gone

Okay, to address a few concerns, 1.) Would you recommend an aftermarket warranty or hold onto the 7k$ they are asking for one? 2.) Should I concerned about the timing chain issues and/or the supercharger coupling/isolators?

Please let me know your thoughts as I am seriously considering this vehicle. Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey milli, welcome to the forum!

I had the exact same car (mine was black on black), which I also bought pre-owned. And I ended up having to do the timing chain. Thank goodness mine was still under warranty when it happened as the bill would have been over $10k. Shortly after the warranty expired (I didn't have an extended warranty), the differential went bad and a few days later the TFT screen went bad also. I was able to negotiate with LRNA for them to pay 50% of the repair because of the history of issues with the car and because it was less than 6 months out of warranty. Still, my part of the bill was close to $4k.

The point I am trying to make is that these cars are expensive to repair. If you plan to keep the car for a while, the $7k extended warranty is not a bad investment because there is more than 50% chance you'll have to spend at least that in repairs in the next couple of years. Now, you could be super lucky and not have one single problem with the car moving forward, but look at it's history. It already had one of the "infamous" issues. Chances are, it will have one other (or more) as it ages.

How comprehensive is the aftermarket warranty? Look into that as not all warranties are the same.

Price seems to be fair. A quick search on CarGurus shows $35K as the average fair price for a 14 RRS SC with less than 45k miles.

On the bright side, there is NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING that even comes close to driving a Range Rover! Once you get behind the wheel of one of these babies, BMW X5s and MB GLEs feel like Chevys compared to a RRS (I've owned both). People ask me all the time, why do you put up with your car being in the shop all the time (I traded the 14 for a 17 CPO a couple of years ago), and my answer is always the same: because there is nothing like driving a Range Rover :)

GLWTP!

Jose

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jose,

Hey thank you for the reply. Really appreciate your input. The aftermarket warranty is not quite out of the question. The argument really seems to be fifty fifty on this one. My only concerns about the warranties is the possibility of never using it or the business being so hard to work with it was useless to purchase it in the first place. Mind if I ask who you went through for yours? I will do some digging on here as well and see what others have posted. Thanks!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Only buy the warranty if it’s a quality branded or backed by a good financial institution. You will definitely use the warranty.

That price for the truck and the warranty seem good to me. I paid the same price for a 4 year platinum bumper to bumper aftermarket warranty. To date in just one year they’ve paid out over 7k in repairs. Little minor things add up. Peace of mind is worth it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey!! f10m5, you are quite the celebrity here thanks for your feedback! Originally I was against the aftermarket warranty from other posts but It seems that its a different story with these vehicles. Definitely agree with the peace of mind aspect of it. Do you mind sharing the company you got your warranty from? Currently waiting on a call back from LRRR dealer about a quote from a local warranty company. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I didn't catch whether you're buying from a Land Rover dealer, or just the checking with the LR dealer for a warranty. This would be important to me b/c I bought my 2014 RRS from a boutique dealer, but not a LR dealer. EVERY time I buy a vehicle from an after-market dealer, there are hidden fault codes. I love my RRS, and would have bought it anyway b/c it was VERY hard to find with the two options I really needed: Tow package AND third row seats. But as I expected, mine came with two hidden fault codes. (I suspect the non-LR dealer clears the code without fixing the expensive repairs, and they pop up again at about 250 miles of use with the unsuspecting new owner.) I just took mine to the local LR dealer and paid the price to fix - $7000. worth. Car had been shipped from very far away with no warranty. Would I do it again? YES, it was very hard finding the vehicle with the options I wanted, PLUS I knew from experience that it would come with hidden fault codes.
Other concern in your case: You have a lot of history, but do you have the full service history, all oil changes, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mark, thanks for your input! It is an over the counter deal with a friend. Definitely working on getting the service history for the vehicle. The more testimonials I see from here and other forums makes me believe that the warranty is the way to go.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Millidelphia... I would only buy that 14' Rover Sport "IF" the seller could produce ALL the oil changes and mileage between each change documented... 3 oil changes in 45,000 miles wouldn't cut it for me as that is what the previous woman owner thought was acceptable for my 14.5' RR Sport Supercharged. She went too long between changes... let the oil level stay in a constant starved and filthy/dirty oil state. What was the result? 2,000 miles after I bought her she spun a crank shaft bearing and became a $40,000 total engine replacement nightmare. In the end after arguing with the loser warranty company for 28 days strait they finally ate it, thanks to divine intervention no doubt! They tried everything they could to say it was a pre-existing condition which is total BS. Nobody is going to buy any vehicle that sounds like a rusty chainsaw trying to cut thru a steel support beam.

I have a new JLR installed OEM "AJ-V8" engine and have about 4,000 miles on her since February. In another 1,000 miles I'll be changing the oil again like I did after she had a 1,000 mile new engine break-in with Castrol Professional 0w-20 and an OEM filter. 10 minute job and will keep her running a long time I pray. The OEM 12,000 mile oil change interval is ridiculous and should be ignored. I can change my oil for about $160 with OEM oil and filter twice a year... so basically for nothing. So if you are satisfied with the oil change maintenance schedule and want to pull the trigger then I DEFINITELY recommend getting a 3 year 36K mile warranty that covers all major parts. I paid $5,000 for mine before pulling off the lot and thank God I did. I only wished that I would NOT have bought said warranty from the loser company known as "Easy-Care". Total "(un^s" and I would drink a gallon of gasoline just to urinate on them if they were on fire! I hope all works out well for you because a 14' Rover Sport v8 Supercharged in good well maintained condition is a heck of a machine!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ham, thanks for the response! I have seen several of your threads following this topic. Appreciate the descriptive input. After weeks of careful review I am going to roll the dice and save the 7000$ the dealer is wanting to charge for for a warranty. the warranty is through a third party as are all JLR aftermarket warranties. I know that the service has been kept up on religiously but will double check once I see it in person and talk to the owner. I would rather use that money when something does go wrong (if it does) than spend 7k$ and nothing ever goes wrong. This was the cheapest warranty I could find and its only a 3 year warranty. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and with the amount of information I have gathered from the threads preventative maintenance (oil changes and fluid changes) seems to be the best route aside from little things like brakes, window regulators and other odds and ends that fail. I will most definitely keep everyone updated on my journey!

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
240 Posts
Ham, thanks for the response! I have seen several of your threads following this topic. Appreciate the descriptive input. After weeks of careful review I am going to roll the dice and save the 7000$ the dealer is wanting to charge for for a warranty. the warranty is through a third party as are all JLR aftermarket warranties. I know that the service has been kept up on religiously but will double check once I see it in person and talk to the owner. I would rather use that money when something does go wrong (if it does) than spend 7k$ and nothing ever goes wrong. This was the cheapest warranty I could find and its only a 3 year warranty. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and with the amount of information I have gathered from the threads preventative maintenance (oil changes and fluid changes) seems to be the best route aside from little things like brakes, window regulators and other odds and ends that fail. I will most definitely keep everyone updated on my journey!
I think that's the way I would go too. There always seems to be loopholes in the form of excluded items and I don't believe maintenance such as brakes, tires, fluid changes etc are ever covered.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I fully support your decision then. Keep the oil and filter change intervals at 6K miles and you should be fine as long as the previous owner did. The Rover Sport 5.0L SC is a vehicle I'd be happy driving for the rest of my life because it's so classic... as long as everything is running optimal. That "AJ-V8" engine is strongly built especially on the low end... It's achilles heel is the Variable Valve Timing (VVT) system, (as all new and modern engines that are worth their salt are), and are heavily dependent upon the right oil getting to all the important places immediately where it needs to go upon start up. 2, having enough of that oil as to make near max oil pressure constant as to allow the chain guide pistons full tilt operation in order to advance the critical timing constantly. And finally 3, making sure that the oil and filter are clean ensuring even flow and constant cleaning and lubricity. Dirty oil and not enough of it allows for none of the aforementioned. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ham, that seems to be the general consensus; keeping up on the oil! Much respect seeing your comments seeing the process you have had to go through. super excited!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts