RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have US spec 2014 L405 V6 SC gas.

I'm ready to change the front and rear diff fluids. My rear is the open diff.

On my owners manual, it says both front and rear diff should use Castrol SAF-XO (replaced by Castrol Syntrax Long Life 75W-90)

However, on the workshop manual, it says the front diff should use Castrol SAF-XO, and rear diff should use Castrol BOT 750B

Which one is the correct fluid to use for my open rear diff?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe the the BOT 720 is for locking dif's. I changed my 2015 L405 SC 2 months ago and used the SAF-XO (Syntrax) in both (I have non-locking as well). My owners manual says SAF-XO for both on non locking and BOT 720 for locking. No problem so far.
____

And I think the fluid has been replaced/name change to SYNTRAX

___

On a side note, if yours is like mine, the front dif drain plug is hidden by a support bracket.

Some info -

If you read the specs for the Ravenol it says compatible with BOT 720 as a cross reference.
_
Not sure what truck this is for -

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the the BOT 720 is for locking dif's. I changed my 2015 L405 SC 2 months ago and used the SAF-XO (Syntrax) in both (I have non-locking as well). My owners manual says SAF-XO for both on non locking and BOT 720 for locking. No problem so far.
____

And I think the fluid has been replaced/name change to SYNTRAX

___

On a side note, if yours is like mine, the front dif drain plug is hidden by a support bracket.

Some info -

If you read the specs for the Ravenol it says compatible with BOT 720 as a cross reference.
_
Not sure what truck this is for -
Thanks, checked with the dealer and got the same answer of yours. The BOT is for the locking diffs. I've replaced both with the Syntrax and they ran great. Have you changed your transmission fluid and pan?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Excellent news. I have not, in another 10K at 50K I'm going to. Need to find the filter/pan, let me know if you find a good source. I have though in 3 different L322's multiple times. Next for me is the the dynamic response fluid, power steering and coolant.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts

There's the transmission pan. LR Part # LR065238

The dynamic response fluid does in fact need to be bled by a diagnostic scan tool. Just an FYI, you do not want air bubbles in the system it WILL kill the pump quickly.

·
Registered
195 Posts
What’s the dynamic response fluid?

so we need a diag tool? I have the gap tool but was going to have my mechanic do it. If tool is needed I’d rather take it to a real shop lol

wnyone do the transmission service yet

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
It's for the active sway bars..yours being a 2014 may be low, check it. It's on the driver side with a yellow cap. To the right of the oil fill.

My 2016 is low. Probably leaking. Not looking forward to the repair.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It’s on for service now getting new active sway, bushings and all new control arms and ball joints. Hopefully part of this service requires a refill of the fluid.

somehow I doubt it

·
Registered
17 Posts

There's the transmission pan. LR Part # LR065238

The dynamic response fluid does in fact need to be bled by a diagnostic scan tool. Just an FYI, you do not want air bubbles in the system it WILL kill the pump quickly.
Thanks for the info on the response fluid, can't wait to see what the dealer charges. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've changed the transmission oil pan on my old LR3, what a PITA. Needed to jack the engine up to clear the filler neck. Hopefully the L405 won't be that hard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've changed the transmission oil pan on my old LR3, what a PITA. Needed to jack the engine up to clear the filler neck. Hopefully the L405 won't be that hard.
No one has to do it that way anymore in the LR3/LR4 (pre 2014, anyhow) world as there are now updated parts that separate the transmission fluid filter and associated neck from the pan. Atlantic British carries the updated parts, but I don't see where they have them yet for the 8-speed transmission.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No one has to do it that way anymore in the LR3/LR4 (pre 2014, anyhow) world as there are now updated parts that separate the transmission fluid filter and associated neck from the pan. Atlantic British carries the updated parts, but I don't see where they have them yet for the 8-speed transmission.
That's good to hear. I'm hitting 60k miles soon so I'll look into OEM filter and ZF fluid soon.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Guys is this the Castrol LSD the new one? It seems Even harder to find than the one the manual states.

Do we just need 2 1L ? How many bottles to get the front and rear done?

Also how does one tell if they have the locking rear diff? My dealer said all 14 V8 SC come with it but I see a user here has a 14 SCV8 with no locking?

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Without low tranny:
Land Rover recommends
Castrol BOT 805

With low tranny:
Land Rover recommends TL
7300 Shell TF 0753.

if anyone also knows how much we need

1 - 15 of 15 Posts