RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new 2013 RRS S/C owner and I think there is a problem with the front passenger door locking/unlocking mechanism on my vehicle. I haven't seen this exact issue described in other threads so I'm trying to learn if there is a problem or if there is some feature of which I'm unaware.

For the most part, the front passenger door lock/unlock operation works as expected; however, the following has happened on several occasions. My son and I exit the vehicle and I lock the doors by pressing the black button on the driver's side door handle. I'm assuming the vehicle locks because the mirrors fold in and I hear the vehicle lock. When we return to the vehicle, he's unable to open the front passenger door from the outside even after I've opened the driver's door and the passenger door lock lever is in the unlocked position. Locking/unlocking the car again has no affect on his ability to open the door though the inside lock lever moves to the locked/unlocked position accordingly. I can only open his door from the inside. It then works as expected for a few days or a week before happening again.

The fact that my son is a 13 year old boy who thinks he must constantly press buttons and flip switches (coupled with this not having happened with other passengers) has caused me to wonder if he may be triggering some obscure feature or if it's really a problem.

Any one else experience this?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
799 Posts
My wife and I run into this issue all the time. Because the car is designed to read your fob the instant you touch the handle you have to teach your son to NOT touch anything until he sees that you've opened your door. Once you've opened your door the other three should unlock and your son can get in trouble free. It's just the way the locking mechanism is designed and it takes a while to learn it. Heck, I've had my rover for a year now and I still screw it up once in awhile.

If you want to avoid all of this, simply use the fob to remotely unlock the vehicle before the both of you get anywhere near the door handles. Like in the olden days of yore.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for both responses. I'll try using the remote before anyone reaches the vehicle and also ask the dealer to take a look at the locking mechanism during my next visit.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
799 Posts
I think you misunderstood my post. The problem may just be user error. As soon as your hand makes contact with the door handle the car reads your FOB and automatically unlocks ALL the doors. If your son is pressing the black rubber button on the door at the same time it confuses the system and causes it to either unlock just your door or keep all doors locked. This is why I said that you need to teach your son to keep his hands off the door handle until you have opened your door. There is a setting on the dash display that allows you to customize it a bit but read the manual and get acquainted with how this system works. I am just speaking from experience but the manual will reveal all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't misunderstand. He's definitely NOT pressing the black rubber button on the door handle. He may touch the front passenger door handle (not the button) before I touch the driver's side door handle to unlock the car. I've read the manual but haven't seen anything that describes the behavior I'm witnessing. I think it's an issue.

Regardless of when someone grabs the passenger door handle, I wouldn't think the vehicle would be designed to then lock their door such that it can only be unlocked from the inside. I could possibly conceive of a scenario where vehicles set to unlock only the driver's door on the first touch/press would interpret someone touching the passenger door handle (before it's unlocked) as a threat and super lock the door. Though this would be problematic as well and my vehicle is set to unlock all doors at the same time anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts