RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, so that time has come on my RR. Timing chain tensioner is going out. Lucky for me it is covered under warranty but I wanted to ask..... since the engine is gonna have to come apart to some degree, is it worth it to just have them rebuild engine while it is apart? I am not sure how deep they dismantle it and would like to get anything done while it is already apart. Any help is appreciated.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
well how many miles are on it?

make sure they replace the chain along with tensioners and guides. A few folks have said they didn't replace the chain.

There are several threads in the 494 section with photos. I will move this over there.

A full rebuild would be all on you. Warranty will only cover what is in the TSB from JLR

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
81k miles. I know warranty won't cover the extra stuff for rebuild. I just didn't know how far they actually disassemble for the tensioner. Was thinking if it is completely broken down, might as well pay the extra to have heads done and everything else while it is apart already.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
they don't go nearly that far. front of the engine comes off, valve covers.... just go read the TSB to see if you are even impacted

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
The search tab is a wonderful thing, you can sort by model.

However, I have to ask why you think timing chain tensioners are needing to be replaced? In the back of mind, since you posted, I've been thinking 2013s are not impacted. So below is a thread the VIN Range for each of three models with issue.

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-range-rover-sport-l320/260337-timing-chain-guides-tensioners-5-0-a.html

If you really want to have them done you can download the shop manual and see what the procedures are.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol the search tab doesn't show me anything on the mobile version. Or I wouldn't have asked. Clearly not searching the way you are but ok.

I am thinking tensioner is bad because that is what the shop told me after changing oil. To this point they have never steered me wrong or lied about anything so I have no reason to doubt them. My car seems to be unique in the world of RR where pretty much any and every part is breaking or broken 30-50k miles ahead of schedule. Or even things that rarely happen on my model car. Just lucky I guess lol.

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-range-rover-sport-l320/260337-timing-chain-guides-tensioners-5-0-a.html

If you really want to have them done you can download the shop manual and see what the procedures are.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The search tab is a wonderful thing, you can sort by model.

However, I have to ask why you think timing chain tensioners are needing to be replaced? In the back of mind, since you posted, I've been thinking 2013s are not impacted. So below is a thread the VIN Range for each of three models with issue.

2013's definitely impacted (and 14's apparently), this has been covered in another post (someone took apart a 13 and the guides/tensioners had the same issues). My '13 is in the shop right now after a failed tensioner.

Btw there is a lawsuit in the states right now (not sure of status) for this very issue since obviously JLR failed to do anything about a known design issue.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/jaguar-land-rover-timing-chain-lawsuit-engines-fail.shtml

Lawyers website: https://www.kgglaw.com/class-action/land-rover-and-jaguar-timing-chain-defect-class-action/

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
88 Posts
2013's definitely impacted (and 14's apparently), this has been covered in another post (someone took apart a 13 and the guides/tensioners had the same issues). My '13 is in the shop right now after a failed tensioner.

Btw there is a lawsuit in the states right now (not sure of status) for this very issue since obviously JLR failed to do anything about a known design issue.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/jaguar-land-rover-timing-chain-lawsuit-engines-fail.shtml

Lawyers website: https://www.kgglaw.com/class-action/land-rover-and-jaguar-timing-chain-defect-class-action/
You say the 13's(L320) are definitely impacted and apparently the 14's(L494) as well? Where do you have the information from? I have looked, but can't find any relevant documentation or VIN's to indicate which models this applies to.
As far as I can see by the links to the lawsuit this is all in reference to the V8, does anyone know if the V6 has the same issue?

·
Registered
94 Posts
You say the 13's(L320) are definitely impacted and apparently the 14's(L494) as well? Where do you have the information from? I have looked, but can't find any relevant documentation or VIN's to indicate which models this applies to.
As far as I can see by the links to the lawsuit this is all in reference to the V8, does anyone know if the V6 has the same issue?
Good question. Assuming you don't have a diesel, which has a belt, I don't think the V6 has the same tensioner and guide design so while any car with a timing chain can eventually have issues I don't think the V6s have this premature wear problem. They never seem to come up anyway.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey everyone, so that time has come on my RR. Timing chain tensioner is going out. Lucky for me it is covered under warranty but I wanted to ask..... since the engine is gonna have to come apart to some degree, is it worth it to just have them rebuild engine while it is apart? I am not sure how deep they dismantle it and would like to get anything done while it is already apart. Any help is appreciated.
Old post I know so forgive me... I am having the same exact problem with either the tensioner(s) are going tits up, the timing chain is actually stretched, or the chain guides, the gear teeth on the dual overhead cam(s) that is driven from the timing chain, etc....

LOCOITALY, did you ever find the resolve to your issue? Our 2014' L494 Range Rovers Sport Supercharged V8 is going back to my dealer tomorrow after only owning for less than 2 months. I have a 36K and 36Month warranty we purchased with our Baby but I'd certainly rather Not pay a $500 deductible and even use the warranty if there is a Technical Service Bulletin from the factory about the aforementioned parts and labor. I love this Rover more than any other vehicle I've ever owned/driven both new and used so I want to keep her for many, many years to come for both me and my family. What exactly did they end up replacing Locoitaly? Was it covered on under the Factory Issued TSB? Thanks Locoitaly! Again, sorry for reviving a 2 year old thread but I really need to know about this TSB and what the outcome of this thread.

Thanks in advance to all.
-Ham

1 - 11 of 11 Posts