RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Friends!

So the dreaded 'Check Engine' light has come on - pulled out the trusty OBDII reader, and learnt we are running rich via P0172 and P0175.

Done a bit of research, and have a question:
Q) Surely a few of us has seen the video that reviews how we can tell if the MAF is working or faulty: with the vehicle on, disconnect the MAF (or, the 2x MAFs in our rigs). If the car cuts out, the MAFs are working (do correct me if I'm wrong here!). My engine just kept running with either, and both, MAFs unplugged...meaning my MAFs are faulty?

Anyways, I picked up the CSC branded MAF Cleaner from the local automotive shop, and have given both MAFs a good spray down. Plugged the Reader back in and reset the codes.

From those who have seen these codes and have gone down the spray route: how did it go? Did you notice P0172 and P0175 returning?

And! From those who have replaced their MAFs - recommendations on who/where to order from? I presume we should order 2x MAFs and just replace both?

Many Thanks! :-o

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
On my 08 RRS/SC whenever I got those codes I found a bottle of a good system cleaner solved the issue. BG44K is the Lexus of brands, but Gumout's SEA FOAM equivalent or original SEA FOAM works. I was using Lucas' best stuff. The issue is the injectors are spitting and not spraying. Cheap fix: always worked on my 08. Became routine on my last Jag.

On my 13 HSE, I cleaned the MAF sensors and the Throttle Body and plate regularly. Also make sure all fitting are air tight.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim!

I gave the MAFs a good spray down/cleaning, and ran the truck for another day or two before the Check Engine light turned off. Will keep an eye on it!

Good call on the other preventative items as well - just keeping her up and running!

Complete side note: we have now noticed that the drive side HOOD is not closing back in place...it juts up if that makes sense...it's not aligned, and there was a noticable wobble of the hood whilst driving on the freeway this as weekend. Surely not the safest thing. What a mess!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts