RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new here, so forgive me for any unconscious faux pas.

Just bought a lovely 2013 Range Rover Sport HSE Luxury - pretty much fully equipped, however, it does not have the backup camera, which I assume would be easy to add, as the monitor knows it is missing, so apparently the software is there, likely the wiring loom is there - just missing the one component - a camera.

In investigating the issue, however, I see that there is a surround camera system on some 2013s. Would it be possible (anything is possible with enough money, I know) to install the surround system of cameras in my HSE? Or would it be too complex and risky? Seems like it would be valuable for off road and maneuvering.

So - 1) what do I need to know to have it installed? Is my only option a dealership? Do I need to sell my first born son in that case?

2) Who has experience using this system and can advise me on operation and what to look out for?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
I am fairly certain all sports have a backup camera standard. I am 99.9% sure that's not an option.

Did you buy at a Rover dealer? Did you already look to see if the camera is in the spoiler and it's just not working?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply - you are correct - there is a camera in the spoiler. Must not be able to be found by the system, then, as when I start - the screen tells me "Parking Aid Alert - Camera unavailable - Please consult your dealer"

i bought it from an independent dealer who buys all trade-ins from a consortium who sells BMW, Mercedes and Land Rover, however, it had been serviced it's entire life at a Land Rover dealer near me. Guess I need to take it there, then?

Any ideas about surround cameras?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,966 Posts
Take a pic of your bumper and outside mirrors and I'll tell you if you have surround cameras.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, sir. Here are the photos you requested. I do not see any obvious cameras like in the rear spoiler, but you have the expertise.

If it turns out I do not have the surround cameras and want to add them, what is entailed? Replacing the mirrors? New software? Different monitor? Just curious. I suppose I can get a quote from the dealer, just wanted to be informed before I do that.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
To be brutally honest the surround system is nice but once you've had it for a few months you never use it. I used it more taking pictures of the display while in the car wash than actually on the road. The cost to add the system is going to be insane if it can be done at all. Buying the individual cameras and wiring etc you would have been better to find a rig with te vision package

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
No you don't have the vision package or cameras.
But you should have the standard backup camera, came with all 2010+ RRS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, Gentlemen - for your insights and experience. Guess the surround idea would have been fine if it came with the car, but I am quite happy with the car as it is. I guess I will go to the dealer and have them sort out why the system is not finding the rear view camera. Maybe it is as simple as the camera not being selected in the camera controller, but I cannot find that control adjustment screen in tools. Any ideas?

I loved my '99 HSE, but this one is so far advanced, really enjoyable to drive.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thank you, Gentlemen - for your insights and experience. Guess the surround idea would have been fine if it came with the car, but I am quite happy with the car as it is. I guess I will go to the dealer and have them sort out why the system is not finding the rear view camera. Maybe it is as simple as the camera not being selected in the camera controller, but I cannot find that control adjustment screen in tools. Any ideas?

I loved my '99 HSE, but this one is so far advanced, really enjoyable to drive.
I would think the previous owner accessed the hidden menu on the l320's. This menu can be accessed by sequence (something to do with holding the left top corner of your navi screen for X amount of seconds then pressing the middle) and thought by activating the cameras on the menu, he/she may will magically have surround cameras. Google "engineer menu l320" to figure out how to turn it off.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,966 Posts
I know about the menu and I don't think it worked for the 2013. It did work on my 2011 RRS L 320. However, based on the pics he doesn't have the vision assist and just need to work on activating the reverse camera.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys were right - I Googled "engineer menu I320", then refined it to "Range Rover 2013" and got a little YouTube video which explained how to access the special menus on a 2013 - basically, you touch the top left corner of the screen (Valet box) for 15 seconds, it then opens. Once in, I was able to see the rear camera feed - looks like the camera has a problem. SO, now I know what to ask for when I visit the dealer. Thanks, all - for the great advice.
IMG_2625.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts