Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Made it five miles from the dealer before the check engine light came on with the restricted power caution. 15 miles more it says it is low on coolant. Top it off with a 1/2 gallon, check it 15 miles later and put in another 1/2 gallon which may have overfilled it a bit. Engine light still on, a slow drip from somewhere I cannot see, so not at the reservoir or radiator nor the heater core. Parked all night, maybe three tablespoons dripped, drove five miles this morning and it is clear there is a small amount leaking somewhere that drops on the ground near the front, looks like under the plastic crossover near the smallest diameter hose. Tailpipe clear, no white smoke.

So, I am waiting on my buddys simple code reader to get here. As far as I can tell from the dash gauge the truck never got hot and the heater works fine on both driver and passenger sides. Doesn't smell hot, engine runs fine unless you try WOT and then it bogs down hard. Ease into the gas and it is smooth and seems normal.

Put Techtron super fuel cleaner bottle in this morning on a 1/2 tank, I will put a few miles on it in the next hour and then fill it up. Several posts here mention clogs in the fuel pump or rails can trigger these power restriction errors, and since the truck has put on only 300 miles in the last 2 years I see that as a prime suspect that might just clear up with some more driving and clearing the unknown codes. I have searched pretty hard here on this forum and the internet and see the causes are all over the place and they may take a while to run down. I ordered a code reader from Atlantic British to prepare for this journey.

The dealer is 120 miles away that I bought it from and I need to take it back there without doing any wrenching on it myself. They have the fancier code clearing devices for all European vehicles, and BTW - it passed emissions yesterday with no codes,...

***Just posting to get any advice from strangers on where the leak might be. They replaced the water pump, thermostat and the "cross over pipe" a few months ago. Perhaps a clamp didn't get tightened or an old hose sprang a tiny leak? What do you think? My fear is that their mechanic will want to keep it for a few days leaving me stranded a hundred miles from home.

San Diego car until two years ago when it arrived in Arizona, never seen weather or off road before at 116k miles. A real beauty.

Thanks for reading,
Rock

· Premium Member
2013 Autobiography RRS 5.0SC...L322 03 Vogue 4.4lt
667 Posts
If you don't solve the problem i think your greatest fear is going to happen mate!
Check all the O-rings on coolant pipes check with worm camera under SC?

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
O-rings on coolant pipes - good call. Their mechanic is pretty good, but I am thinking it will be ok for the trip if I stop a few times to check the overflow reservoir.

Any other thoughts?

· Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
188 Posts
Definitely need the exact codes so we can help more. On my 2012 I got the reduced performance message when the high pressure pumps were going out, but the fuel pressure sensor can also cause it.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Used car dealer specializing in exotic cars - I just bought it last night.

The codes:

The P0526 code means that the PCM detected a voltage reading that was either too low or too high from the electric cooling fan control circuit.

It looks like the wiring got chewed up by the fan, tore it all out.

P0489 code is stored, it means that the engine control module (ECM) has detected a fault with an electrical component of the EGR system.

The P0420 code signals a low catalyst system efficiency. This code suggests that the oxygen levels are below the desired threshold (Bank 1)

P0480 means that the cooling fan 1 control circuit has a malfunction. The vehicles ECU has tried to control the cooling fan 1 and it has failed to operate or a fault was detected.

Their mechanic replaced the water pump, thermostat and all the plastic cooling hoses less than 25 miles ago. I think he left those sensor wire dangling to where the fan caught them and pulled the sensor loose. I can't see exactly where that is, but leak is up in that area.

Waiting to see what the dealer will do - there is a warranty covering something like this but I am not sure I want to throw down 120 miles more on it with the risk of overheating. Hasn't yet, but,...

Wonder if I can jumper a wire or two to turn the electric fan on all the time in order to get there? Or just not let it idle like I have this morning because it drove just fine last night at freeway speeds.

Thanks for looking

· Premium Member
667 Posts
Yeah you could jump the cooling fan...depends on what you have with you to do anything like this on the road side?
Your code aren't anything that's going to stop you from running so you'll be ok
Your coolant leak...maybe sensor after fan caught sensor loom and tore it out ?

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Plant Insect Arthropod Twig Pest

Any thoughts on the part number(s) for this wire and sensor ? Would like to help the mechanic order the part it needs before I drive 120 miles only to get stranded there because he doesn't have it and can't get it until the naval blockade of England is broken. Looking the the manuals downloaded from the sticky on this sub - forum but it is tough going so far.

· Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
188 Posts
Not sure if you are aware but you can look up part numbers on Lrcat

Even before I went and looked I doubted you can get that harness as a separate part number. I can't tell from pic, and I can't remember since I converted to an electric fan, if that harness is removable on the fan side? From the pic it looks like maybe it is. Your best bet would be a Range Rover junkyard probably. I have good luck with the guys at Roverland Parts - Your source for Land Rover Parts

Lrcat is not showing a separate part number:

Slope Rectangle Line Font Parallel

Attachments

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great, thanks for the link - that will help. Unfortunately air has got into the cooling system and it is not circulating anymore. Hope the dealer can send a truck to pick it up as I cannot drive it a 120 miles back.

· Registered
2011 L320 RRS 3.0 TDV6 HSE Luxury with Dynamic Pack - Fuji White on Ebony with Ivory contrast
1,188 Posts
I’m having a hard time here, at 5 miles from the dealer you bought the car from the check engine light came on. So rather than go back and say fix it, you proceeded to drive it the remaining 115 miles home. Now you have a mess on your hands, possibly did more damage and need to get the car back the 120 miles to the dealer. Does this about sum it up? Sorry, but this is just defying logic to me.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Dealer was closed, I knew that as I left the place but I called just to check. As for the warning, this forum told me the Restricted Performance pops up for many reasons and often goes away on its own. They sent a flatbed to pick it up with a loaner truck for me to drive while they get it fixed. The electric fan wire being pulled loose is one thing, the tiny leak in the system showed up the next day, although I suspected the heater core had not been bled properly so that is why it was down a 1/2 gallon the night before when I turned on the heat. That was 110 miles of smooth driving as long as I didn't WOT.

From the codes and the performance of the engine, I think it is fine. You chaps in other countries don't realize just how little a distance like 115 miles is in a western US state like Arizona is to us. We will go that far just for dinner. 😉

· Registered
2011 L320 RRS 3.0 TDV6 HSE Luxury with Dynamic Pack - Fuji White on Ebony with Ivory contrast
1,188 Posts
Dude, I’m from So Cal, 115 miles is nothing, but not in a car that isn’t running right. Restricted performance is one thing, restricted performance and check engine light together is another.

I used to drive 300 miles to Mammoth Lakes, have lunch, do a little hiking and drive 300 miles back home in the same day. Or drive up to Big Bear for late breakfast then down to Manhattan Beach for dinner in a day. Drove to Lubbock, Texas in a day for a BBQ and some target practice the next day then back to CA the day after. Did a 5,300 mile road trip here in Europe. A couple smaller trips prior to that. Driven the 958 miles from Bristol, UK to Poznan, Poland in a day trip. Done the same back and forth a few times, but broken up due to ferry times. Definitely no stranger to long distances, but doing it in a sick car is a recipe for disaster. And Europeans do tend to look at me like I’m crazy when I tell them I’ve driven 300 miles for lunch.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Low coolant warning is very different from overheating - I parked it after I got the overheat. And topping off 1/2 gallon took away the low coolant warning at the start of the trip at night. Even with the Power Reduction - (SuperCharger blocked from operating), smooth sailing right up until the next day. They have the part ordered from the local LR dealer, should have it together and back to me by the weekend. Really looking forward to driving this again without the warnings !

· Premium Member
667 Posts
Low coolant warning is very different from overheating - I parked it after I got the overheat. And topping off 1/2 gallon took away the low coolant warning at the start of the trip at night. Even with the Power Reduction - (SuperCharger blocked from operating), smooth sailing right up until the next day. They have the part ordered from the local LR dealer, should have it together and back to me by the weekend. Really looking forward to driving this again without the warnings !
Fingers crossed that no damage was done in the mileage you did with the as you say (small) leak...if it was mine and i noticed a (small) leak it gets cooled down , shut down and a tilt tray truck ordered...no matter who has to pay to get it to the JLR workshop for the recommended repairs or warranty.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Their mechanic put a new fan on, the one in the pic above, ran great for 15 miles. Then I heard a noise, so I pulled over just as the overheat warning came on. Looks like whatever that fan bolts to broke - it just flops around loose (with the motor off of course). Anyone know how serious this is? Dealer dropped me off a loaner truck and has a flatbed to take it back to the shop.

Damm shame, this is a really nice looking truck.

· Premium Member
667 Posts
Their mechanic put a new fan on, the one in the pic above, ran great for 15 miles. Then I heard a noise, so I pulled over just as the overheat warning came on. Looks like whatever that fan bolts to broke - it just flops around loose (with the motor off of course). Anyone know how serious this is? Dealer dropped me off a loaner truck and has a flatbed to take it back to the shop.

Damm shame, this is a really nice looking truck.
So this is the second fan you've had in a matter of 15 miles?

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is a new fan, the old one had the wire torn out of it a few blades chewed off. Not sure the fan is damaged this time, just whatever it connects to.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts