RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got the " service required' message on my 2013 RRS, for the oil change due, upon completion of the service the oil change manager tried several times to follow the sequence of
set the ignition to ON position
open hood
open driver door
fully depress both accelerator & brake for 10 secs
set ignition to OFF position
close hood
set the ignition to the ON position and check the message has been cleared

did this several times and the message comes up and turns off after a few second any thoughts please? Is this normal? this is really annoying

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
805 Posts
You need a gap tool or service reset tool - those supposed cheats do not work.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's a gap tool?
Ok update got a friend who has Snapon scan tool and hit this annoyance reset. Is there a cheap scam tool that I can purchase for future use. Now that the message is reset, how do I know that the mileage of the oil life is reset back to zero?

·
Registered
805 Posts
No - by a gap tool (programming computer for the car like the snap tool you mentioned ) or a reset tool or get a dealer to do it or get your friend with snap tool to do it for you.

Blackbox Solutions in Cyprus sell various electronic aids Welcome - BLACKBOX SOLUTIONS LTD

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
87 Posts
Sorry I already checked this out and the reviews are horrible, not wasting my $$ on a useless piece of equipmemt, but tks for the input
I have both icarsoft and gap tool. Icarsoft review might be terrible but it saved me a lot of times.

·
Registered
805 Posts
i have a Faultmate FCR - reads codes and tells you what they mean and you can clear them but cannot be used to change settings etc like Gap IID tools etc but is only a quarter of the price.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have a Faultmate FCR - reads codes and tells you what they mean and you can clear them but cannot be used to change settings etc like Gap IID tools etc but is only a quarter of the price.
I don't know much about this brand, my question is would it reset these codes? If it just tells me about the code it does not solve the problem...

·
Registered
805 Posts
You clearly do not under stand how these machines work - they do not fix problems they tell you where to look so YOU fix the problems - as I said the Faultmate FCR will clear codes and tell you what the fault is.

Faultmate is one of the major Gap tools specifically made for Land Rover - it is not a multi brand unit. They are coded to your VIN and enable you to diagnose issues in the vehicle via the OBDII port and the Can bus - they can be used to change parameters within the computers but they generally do not fix problems, they tell you where they are - you or your mechanic still has to fix the issue. Same as all of these type of systems.

The FCR version is a cut down version that reads the codes, displays the fault code number with a description of the issue, you can then reset that code. The FCR cannot change settings in the system like the Faultmate can - but then then Faultmate with mode of these test book type equipment (Gap etc) costs around $800 where the FCR is about $150.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You clearly do not under stand how these machines work - they do not fix problems they tell you where to look so YOU fix the problems - as I said the Faultmate FCR will clear codes and tell you what the fault is.

Faultmate is one of the major Gap tools specifically made for Land Rover - it is not a multi brand unit. They are coded to your VIN and enable you to diagnose issues in the vehicle via the OBDII port and the Can bus - they can be used to change parameters within the computers but they generally do not fix problems, they tell you where they are - you or your mechanic still has to fix the issue. Same as all of these type of systems.

The FCR version is a cut down version that reads the codes, displays the fault code number with a description of the issue, you can then reset that code. The FCR cannot change settings in the system like the Faultmate can - but then then Faultmate with mode of these test book type equipment (Gap etc) costs around $800 where the FCR is about $150.
I fully understand the function of these machines and agree with the fact that it will tell you the reason for the problem, however, you must fix the problem. What I do not appreciate is being held hostage by the manufacturer to be forced to go to the dealer and pay $700 for resetting my "oil life message" I have a 2019 Lincoln Navigator that allows you to reset the life of oil message once you have changed the oil. This is what I did with my RR, changed the oil period. Manufacturers and dealerships have capitalized on these issues and are racking millions of $$$ from unsuspecting customers who are thrown off due to a light message on your dash. That is what burns my rear more than anything else. I was told by a former LR head mechanic that he quit working at a LR dealership for being literally forced to perform totally unnecessary repairs just because the vehicle was there and they were bringing in more revenue to the service dept. That is totally unethical in my mind!!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Why would you have to pay $700 for a 10 minute job - go somewhere else. If you got a dealer to do it, the cost should be the min labour charge 1/2 hour and a test book use fee charge - normally about another 1/2 hour labour charge. Many independents charge nothing as a good will service hoping to get you to go back rather for real work at a later date.

I use one of these on my vehicle CAN-Mate SRT Single Vehicle - BLACKBOX SOLUTIONS LTD and it works well but I dont believe they make them for later RRS but send them a message and see what they have to offer.

Irrespective whether the Lincoln can clear the service indicator or not the relatity is that with your RRS you cannot - you need some sort of electronic device to clear it - some are cheap, some are expensive but the later do a whole lot more. If your dealer is charging $700 for this service ditch the dealer and go some where else - develop a relationship with an independent and they may even do it for free.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why would you have to pay $700 for a 10 minute job - go somewhere else. If you got a dealer to do it, the cost should be the min labour charge 1/2 hour and a test book use fee charge - normally about another 1/2 hour labour charge. Many independents charge nothing as a good will service hoping to get you to go back rather for real work at a later date.

I use one of these on my vehicle CAN-Mate SRT Single Vehicle - BLACKBOX SOLUTIONS LTD and it works well but I dont believe they make them for later RRS but send them a message and see what they have to offer.

Irrespective whether the Lincoln can clear the service indicator or not the relatity is that with your RRS you cannot - you need some sort of electronic device to clear it - some are cheap, some are expensive but the later do a whole lot more. If your dealer is charging $700 for this service ditch the dealer and go some where else - develop a relationship with an independent and they may even do it for free.
That is the going charge for our beloved "stealer", I do have a friend in the bodyshop business who did this with the Snapon scanner for free. Tks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts