1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Range Rover HSE Lux
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Team:

2013 Range Rover Sport, Gas, Supercharged. 123k miles

Appreciate any advice. I've been chasing suspension rattles and clunks and creaks on bumps for a couple months. Here is what I've replaced, that was worn out:

Front Right: Upper and Lower Control Arms
Front Left: Lower Control arm (didnt need to replace upper, was solid)
Both front sway bar drop links
Rear L and R upper control arms

I still have "clunking" going on similar to the sound when a control arm has gone, but as noted above I have replaced all the offending areas.

There is also a creaking as I drive slow and turn or go up on a curb.....like an old saloon door creaking and groaning like some other bushing is worn - but I cant find anything else visually wrong. I've used a big pry bar on everything I can see.

Any thoughts?

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
2009 Range Rover Sport S/C
54 Posts
I have 2 L320s, 2009. So this may not be directly attributable, but I just significantly reduced rattles on by 09 S/C by dealing with [according to by mechanic] a loose drive shaft heat shield. The shields can basically start to rust out and then start rattling over bumps and such... mine got quite bad. Larger washers and the rattles are nearly gone... time for me to address some of the other items you mentioned above!

¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
2010 Range Rover HSE Lux
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 2 L320s, 2009. So this may not be directly attributable, but I just significantly reduced rattles on by 09 S/C by dealing with [according to by mechanic] a loose drive shaft heat shield. The shields can basically start to rust out and then start rattling over bumps and such... mine got quite bad. Larger washers and the rattles are nearly gone... time for me to address some of the other items you mentioned above!

¯\(ツ)
Interesting. I will certainly look at that along the way. Though you may be correct, these thuds seem really "deep" sounding almost exactly like control arms but again Ive replaced them all. I have had a bunch of these, probably 10 or so and I cant figure out where this might be coming from. Will report back on the heat shield for certain!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Front sway bar bushings. Also, if you have the active bars it could be the bar itself. They are known to make a racket under these things.

·
Registered
2010 Range Rover HSE Lux
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Front sway bar bushings. Also, if you have the active bars it could be the bar itself. They are known to make a racket under these things.
Yes! I was just reading (well, watching really, here) about the sway bar bushings. I actually didn't even think about these. And then an active sway bar, I've never worked on this either..... My gut is telling me this is the issue. Will report back once I have closure.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes! I was just reading (well, watching really, here) about the sway bar bushings. I actually didn't even think about these. And then an active sway bar, I've never worked on this either..... My gut is telling me this is the issue. Will report back once I have closure.
Yup! Definitely check it out. Also maybe helpful that if you raise the truck to off road height, it allows the sway bar to completely "disconnect" and allows the wheels to move independent of each other side to side similar to the way a manual end link quick disconnect works. Once you do this, take a big screw driver or pry bar and jam it in between the bar itself and the subframe it mounts to and you will probably see the bar move all over the place. Definitely put it in off road height as it relieves the stress that would prevent you from seeing how bad the bushings might be. Good luck with it man!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts