RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm still sporting my 20" factory rims and original Michelin tires that holding up through 15k and already pretty worn.
Moving the car from summer climate into 4 season one. Debating if I should

1) just replace my tires on 20" to all season (what's better tire now-days?)
2) buy a set of 19" with all season with a set of tires (what would be better choice tires/rims?)

Appreciate an input.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hi, I'm still sporting my 20" factory rims and original Michelin tires that holding up through 15k and already pretty worn.
Moving the car from summer climate into 4 season one. Debating if I should

1) just replace my tires on 20" to all season (what's better tire now-days?)
2) buy a set of 19" with all season with a set of tires (what would be better choice tires/rims?)

Appreciate an input.
My independent told me I can’t even downsize to some models of aftermarket 20” let alone 19” because of your ginormous calipers. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

19’s are less choice across the board for all types of tires. 20’s constantly have new styles being introduced each year. You’ll be able to run more than Cooper Zeons, lol.

Go 275/55R20 if you can, or higher if you have a shop that can raise the truck to a new “normal”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go 275/55R20 if you can, or higher if you have a shop that can raise the truck to a new “normal”.
After doing searching for an hour now...
I am actually gunning for BF Goodrich LT275/55R20 K02 at the moment...unless something changes...
Looks like I should not have a problem putting them on the stock of mine '12 SC

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
453 Posts
Hi. Insyalling to high of a tire may result in rubbing when turned all the way but I do not know if 55 will cause this or not.
Next tire change I will move away from 40 and leaning toward 45/50, 55 is a bit too much in personal opinion.
Things to know: you with throw off yoi speed reading.
19" rims will fit over Brembo brakes as spare is 19", problem is finding nice 19" rims with spokes that will clear side of a caliper.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi. Insyalling to high of a tire may result in rubbing when turned all the way but I do not know if 55 will cause this or not.
Next tire change I will move away from 40 and leaning toward 45/50, 55 is a bit too much in personal opinion.
Things to know: you with throw off yoi speed reading.
19" rims will fit over Brembo brakes as spare is 19", problem is finding nice 19" rims with spokes that will clear side of a caliper.
I have dug through this forum and people who put 55 on, seem to be confirming that there's no rubbing.
Read about the speed-o-metor may be a bit off at higher speeds too..
Overall it seems to be a pretty good look and fit based on what I have observed. Just hope it wont effect the ride on highway a lot...but people did not seem to complain too much...

Those are pictures from the people on this forum..

Mine should look even better, because body is more boxier ha ha

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have dug through this forum and people who put 55 on, seem to be confirming that there's no rubbing.
Read about the speed-o-metor may be a bit off at higher speeds too..
Overall it seems to be a pretty good look and fit based on what I have observed. Just hope it wont effect the ride on highway a lot...but people did not seem to complain too much...

Those are pictures from the people on this forum..
View attachment 287779
View attachment 287782
Mine should look even better, because body is more boxier ha ha
So... question:

If a catastrophic suspension fault occurs (the kind that has you down on all 4 bump stops) will you even be able to SLOWLY drive it anywhere with 275/55’s?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never happened before, so can't answer that ;) What suspension fault and how 275/55s would be different from 275/40s?

·
Registered
453 Posts
The point presented is, In the event if suspension completely depleats and car will be on the bump-stops, it is designed to give you ability to continue moving to get to safety. There is a possibility that with oversized tires continue moving, turning etc may not be possible. Allthough we do not know exactly what is the trashold of that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for clarification. I figured it's something about it..
Should really get an input of the people who run them. Anyone?
However, how would they know as it sounds like a major failure scenario.
Seems like 40 to 55 should not be such a drastic change, but it's just a guess.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The point presented is, In the event if suspension completely depleats and car will be on the bump-stops, it is designed to give you ability to continue moving to get to safety. There is a possibility that with oversized tires continue moving, turning etc may not be possible. Allthough we do not know exactly what is the trashold of that.
Right. The wheel wells are contoured to accommodate the current tires disappearing about an inch past the body metal. The concern is with either a wider or taller tire it may not he enough to accommodate it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right. The wheel wells are contoured to accommodate the current tires disappearing about an inch past the body metal. The concern is with either a wider or taller tire it may not he enough to accommodate it.

Yes, I am really reconsidering to 285/50 R20s due to all this... plus found more posts on rubbing issue..

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking to go with 275/50/20 next tire change.
If you go with that as well, whenever you get a chance, can you please drop the truck to access height and with wheels all the way L and R see how much space to the liner, fender lip
Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I was thinking to go with 275/50/20 next tire change.
If you go with that as well, whenever you get a chance, can you please drop the truck to access height and with wheels all the way L and R see how much space to the liner, fender lip
Thanks.
I am really on the fence with all the non-standard sizes at the moment.
I might just end up with 275/45 after all or even /40. I looked under and it's just pushing it super close. I can't believe /55 is not rubbing anywhere on bumps and turns..
Do you think I need to do an alignment after I put on new tires? It seems to be even wear now.

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover Sport Red Limitied Edition
39 Posts
Hi, I am in Edmonton, Alberta Canada where we only have like 5 months of summer. (dont cry for me)
I have run 20" winter tires for the last 4 years straight. I drive the rover 1/2 and 1/2 with my SL63 AMG in the summer.
The new winter tyres just don;t wear out in the summer like they use to.
Concerning 20" to 19", I wish I would have gone with 19" for the winters and the size that rover recommends to give me a better softer ride.
Our roads are **** and I would say having more sidewall would produce a better ride.
I have no experience in this, but do think it to be true.
I drive the **** out of my Rover SC and don't have a problem with winters on at any time, Winter or summer.
If your going to see snow, please consider winters for sure and think about the spare rims in 19" to mount them on.
Trev

Reactions: hhrp

·
Registered
453 Posts
I am really on the fence with all the non-standard sizes at the moment.
I might just end up with 275/45 after all or even /40. I looked under and it's just pushing it super close. I can't believe /55 is not rubbing anywhere on bumps and turns..
Do you think I need to do an alignment after I put on new tires? It seems to be even wear now.
I dont think that alignment is required with tire change but if you do not remember when it was done last time or car is new to you, suspension check-up followed by allignment would probably make sense.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
7 Posts
Here in North Idaho some Porsche SUV's downsize to 18 inch and put dedicated Blizzak's on. But a good rule of thumb is to keep a tire with the same circumference as OEM to retain the design performance and speedometer/transmission calibration. Depending on the are you are moving to you can either go with the Continental DWS all year (remembering that the RR is awesome in winter performance) or if you want to go with a dedicated snow tire, you can't beat the Blizzak!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thumbs up for Continental DWS, have them. And dedicated winter tires too but not blizzaks

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
16 Posts
I had the Cooper 275/55R20's on my 2012 RRSSC and they did rub some. Ruined a tire running over some road junk. Put on my stock spare and a host of warning lights came on. Called my local mechanic and he advised not driving any more than necessary. I checked to see if I could fit a 275/55R20 as a spare - no go. I was heading out of town for a long road trip so I went back to stock 275/40R20's in the Nokian WR G3 All-Weather. I highly recommend and advised my daughter to put some on her 2003 RR. Great tires for Colorado driving. I'm recently retired from Cooper Tire but they don't have a tire of this type yet.

2019-07-08 14.16.23-1-3.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the input. As mentioned, after digging info for couple days - regardless of really wanting a beefer/cool looking tire...in order to avoid headaches...I decided to go with 275/40R20 - same as OEM, ordered Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Plus 275 /40 R20 106Y XL BSW ($204 per tire).

I think that I will be buying separate 19" rims with winter tire if upstate winter will fight this all season ones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts