RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I was looking at picking up a 2012 Range Rover Sport HSE lux model. Has approx 87,000 kms on it and want to know what issues I should be looking out for. I heard about the timing chain tension issue, and the air suspension pump issue. BUT, I've also heard that the timing chain issue was more for the supercharge model. Any truth to that? Anyone else have things they can share that might help make decisions easier?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would just ensure you get a pre purchase inspection from a reputable shop that knows these cars that can tell if the car is exhibiting any symptoms of the timing chain guide issue. The supercharged model does indeed suffer more from my understanding, and furthermore in warmer climates. Also, the issue is VIN-specific. Check if the one you are looking at falls within range. If it is a very late model '12 -- it might have already been addressed from the factory. It's ~$5k+ to get fixed from a normal shop from what people keep saying. I literally contacted/looked at least 15 vehicles before settling on mine, all supercharged, all pre '12, and not a single one had the guides replaced. All of them had between 25,000 miles and 100,000 miles. Most had above 75,000 miles. The ones I looked at, none made crazy noises that were obvious to me. The PPI I had on mine did not bring it up, but it had only 36,000 miles on it when I bought it (has 45k now). So YMMV. I will likely be replacing mine anyway just for piece of mind. I actually started another thread on it because given my experience and what I found in the buying process -- I really wonder what the fail rate is, and if it is one of those things you need to address early, or you can wait until it is making -VERY- obvious symptoms before changing.Expensive items to consider:- Brakes -- every 30k front and rear (my experience owning two of these vehicles, one supercharged, one not).- Tires -- low profile tires for these vehicles are decently expensive and last 15-20k in my experience. Figure about $1k.- Air suspension (~up to $1200/side with VDS -- There are aftermarket options but most say stick to OEM). Fronts usually fail, rears don't (according to my indie). Consider fronts to be wear items that you should replace every 5-7 years or 50k miles and you will never have an unexpected bill IMO.- Water pump. Not sure but I'd imagine pricey. They leak after a while.- Doesn't relate to you -- but I'll probably be doing supercharger nose bearing at some point which is expensive (~$2k?).- Front hydro bushings (front control arm bushings). Every 50k or so, or when they start having slop/make noise. Might just replace control arms at same time to get new ball joints. Not entirely sure here -- will ask indie on Friday when my vehicle goes there.- I paid $800 for my 45k service -- not too bad. Got quoted $165 for an alignment at my dealer (not indie -- but probably similar if I'd guess).

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Man someone needs to fix this forum so we can insert line breaks.
Dude give it a rest. It a known issues and we have had issues for a week thanks to a fouled up server migration. Of course if you wandered out side of the tech forums you would see a notice in general chatter about issues and who to send a PM to. Of course if you think you can do better by all means send "ADMIN" a PM with your vast knowledge instead of complaining in the tech section repeatedly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dude give it a rest. It a known issues and we have had issues for a week thanks to a fouled up server migration. Of course if you wandered out side of the tech forums you would see a notice in general chatter about issues and who to send a PM to. Of course if you think you can do better by all means send "ADMIN" a PM with your vast knowledge instead of complaining in the tech section repeatedly.
Re-read what I wrote and it came off pretty badly. Apologies.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's awesome information to consider. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update to this. I just purchased my 2012 Range Rover Sport GT edition. Found one in my area in pristine condition (Fuji white with black leather interior) and only 36,000 kms on it! Picking up next week. VERY EXCITED!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi ... I have a 2012 Range Rover HSE LUX. I’m hearing the same noise when idling. I’ve been hearing it for a while now. I’ve been to several mechanics to check it out. No luck on concrete advice. Land Rover said the need to take out the engine to diagnose the noise & it will cost $1500 just to take the engine out plus parts & labor to fix it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts