RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2012 RRS supercharged with a broken piston. Took the body off, removed engine and transmission. Engine is toast. Put battery back on and tried to raise the driver's window. No go. When I press the start button (no foot on brake) nothing happens. If I try to lock with remote I get double honk. Anybody know what I need to do to get the window to raise? Radio works, gives me current mileage display on dash.

Secondly, does anybody KNOW the actual difference between a non-supercharged engine and a supercharged engine besides the obvious. Need to get another, may convert a non-supercharged Jag engine if its only cams and supercharger and sump bits need swapping.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
326 Posts
Wow, is that a thread on the block behind broken sleeve? Are sleeves really screwed in to the block?
Interesting... I thought common practice is to mold/form the block around preset sleeves.
As far as your question, you can look up LRDirect website, there is a parts list, if, lets say non supercharged short block P/N is identical to SC one then perhaps you can buy non SC engine and carry over all the goodies, new timing kit with latest version of tensioner, water pump and set of gaskets are highly advised - but you probably know that already since you managed to get this far.
I would just open up part lists on LRDirect and compare part number for NA vs part number for SC
To see what is different.
Good luck.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
775 Posts
I know of 2 major differences between the SC and NA - Pistons and camshafts.

I am sure there are a few others but those 2 mean it wont be a straight forward swap.

·
Registered
326 Posts
yeah, if ghur is right, means more work but existing camshafts can be carried over if not worn, set of new pistons will add to up to the bill but doing the perfect job, new pistons, new rings and new piston rod bearings would be a great idea anyway if planning to keep the truck. If block itself is identical - NA 5.0 engine can be bought cheap, well, relatively speaking.
Very interesting project. Sadly my home does not have enough height in the garage to pull anything like that otherwise I'd be tempted to buy RRS with failed engine just to see if I can do this.
[B]Kansanbrit[/B], would you consider buying a crashed RRS from Copart with unrepairable title - you don't care if it is deemed unrepairable, unrestorable by insurance company? in many instances you could have Copart inspector "fire it up" and send you a video of engine running, it would probably be dirt cheap, on par with used engine price, and you can pick SC one so no worries about comparability. I mean rip the engine out, throw new timing kit, new valve cover gaskets and off you go, take anything else you want - transmission, transfer case, differentials, axel-drive shafts, air compressor, superchager, I mean anything you want, cluster, inerior...
keep what you want, sell the rest on Ebay - make some money back.

You cant buy vehicles on Copart and private party but I can recommend someone who can buy it for you and arrange delivery to your door step. It seems like a big deal but not dealing with the internals of the engine and possible differences with NA may be worth it and you can make a lot money back selling off parts that you do not need.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Here you go: this is sold by Insurance company to highest bidder, no reserve, no gimmichks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, is that a thread on the block behind broken sleeve? Are sleeves really screwed in to the block?
Interesting... I thought common practice is to mold/form the block around preset sleeves.
As far as your question, you can look up LRDirect website, there is a parts list, if, lets say non supercharged short block P/N is identical to SC one then perhaps you can buy non SC engine and carry over all the goodies, new timing kit with latest version of tensioner, water pump and set of gaskets are highly advised - but you probably know that already since you managed to get this far.
I would just open up part lists on LRDirect and compare part number for NA vs part number for SC
To see what is different.
Good luck.
Yes, the water jacket is broken. Sleeves are usually friction fit in blocks. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know of 2 major differences between the SC and NA - Pistons and camshafts.

I am sure there are a few others but those 2 mean it wont be a straight forward swap.
Everything I am reading says the cams are the same. Pistons are the only real difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[B]Kansanbrit[/B], would you consider buying a crashed RRS from Copart with unrepairable title - you don't care if it is deemed unrepairable, unrestorable by insurance company? in many instances you could have Copart inspector "fire it up" and send you a video of engine running, it would probably be dirt cheap, on par with used engine price, and you can pick SC one so no worries about comparability. I mean rip the engine out, throw new timing kit, new valve cover gaskets and off you go, take anything else you want - transmission, transfer case, differentials, axel-drive shafts, air compressor, superchager, I mean anything you want, cluster, inerior...
keep what you want, sell the rest on Ebay - make some money back.

You cant buy vehicles on Copart and private party but I can recommend someone who can buy it for you and arrange delivery to your door step. It seems like a big deal but not dealing with the internals of the engine and possible differences with NA may be worth it and you can make a lot money back selling off parts that you do not need.
Yes, I have thought about Copart. I already part Jags out. Actually a private party can buy salvage vehicles in most states from Copart. i.e. no broker needed. I have found a good low mileage used Jag engine for $6K. Probably going that way. Sump components are the only difference. I can sell crank, head and supercharger from mine so should get $2K back eventually. Thanks.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
775 Posts
Everything I am reading says the cams are the same. Pistons are the only real difference.
The NA engine uses CPA (Camshaft Profile Switching) on the intake cam which definitely is different to the SC. The exhaust cams do appear to be the same so I guess they can be used in either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The NA engine uses CPA (Camshaft Profile Switching) on the intake cam which definitely is different to the SC. The exhaust cams do appear to be the same so I guess they can be used in either.
Good point, thanks. Although I checked the Jaguar Palm Beach website and the 2012 XF lists the same cams for the base and supercharged models so a little confused. Anyway I will just look for a good SC unit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts