RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had success putting in their own full size spare? Anything I should know?

I've located an exact matching 255/50R20 wheel and tire make/model with comparable tread remaining. Currently in the spare compartment is the factory 19" steelie whose metrics are full diameter, but only 6.5" wide. I want to make sure there are no weird fitment issues or trimming required.

Also... TPMS... does the RR expect a TPMS sensor in the spare? If it's there, will it recognize which one is not mounted on any of the hubs?

·
Registered
2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
28 Posts
Anyone had success putting in their own full size spare? Anything I should know?

I've located an exact matching 255/50R20 wheel and tire make/model with comparable tread remaining. Currently in the spare compartment is the factory 19" steelie whose metrics are full diameter, but only 6.5" wide. I want to make sure there are no weird fitment issues or trimming required.

Also... TPMS... does the RR expect a TPMS sensor in the spare? If it's there, will it recognize which one is not mounted on any of the hubs?
I did this recently when I installed new tires in the 265/50R20 size. I bought a matching spare wheel on eBay and had the new tire mounted. The old steel spare didn't have TPMS so they just put a normal valve stem in the full size spare. I'll probably rotate it in with the other 4 tires regularly, so I intend to buy another TPMS and have that installed when the time comes. As far as fitting it in the spare compartment, all I had to do was remove the two foam pieces below the old spare to allow for the full depth of the compartment to be used.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
277 Posts

On a MY10-12 it is a CCF option to disable/enable the spare TPMS. Normally it does expect one and will gripe if pressure is low but not if the spare is missing.

I believe your spare cannot be larger than 31.5 inches around and/or 11 inches wide. I have a 31x11 spare which fits. Of course wheel offset and the compressor location could impact what spares will fit. If you've got a tool tray with your small spare you'll need to remove that. Also if you can get the tire straps from a MY03-06 that makes pulling the spare out really easy.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
181 Posts
+1 on the tire strap.Mine didn't have one when I purchased the truck. All it took was one time removing the full spare and it was off to purchase the tire lifting strap. Night and day.

Reactions: datafoo
1 - 4 of 4 Posts