RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on the feeder road of the freeway coming back home from an appointment when the vehicle began to surge and lose power. I had no idea what was happening since the loss of power was random. So, I continued to the nearest red light (~ 1.3 miles) where I stopped. At that point, I was approximately 1 mile away from my home. However, in the interest of not knowing the problem, I decided to be safe and call for a tow truck. My family and I were leaving for a vacation on the following Monday, so I had the vehicle towed to my home and waited until I returned to have it towed to the dealership. That was over a month ago and I just found out a couple of days ago that my extended warranty had rejected the required repairs which were diagnosed as a blown head gasket.

I was originally told that the problem was a leaking coolant pump and that the extended warranty would cover the cost. However, when the extended warranty carrier asked that the head gasket be checked out, it was discovered that a head gasket had also been blown. The reasoning for not providing any coverage, I was told, was that I had been negligent and caused the engine to overheat. This I do not understand. First, since the vehicle had received a multipoint inspection previous to only 844 miles being driven, why wouldn’t any issue with a coolant pump been discovered at that time. Secondly, the thought that I was negligent in driving the vehicle makes no sense to me since I had no knowledge (no warning lights on the dash were evident) that I was causing any damage and simply got to a safe stopping point. The drive was approximately 1.4 miles and took Bottom line, I am absolutely horrified that I paid ~ $90K for a vehicle in addition to the extended warranty and are now being told that the warranty doesn’t cover the repairs that are necessary because the head gasket needs to be replaced before the coolant pump can be replaced. I have done a bit of research in the past few days and discovered that this type of catastrophic occurrence caused by a leaking coolant pump is prevalent in this particular engine. So, I am reaching out to others with the same type of vehicle to see of this can be confirmed. I need all of the horse power that can be garnered in order to make a stronger case to the extended warranty carrier.

Thank you very much for your response.
Bewildered RedHog

·
Registered
327 Posts
I recently had a water pump replaced under extended warranty at 60K miles - it started to sound like a bag of nails running - I posted it somewhere. Fortunately for me the engine never overheated.

Did you have any indication from the temperature gauge?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Answer is no. The gauge never showed anything. According to an independent mechanic that I consulted, this is typical for this Rover engine?

·
Registered
378 Posts
The 5.0 is great performer but once the temp gauge heads towards the red, bad things happen very quickly.

Water pump leaks and multiple plastic resin water channels which split overt time causing leaks and failure are becoming pretty common in TX heat.

Surprisingly, although a Jaguar XF 5.0 is pretty much the same setup, they don't seem to suffer quite so badly.

Most after market warranty companies are really more like mechanical breakdown insurance policy sellers than manufacturer warranties.

Like most insurance companies, you pay a premium and they accept a risk (in this case, against your use of the vehicle).

If you are absolutely certain that the temp gauge did not indicate an overheat.

If you are absolutely certain that the CEL (check engine light) didn't come on and alert you to any fault at the point you decided to call for the tow truck you should stick to your guns and insist that the "warranty" company provide the cover you paid for.

The dealer can download stored codes and determine whether there were certain faults, sensors or warnings logged.

There are two temperature sensors on the 5.0. One on the thermostat housing, one in the rear water channel connected between the heads. Either one failing will trigger a CEL and be logged.

Cars nearing 100,000 miles with scant service records being bought from used dealer lots are starting to pop up with overheating issues and so my best guess is that some "warranty" companies are beginning to realize this may be a pretty substantial liability, going forward.

My local dealer had four such vehicles in May :(

Several of those with "warranties" paid for a partial tear-down and then rejected the claim, leaving the owner with a torn-down static display.

Sorry for your situation.

Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow, this is uncanny... I have a duplicate issue yet I was given three different repairs, with out leaving the dealer.

I was told that the low coolant level was do to a leak at the water pump, which I approved. The next day I was told it was a Pipe, leading from the Back of the pump, under the Intake to cool the rear components, again I agreed. Next I was called saying that the engine was still not holding pressure and the "Throttle Body" cooling device was in the end the issue. Needless to say was the call that I needed a new engine. They feel there is a leak, verified by finding exhaust gasses inside the engine Expansion Tank. My options have been replace the engine or trade the car in broken and get $4-$5K for it! It's a dealer maintained 2012 Range Rover Sport HSE (Not supper-charged). They claim I owe them close to $2k for the work done so far and they refuse to do any further tear down.

Adding Insult-2-Injury I learned, from the Only ""Certified Tech" they had was him and he has been out of there for several months. I assume the reason they a refusing to diagnose to the FAILED component is due to the fact that they have no CERTIFIED Land Rover Technician. I looked at the Procedures and it is certainly a "A" class repair with labor manuals est 34.5 hours!

It appears a "Salvage Engine" is my only choice from a financial prospective.

Any and All feedback will be appreciated,

Todd Patterson
[email protected]
716-998-0020

1 - 5 of 5 Posts