RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am looking into getting my first Range Rover, always been dream to have one. I am seeing two (seemly good options)

1. 2012 FS HSE LUX + Lux Silver Pck 88k miles. Two owners full service history.
2. 2009 FS Autobiography - Two owners full service history

Anyone care to share their opinion on which to buy. I like both colors etc. seems like less miles is better, but maybe newer wins out...unless the autobiography has really that much more to offer?

Thought appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
689 Posts
My understanding is the 2007 thru 2009 were the more reliable years.
I just bought an 08 and really like it. Get lots of comments on it. Even caught a guy with a 2017 RR checking it out the other day.

Sent from my iPhone X

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yeah been reading more seams a problem with timing chain tensions on 2012 would maybe make it better to go for 2009...

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
405 Posts
If you're able to drive both cars, as close as back to back as possible, the 2012 will feel the far more "sprightly" of the two.

The 2009's motor is pretty much bulletproof and you could easily expect another 100,000 miles trouble free use, with good maintenance. The 2009 L322 is a truly great car.

The 5.0 in the 2012 doesn't have quite the same reputation for longevity.

To an uneducated eye, the 2009 and 2012 cars will look very similar on the outside.

However, once you've owned one for a short while, the external differences between the two will become ever more obvious. Namely, the front and rear lights are different.

On the inside, the 2010-2012 dash has a more modern look but the rest of the interior, apart from the seats, is pretty much just a light do-over from the 2009MY, along with some additional airbags.

I advise driving both before deciding. You'll definitely be surprised in how different they feel.

Rob

·
Registered
335 Posts
Good advice from anvilrob. Drive both. In a previous post I noted that my 5.0L RR is so easy to drive on long roads trips, and gets better mileage than my previous 4.4L. Call me a geek but I love that digital display - it really makes the vehicle, and I prefer the LED lights. If the timing chain tensioners have been upgraded you'll be golden with the 2012. But it might all come down to simply color and trim if you're like me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am going to ask that exact question right now on the 2012. Any idea on the cost of such an upgrade -sounds like something that would be done when the time chain gets changed....?

·
Registered
8 Posts
sowr: No concern if signs of timing chain issues on your 2010? I just sent the TSB to the dealer with the car to ask them about their thoughts on any related work that has been or should be performed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What did you decide on? I own a 2010 Sport HSE LUX. luv it BALI BLUE with Stormy rims. i can keep going on going you can do lots of mods on this cars.
Autobiography is very nice top of line tough decision to make. keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Read that whole thread -excellent one. I settled on the 2009, get all excited looked for flights to go and pick it up, but I now think it sold -even though I thought I had "reserved it", still waiting on a response from dealer so not looking good.

The 2012 has 85k and I spoke with the sales guy (who has been excellent) even sent him the TSB which he passed onto to service he said they only do that work if they here the "ticking" noise, so that would be a timing chain gamble. Their quote from 5-8k to do that work.

I think I am scared off of the 2010 later models, unless I buy one with a warranty, similar to the someone who posted on the forums about buying one thru Carmax.

Then I also spoke to our recommended Bay area independent shop "Roverland" and they said they do not do timing chain replacement -since they have seen people have them done spent 5-8k and still had issues after all that work. They said for sure the 2009 has a more reliable engine.

I will update as I have news. Loving this forums excellent source of info.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Another thing that just hit me - if you do your own oil changes; 5.0L is easier thanks to a fitted pipe which allows suction from above - no more skid plate removal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got the 2009 SC Autobiography, -will post a pic soon. Drove back to the Bay Area from LA, what a vehicle it was an awesome drive.

So far so good -love it!

·
Registered
437 Posts
sowr: No concern if signs of timing chain issues on your 2010? I just sent the TSB to the dealer with the car to ask them about their thoughts on any related work that has been or should be performed.
btw can you post a copy of the TSB here? id like to see it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
IMG_5935.JPG IMG_5937.JPG IMG_5936.JPG IMG_5938.JPG IMG_5939.JPG

Finally got around to posting the pictures of the new rig. So far running well. Anyone help identifying these wheels? I have not seen them on anything else? Were these standard on 2009 auto biography. The spare is full size but its look like the regular super charged wheel.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Those look like 22" Stormer wheels with black inlays. Those wouldn't be stock on the '09 Autobiography. The spare tire you have in the trunk would be indicative of the stock rims that originally came with your vehicle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That is a beautiful RR! Congratulations!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts