RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and in the process of thinking about purchasing a 2011 Sport. 55k miles on it for $25k Car is extremely clean. I am very interested in this car, but slightly concerned about potential maintenance costs ahead of me. I am fairly mechanical and can fix a decent amount on my own, but trying to get a gauge as to what kind of project I am getting into. I drive 19k miles a year for work and need a reliable car. I have driven this car and loved it, but don't want something that is going to break down on me every other month. I don't mind putting some money into it each year, but not looking to have it sit on a tow truck twice a year. Lastly, I'm not looking to spend more than $3k a year in maintenance work. What typically fails on these cares with this type of mileage? Would I be safe for two years? what is the best year for these sport models?

Appreciate any help you can provide as I am new to these cars.

Thanks,
Tyler

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Are you getting all of the maintenance records? If yes, you will have it's full history and very little to worry about.

If not it'll be crap shoot. The end of run years of the L320's are are considered to be very reliable

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
106 Posts
Our 2011 has proven to be pretty reliable for our first 2 years of ownership. Here are a few of the top issues to consider:

1 - timing chain tensioners are known to prematurely wear out and need replacement. I've seen quotes ranging from $3k to $6k to repair. FYI this issue was addressed by Land Rover for the 2012-13 models. There are more and more folks successfully doing this repair themselves.

2 - Suspension bushings are known to wear out and begin to make creaking noises

3 - The electric fan clutch is a known failure item that begins to make a rhythmic ticking noise. The fan runs around $500.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our 2011 has proven to be pretty reliable for our first 2 years of ownership. Here are a few of the top issues to consider:

1 - timing chain tensioners are known to prematurely wear out and need replacement. I've seen quotes ranging from $3k to $6k to repair. FYI this issue was addressed by Land Rover for the 2012-13 models. There are more and more folks successfully doing this repair themselves.

2 - Suspension bushings are known to wear out and begin to make creaking noises

3 - The electric fan clutch is a known failure item that begins to make a rhythmic ticking noise. The fan runs around $500.
This is exactly what I have experienced. I also had SC coupler replaced with timing chain tensioners.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Greetings! I have a 2011 RRS LUX for 2 years. It had 72k when I got it. I did lower control arms, sway bar bushing, front rotors and all pads (aftermarket) @85k under $600. I change oil 5k mobile 1 walmart and oil filter every 10k ac delco filter amazon. Spark plugs, cheap washable air filter amazon. Diff and transfer case [email protected] 100k. that Plastic coolant tube that goes under intake cracked I changed it and water pump aftermarket 102k less than $200. I did all the work myself. I also have an Gap IID that has paid for itself twice over, and fun to play with:dance:. I haven't had any issues with the timing tensioners , transmission, air suspension so far. Few other little knick knacks that you get with all cars, marker lights etc... Every now and then I like to hear those V8 horses talk. I did a 1k round trip, a month ago, 90-95 mph sweet cruising. I'm at 117k. Hopefully my engine and transmission hold up, I think I can manage the rest. I'm shooting for 4-500k. She runs like a champ. Also I heard the cleaner it is the better it runs. This forum is a money saving RRS bible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts