RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have a 2011 Range Rover Sport TDV6 and never had any issues with it at all.
Just got through a season of cold weather and had to replace the battery due to being flat. Ran good after that.

However I started it a few weeks ago and it came up “check charge rate” I checked it and was only 12.4v.
I replaced the alternator due to not charging and then checked and was fine now charging with 14.4v

Took it for a good drive 2hrs each way and on way home it came up check charge rate again then it went off in about 1 min.
Kept driving towards home and it came on a few more times on and off.

Now a bit of more info while driving I could hear a click sounding like it was coming from glove box area and then it would send a noise through the stereo like a feedback spike. It then came up with check trans (but drove fine all gears) and also check charge rate.

I got home checked charge rate (no warning light on dash) and was charging fine.
Now my drama is while I’m driving it randomly comes up with this check charge rate but goes away (usually when trying to stop to check charge rate)

So what I want to know is
A) anyone had this happen to them or what can I do to check and try fix it.

B) can a alternator that’s faulty do this like charge then not charge then charge again

C) what feeds or turns alternator on and off

·
Registered
789 Posts
C) what feeds or turns alternator on and off

The voltage regulator is inside the alternator.

B) Seems it would be quite the coincidence for both alternators to have the same problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone know where I can get a electric wiring diagram of the alternator at all for 2011 TDV6 sport

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok bit of a update so tonight it was idling in driveway and it came up check charge rate while sitting there checked it and was 12.46v.
Gave it a rev and stayed there waited few minutes and tried again and it started going up 12.6,12,8,13.3,13.6,14.0 then let idle again and watched it drop voltage down to 12.4v where it came up again check charge rate. Tried rev again and didn’t go up. Let sit then light went out again and was charging. Thinking maybe the alternator is bad? Or what controls the charge rate ? I checked continuity from positive terminal lead to the battery control module and was fine it had continuity so does this mean it’s fine? Can it fail even if it tests fine ??? Or does anything else control the charge rate ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone able to help out at all or even a wiring diagram for 2011 RRS TDV6 alternator circuit ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny you say that Rayounne, I actually removed that braided earth strap under the inner guard to make more room for the alternator to come out BUT I did refit it so might just check it and make sure its good earth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts