Range Rovers Forum banner

2011 sport supercharged roof spoiler

18K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  garrycol 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So I'm driving my 45k mile Cpo range last week down freeway when all the sudden my rear spoiler flies off. Backup camera starts swinging by the wire and I can see it flailing in the wind in rear view. I knew this was going to be more maintenance than normal but body parts just flying off?

Anyway called dealer they said they don't cover body parts under Cpo so where do I get this part from now and what should I order. I can put it on and paint it if need be. Im in Ohio

#8 ·
No the CPO shouldn't cover it. Without any info on how long you've owned it, what you have done to it and how you care for it the forum cant give you an answer.

This isn't a one time thing as others have had this happen. Lots of variables can contribute to how or why it happened. If its been run thru car washes that the manual clearly states not to do as loosening of exterior panels can happen then its not a warranty issue its negligence. If there was ice or snow build up on roof and the gate was opened causing foreign matter to drop and cause a binding effect that loosened the panel then its owner responsibility.

If you can prove that it was a manufacturing defect that caused the issue with no owner fault for it becoming detached then they will cover it under an extended factory warranty.

#12 ·
the painted and non painted portion is one piece of plastic, so it's hard to separate unless the top is loose. I would give it a tug and shake and see if the pieces separate or the top part is loose. I think mine was cracked inside from pressure from an automatic car wash place and decided to fly off at high speeds on the highway

#17 ·
Yep, see https://imgur.com/a/12jIP81.$1400 parts/labor/paint. I was planning on doing front control arms and front left air strut this week, so add that to the tab :) Going to ask the indie how much longer I can safely get away without doing timing chain guide rails (45k on my early '11 L320 SC). It being supercharged and spending most of it's life in a warm climate means I need to do them as soon as slight noise is evident. If no noise pops up at all by fall, I will just do them anyway.

Attachments

#21 ·
It is 2 different pieces. That is the most common issue in the nutshell. The upper cover separates from the main housing. There have also been instances where car wash rollers have weakened the mounting studs from the housing and the entire housing comes free leaving the brake light wiring hanging.

I doubt there are schematics or a break down. The spoiler is a single part number and only available as a complete assembly.

#22 ·
If you need to remove the whole spoiler:
There are three 10mm nuts that need to be removed when the entire tailgate is open (look up - you'll see them)
Then there are two torx bolts that need to be removed when just the window hatch is open. (on either side)
Unplug the wiring and windscreen washing hose and you can investigate this spoiler separation further.
Best of luck!

#23 ·
Had this same thing happen 6 months ago. Dealer admitted that this is a KNOWN problem. I had to go to LRNA and COMPLAIN.......they finally covered *most* of the replacement, etc. I think in the end it cost me like $100 instead of the $2200 the dealer was quoting.

#26 ·
Had this same thing happen 6 months ago. Dealer admitted that this is a KNOWN problem. I had to go to LRNA and COMPLAIN.......they finally covered most of the replacement, etc. I think in the end it cost me like $100 instead of the $2200 the dealer was quoting.
Can I ask what dealer admitted this was a known issue please? I'm in the middle of a nightmare with JLR after mine flew off on the freeway. JLR claim they have never heard of this issue so I'm gathering as much evidence as I can to call them out on it.

Any info would be much appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.