RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
Well, while I was at work out of state, the missus found a 2011 one owner SC, 132k miles, for "$9000 FIRM". Was at a title loan place of all places.... Football player got it brand new for his GF, then they split, then she got broke. Title place ended up repo'ing it after she fell behind. They took it to LR dealer for an estimate on repairs, and to get two new fobs and a battery ($2500!!). The estimate was for FIFTEEN THOUSAND, and that was before they hooked up to it!
Front was on the bumpstops, no biggie there.
1 owner, good history on the Carfax from a LR dealer in St Louis.
She ended up snagging it for $7500, with two brand new keys and a new Interstate battery.
Ordered new Arnott bags for the front, service items, then a IID Tool BT.
Front was on the stops because a height sensor arm had snapped! Replaced the bags anyways, then removed, glued and sheaved the arm. Up she came!
After some serious cleaning by the missus, it will be hers after all, it looks great!
I've got brake pads all round, trans service kit, and the differential and transfer case fluids all on the way.
Pulled the tow bar off her '03 and installed it on the '11.
Did the oil and filter, air filters, belts, wipers and cabin filter today. Air and cabin filters looked brand new when I pulled them, all with the green oval on them.
Only oil leak was from the o ring on the vacuum pump at the bottom of the motor. No o ring handy, so pulled it and smeared Ultra Black on the o ring and put it back on for now. Certainly a change from the '03 regards fluids everywhere! LOL
There is a coolant smell after driving it a short distance, but I cant see a leak anywhere and the level isnt dropping. Not road registered yet, so just small drives as it is insured and registered to us. It's been sat a while, so it will take some driving to work the niggles out I'm sure.
Two things I can not figure out....
PDC, the light does not illuminate at all when you select reverse and/or push the button. The rear view camera comes on fine, and the PDC is selected there. It is also selected in the IID tool, but without a light on...... I checked the fuses, literally every singe fuse with an ohm meter,and all good. Pulled the PDC controller in the load area and there was corrosion on the circuit board.
The steering is stiff. It does have some power assist, but not enough.
There are some bits n pieces to pick up for it. 1 front camera found a rock and looks like its drunk when you view it. A front fog light surround is busted, so pulled it to repair the light. Tires we'll swap from her '03 to this. They are new Nitto's in the right size. The SC ones can go onto hers to sell. No owners manuals, so we'll be looking on Ebay for those.
Everything works on it, besides the PDC beep beep beep, and low speed power steering. Screenshot of the ID Tool in the next post

As always, any suggestions as to possible issues, fixes, and so on welcome.

Cheers
Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Two faults that will not clear, both pertaining to the two known issues..... PDC and low speed power steering
faults.jpg

Still on the front bump stops, but not for long!

front side.JPG

Interior. Leaps and bounds ahead of the '03 model. Nearly as nice as my LSx powered P38 even !!!! ;-)
interior.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
HUH I was going to buy it to flip! Nice to see if ended up with someone that will take care of it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess you could have got away with @$500 to turn it around, but I may as well do it all right as we tend to keep stuff for a LOOONG time......rofl
I figure for what I'll have in it, it wont owe us anything. The total for the service stuff was $900 from Will Tillery. $440 for the front bags. Another few hundred in bit n pieces to replace broken stuff, and thats about it. Under $10k for sure
I'm thinking the module for the PDC, as this one had corrosion in it. And not sure on the steering. tried swapping the transducer already with no change.

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, anyone tell me the pinout (power and ground mainly) for the PDC module?
No idea where the RAVE cd is, and Alldata shows everything but that...... Hate to buy a new part without knowing if it is getting juice or not.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordered a used PDC module, see if that fixes that.
GAP said they dont have the software to do the steering, yet. Hopefully they will soon.
Changed diff and transfer case fluids yesterday, along with new pads all around. While I had the wheels off, Cheryl took them to the tire place to get the tires swapped from her '03, to the wheels for the '11. New Nitto's.......
Few bits n pieces to come yet, like a trans service kit, owners manuals from ebay, a tail light, etc. But its mostly done.

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How the engine sounds like? DO you see in car history anything about timing chains replacement?
Sounds great, no signs of the rattle and I have worked on an '03 for the past 7 yrs!! Nothing on Carfax regards timing chains etc.
If it starts, I'll replace everything myself, and still have under $14k in it.
From my reading, it seems extended oil change intervals dont help it any, but its a crap shoot.

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
As a kind of update....
"New" (used) Park aid module fixed the PDC issue. for $97 I'll take it!

Reactions: ventogt

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is a great project, especially for the price! Thanks for sharing. I can't speak for others but I, for one, am looking forward to more updates as it progresses. :thumb:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just been getting bits n pieces for it mate.
One tail light to replace a cracked lens one, center brake light due to 4 LED's out, fog light surround, etc. Only thing not here yet is the trans kit and fluid.
I did get a new Behr radiator and header tank as a precaution also, so will install that.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went for a drive last night to go eat.
CEL light came back on, same as before showing the DMTL pump, or circuit. Doesn't look like the IID tool can test it, so will have a looksie. Good news is they are all the same from '03-'12, and we have the '03 parts rig! That poor thing has paid for itself countless times already...
If it is the pump I'll get a new one for the '11. Just dont want to buy parts for no reason. Another weird thing, one time the ac wouldnt come on right away, then went cold, then a little warmer when sat at a stop light. Code said B1C30-13, which in laymans terms means

Will tackle the DMTL, then probably the new radiator and header tank. Be nice to not have to go to the BMW dealer for coolant anymore!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There went that plan.....
The parts rig is showing the same code when I plugged the tekPro into it after starting.
Oh well, at least it isn't expensive

Martin

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
All I can say is nice going. My wife would love a white one newer than ours so i can be thankful that you found something with a margin for error in it and that is not white. :oops:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All I can say is nice going. My wife would love a white one newer than ours so i can be thankful that you found something with a margin for error in it and that is not white. :oops:
ROFL
Cheryl likes the lighter interior in her '03, and the black is a pain to keep clean. But it's in such good condition she kinda fell for it!
Was as much of a pain to bleed as any other Rover, so nice to see Ford didn't change that during their ownership....But it's above the cold fill mark this morning, so all is good. Ordered the new DMTL for it yesterday from AB. I did see just the pump for sale on Ebay though for $98. Genuine Bosche and looked like a decent price for the part that probably fails

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the Rover has been doing great!
Had a fault for the emission pump, so got a new one from AB along with a new gas cap. Fine since then.
All fluids changed.
There is still a "missing calibration" fault for the variable steering, making the steering stiff when going slow/stopped. Only thing GAP suggested was taking it to a dealer.....Not for me.
We are having to add coolant once in a while, and there is a coolant smell under the hood. Cant find a leak though! It's losing pressure on the tester, so its going somewhere.... Suggestions welcome!

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Left it under 20psi of pressure overnight, leak turned up....Big time
guess some idiots put a heater valve in it before we got it, and forgot to put the clamps back in place!
Rear of the engine, so it was dripping down the bellhousing
One clamp was @3" back, the other had 2 clamps on the same end.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Happy to report zero coolant loss or smells. If I ever find the idiot that replaced that heater valve......
Once in a while the ac doesnt blow cold right away, on both sides. So I will probably vacuum it down and see what shows up
I spent yesterday and half of today with the clay bar, power buffer with cutting compound, then the buffer with polish, then a final hand polish. Pictures do it no justice, but the results are impressive in person. The metallic really shows well.
polished rear.jpg
polished.jpg

Reactions: ventogt
1 - 19 of 19 Posts