RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I am looking for new tires for my 2011 RRSSC with 20" stormers and have searched and read every thread on this forum i can find on tires in 275/40 or 275/45 r20 sizes. I have concluded it is time for a new thread on the topic.

My situation is that i live in generally a hot climate and spend a lot of time on pavement and i am a spirited driver. That said, i also truly use this vehicle off road on the weekends including boulder/rock crawling and muddy hill climbs. I do not have the time or the patience to swap wheels every friday and sunday. The OEM size is 275/40r20, i have read that 275/45/r20 fits as well with no spacers and no rubbing. This larger size would be ~1" larger diameter, have a slightly taller sidewall and would throw off the odometer by ~3.5 miles per every 100 miles or speedo by 2mph at 65mph.

So here are my key questions for this collective:
1. Understanding that there is clearly going to be a compromise here between on road performance and off road performance, what is your recommendation for the best tire that will perform as well as possible in both of these situations assuming 275/40r20 or 275/45r20?

2. I have put the options i am looking at below, but what options am i missing? What do you recommend?

3. If i expand beyond OEM size of 275/40r20 and use 275/45r20, is it mandatory that i buy a 5th new tire to use as my spare as this is ~1" larger diameter tire?

To further aid the discussion, i have done a ton of independent research here and spoken to several tire manufacturers. My summary of findings is as follows:

mi_latitude_tour_hp_pdp124crop.jpg
Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/40r20 - this is the tire recommended by the dealer and by tire rack. it is hugely expensive (~$400/tire) and i believe will perform adequately on the road, but do not see this being much good off road.

yo_parada_spec_x_pdp124crop.jpg
Yokohama Parada SpecX 275/40r20 - this tire is the 2nd option recommended by tire rack. On Tire Rack it rates higher than the latitude and it is half the price of the above michelin. Again i believe will perform adequately on the road, but do not see this being much good off road.

NOKIAN-WR-G3-SUV.jpg
Nokian WRG3 SUV 275/40r20 - this tire is heralded as a miracle tire in the snow and is actually declared an All-Weather tire vs an All-Season. This will perform extremely well in wet/snowy weather, but will likely be soft for hot summer and offroad use.

Zeon-LTZ.jpg
Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/45r20 - this tire has received some attention as one of the only AT tires available in a fittable size for the RRSC with 20" rims. It has a much more aggressive tread pattern, will be much better offroad, but more limited on road and noisier. Being larger than OEM, it will impact odo/spdo per above and possibly spare? Also, it is being phased out in this size and is very difficult to find so may not be a good option. This is the one i believe i would choose if these issues didn't exist with size and availability.

fs_destination_le2_pdp124crop.jpg
Firestone Destination LE2 275/45r20 - this tire is very highly rated (#2) on tire rack in this size/category. On Tire Rack it rates higher than both the latitude and the parada. It is noted for having a good mix of onroad and offroad performance, although limited in both. Being larger than OEM, it will impact odo/spdo per above and possibly spare?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
741 Posts
Cooper zeons in 275/45 would be the best even if you only off road (rock crawling, mudding) on a few occasions. Also, the slightly larger size actually made my speedo (on my previous 2008 HSE) more accurate when compared to my GPS enabled passport 9500ix. On my '11 RRSS however, the speedo is spot on with my gps radar detector with factory size tires.

If you will only be "off-roading", i.e. just following trails, and doing most of the driving on road, I highly recommend the michelin latitude tour in the factory size. You lose a lot with the off road potential, and a little in the sportiness, but gain a whole lot more comfort.

People have had good luck with the yoko paradas but I really really did not like them. The truck felt unstable in wet weather conditions with noticeable hydroplaning at moderate speeds.

·
Banned
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
224 Posts
I just put on Hankook Ventus on 20" Stormers. The steering even feels better and more stable in a straight line compared to the Dunlops that the PO had on the car.

The Hankook's are currently rated 1st on TireRack for our size, so I am surprised you don't have them on your list. Amazon had them for $136/tire including shipping a week ago, but the price went up to $150 now. Still one of the lower cost tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Hankook Ventus is a summer performance tire, so for me it was not really a consideration. I don't believe it would provide the performance i would need in snow or offroad.

·
Registered
797 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From the tire size calculator and confirmed by 2 others, the difference is 1" diameter:
275/40 275/45 Delta
Diameter 28.66"29.74"1.08" 3.8%
Circum 90.04"93.44"3.4" 3.8%
sidewall 4.33"4.87"0.54" 12.5%
revs/mi 703.67678.05-25.61 -3.6%

·
Registered
797 Posts
That's odd. Logically a difference in profile of 5mm would equal a total diameter increase of 10mm.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
That's odd. Logically a difference in profile of 5mm would equal a total diameter increase of 10mm.
There may be some confusion here, as the difference in sidewall profile / height is more like 14 mm. In metric sizes, a tire's sidewall profile is not expressed in millimeters (at 40mm that would be an awfully thin sidewall...), but in a percentage of the section width which, on the other hand, is expressed in millimeters. So, to take the above two tire sizes as examples, 275/40R20 and 275/45R20:

275mm x 40% = 110mm sidewall height
275mm x 45% = 123.75mm sidewall height

13.75mm x 2 = 27.50mm is the difference in diameter between the two tires, or 1.08".

·
Registered
797 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up Umberto. I was always under the impression that the profile was always listed in millimeters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone still running the Cooper Xeon LTZ in 275/45/r20? How about the Nitto Terra Grappler in 265/50/20? I am getting ready to pull the trigger and looking for the latest experiences everyone is having. How is the reliability of the cooper? does the nitto rub? someone out there cares as much about tires as i do right? :)

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I had the Copper LTZ's in a 285/50/20 set up. No issues, very reliable tire in my opinion for on the road, handled well too. I've only been off-road 2x with it, and it handled well there as well, but again need to ask the others on the off-road aspect. Only issue is the noise after a while. After 3 sets on the LTZ's, I gave up on them this year and went with the Parada Spec-X.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great! I ordered the Zeon LTZ in 275/45r20 yesterday - so i will report back first hand after i get them installed. Fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have some cop friends. I'll see if I can get them to clock me and see what the difference is in the reading.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I had a similar question. Was thinking of going to a slightly wider tire (285 instead of the 275) for my 20 inch stock supercharged wheels (looking at the nitto 285/40/20). I've also considered going to 45 instead of the 40 like the OP of this thread. My question is, does a wider or taller tire mess up the differentials? I remember reading in a porsche forum that guys that changed tire heights could destroy the front diff's on the all wheel drive turbos. Our cars are also all wheel drive, but is that not an issue with our cars because the tires are not staggered but rather the same size all around? Thanks for any info!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
As long as all tires match in overall circumference, that's all that matters. Differentials don't care what size your rims, tires or sidewalls are, but they do throw a hissy fit (the transmission, too) if left and right wheels spin at different speeds.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
206 Posts
As long as all tires match in overall circumference, that's all that matters. Differentials don't care what size your rims, tires or sidewalls are, but they do throw a hissy fit (the transmission, too) if left and right wheels spin at different speeds.
Sounds like one would need to get a new spare tire if one were to go with a 45 profile tire - correct?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Oh my god I never thought of that! Very good point. Does this mean that using the spare can damage the rear diff or tranny?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts