RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RRS has 57K mls and I had to add over 1 quart of coolant after the red low coolant signal came on. This is the secodn time this happened. I have owned many cars before, admittedly lower milage and all German made, and never had to add coolant.
Is this common for this engine or could this mean a major leak is developing?
I will make an appointment with the dealer to have it checked, fortunately I still have extended warranty coverage.
Thanks for any tips you may have.
Erik

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
The original tanks have a habit of leaking at the seams. The leak is difficult to see due to the colour of the tank. In the beginning it usually evaporates. As it leaks more you might see a faint crusty build up. If you wait too long they just plain rupture. Closely inspect your tank. If you see anything on the seams or under the tank it needs to be replaced. If you have a warranty deductible just change it yourself. The tank is only $65, comes with a new level sensor and takes about 10 minutes to replace. Have no fear, this is not a sign of an engine issue. However if it ruptures you will will have a very limited time to get off the road before you are dangerously low on coolant.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
51 Posts
I would just like to note that the leak may not always be from the tank. I had a leak under my intake manifold and I was losing coolant. The techs had to remove my intake manifold to fix the issue. They figured this out after doing a pressure test.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
and I just remembered that the secondary bleed valve under the engine is plastic and they leak before they fail.

Hiland, have you smelled coolant at any point or seen drips under your engine area?

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
Along with the plastic bleed valve the plastic thermostat housing also forms pin holes that cause small leaks. And in my case grew to larger leaks.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I added 1 quart Prestone Red and now a week later the light is back on. I made an appointment for the coming week to have it looked at. 1 quart in a week tells me something is definitely wrong. I have not seen any fluids dripping thus-far.

and I just remembered that the secondary bleed valve under the engine is plastic and they leak before they fail.

Hiland, have you smelled coolant at any point or seen drips under your engine area?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to bring it in next week. Since I have extended warranty I/m hoping this get's repaired under warranty.

Along with the plastic bleed valve the plastic thermostat housing also forms pin holes that cause small leaks. And in my case grew to larger leaks.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
263 Posts
Had this happen to me, was my water pump seeping out the hole between the shaft seals designed to warn that it needs replacing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts