RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on the highway when my 2011 Range Rover Sport (non-supercharged) started to shake and vibrate like I got a flat tire. When I pulled over to the side of the road the rear passenger wheel was smoking and the rotor was glowing because it was so hot. There was also brake dust caked on the corner of the rims. Not sure if it is the caliper getting stuck from a bad piston? or from corrosion in the system? Or the parking brake possibly? We have had real cold weather and a lot of snow and salt over the last few weeks here in PA - not sure if this could have contributed to it.

There is ~60k miles on the car, and I changed brake pads around 40k. I am in the process of ordering new pads and rotors all around but want to fix this issue first.

Any help on diagnosing the issue and an recommendation on brakes and rotors would be appreciated...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,459 Posts
Sounds like the parking brake shoes got stuck to the inside of the brake rotor, created the drag and heated up the rotor. This does happen occasionally, but almost always after someone has recently tried to adjust the EPB, very rarely just by itself. Jack up the car and try to rotate the wheel. If it doesn't turn easily, remove the wheel, and adjust the EPB thru the slot hole and see if the rotor starts to turn freely then. Try the EPB and make sure it's still working.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can you free spin the wheels, mine is full time 4x4 and I cannot unless I raise all tires off the ground, I’m guessing I haven’t tried it

·
Registered
838 Posts
That happened to me this summer. It was a stuck caliper. I jacked it up and tried turning the wheel which was frozen. I forced the caliper piston back in and the wheel turned so I knew it wasn't the park brake. Put a rebuilt in and been fine since.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately I was unable to jack up the car immediately after stopping to find troubleshoot the issue, but I did exercise the emergency brake, turn on/off the car, and pump the brake pedal. I let the rotor cool down for 30 minutes and drove it a mile and pulled over to check the heat and it was gone. Seems like it happens intermittently so it will be hard to check if it will rotate unless I catch it in the act.

Is there an instruction set on how to adjust the EPB thru the slot hole? I am going to replace the rotors in the next week or so and I know you are supposed to set the EPB and then to remove the rotor you have to rotate the set wheel on the EPB thru the hole but I don't know how many clicks?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts