RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

A couple weeks ago the wife reported that while on the highway, an object from a truck hit the right mirror on the car and caused the plastic cover to pop off (though thankfully not entirely as to fall off and be lost forever), and I snapped it back in, no scratches on the thing even if you can believe it, and no damage. However the incident caused the mirror to pop forward (towards the window) so I just popped it back. Thing is, I noticed that although the power folding is working fine, the SPEED of the right mirror folding out and in is different from the left one now. It appears to fold/unfold at a smaller range of angles, or perhaps quicker? It's not hanging weird or loose at all, looks fine, and not making any strange noises either. My question is, normally, should the mirrors always fold out and in to the max positions at the same exact speed/timing? I don't recall how it was before the incident. Wondering if it needs attention from the dealer. I know these aren't cheap to repair but my wife took down the license plate of the truck in case we file with insurance to cover the deductible (if you guys say it indeed needs repair).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 2011 RRS power-fold of mirrors happening at different speed

Bump? Nobody knows? :-(

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts

I can't believe I did this, but I went outside and checked my LR4's power mirrors (I'm assuming they behave the same way as the Sport.) They appear to fold and unfold at the same speed, but the passenger side's travel is shorter (it doesn't open up at as wide an angle as the driver's), therefore it folds and unfolds a fraction of a second faster than the LH mirror. When folded, the inner edge of the RH mirror is about a 1/4" away from the window glass, while the driver's is flush against it. Does that answer your question?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

LOL Umberto you're the man, thank you and YES it does! I believe that is exactly what I have observed. I guess I just assumed - before this incident - that they're identical. But given the LHD aspect of our cars I bet there's a method to their implementation. And I bet in the UK for RHD cars it's reversed. Ultimately this means that there's nothing to be repaired / inspected - despite the reported HEAVY AND LOUD bang from the mysterious object off the truck on the highway. Thankfully...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts