Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that I have this new vehicle, I have to get it ready for towing our travel trailer. I've pointed out in another post about some verbiage in the RRS manual that says NOT use use any "weight equalising" (<-Kings English) hitch setup. In searching the forum, I have no doubt about the ability to handle up to 4900lbs of my trailer, at about 400lbs of tongue weight.

The issue is that a travel trailer is unique, in that it is a big BOX, and gets pushed around easily by passing trucks, gusts of wind, etc. Also, the weight on the end is at a farther length from the pivot, which even with the proper weight on the front, gives fuel to a pendulum affect after the movement begins. Most boats have all the weight on the axles of the trailer (engine), and so there is not enough weight behind the axles to create oscillation.

So weight distribution hitches do more than just keep the vehicle level, it provides additional stability by pushing weight on the front wheels of the vehicle.

Wheel base also is important because side-to-side motion (wagging) is harder to control at shorter lengths.

So, my question is why no weight distribution hitch? I don't totally buy the "self-leveling" argument, because the computer doesn't know HOW weight appears on the wheels, just that it's there, and thus level's it out.

My guess is that there is some issue in applying torque to the cross frame at the rear, or perhaps the "slide in" receiver is not robust enough to handle the torque forces being applied in a reverse direction.

Any engineer's out there? I wonder about the LEGAL implications of using a WD setup anyway, and then the hitch/receiver fails, and watching my trailer pass me in the fast lane, cut across to an exit, taking out a McDonalds down at the end of the ramp?

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
My guess, and it's just a wild ass guess made by a hung over ape this am.

A WD trailer hitch allows you to kinda get away with towing a heavier load than you could safely do w a straight up hitch. My guess is if you were to correctly set up the WD hitch each time, this would be no problem. But it's probably LR's way of saying we can't trust every owner to correctly set them up 100% and for the guy that overloads his trailer and compensates with a WD hitch, we accept no reponsibility.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Fax.

The Loose Goose had a fair crack at answering your questions, but I think there's a clip on www.youtube.com of a Disco3 towing a car trailer which demonstrates how the Dynamic Stability Control(DSC) works to cancel out wayward pendulum motions ?
Self-levelling functions including your Terrain Response System are inter-connected to the ABS braking hardware, as well as Traction Control functions, Hill Descent control and Airbag Suspension settings to compensate for various loads & conditions.

A Weight Distributing trailer hitched to your RRS is likely to effect the vehicles in-built sensors and trigger over/under corrective measures that either cancel out or exaggerate the built-in electronic software when dealing with emergency situations !
I think I saw the mud bogging monkey's new retirement playground in the attached clip from "down south" and included it for entertainment sake, go figure as Mikel0352 seems to sum up the whole to the part of those New Jersey clan moving to S.C.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3IkhXORA_E

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Vinni,
The only thing that could make that video better would be a couple of salties snapping at the vehicles as they roll by.

My lowly Toyota has DSC, and there is no warning in the manual about WD hitches and such.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, after the responses here, and on the "RV" forum where I posted a similar question, I've decided to trust the documentation and engineering built into the RRS.

I've ordered the plug in LR towing receiver hardware (rather than buy a 3rd party frame hitch, which allows WD), and the wiring kit. I managed to find the hitch for $360 new (a LR dealer in TX selling on EBAY), and the wiring kit from a LR-parts supplier for $119.00. My dealer's best price is at $590 + tax (both items).

Also ordered a Prodigy 2 electric brake controller, which says it's a plug and play into the RRS, using a "Ford" connection found under the dash. (For real?)

Finally, I will use a friction bar sway controller simply as insurance, and leave the WD system for vehicles that don't have auto-leveling suspensions.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts