RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2011 RRS Supercharged with 97K miles into a local indy shop here in No. VA that seems to be pretty reputable. They know all about the timing chain guide issue on the early Ford 5.0 V8's - in fact they had a LR4 sitting in front of the shop they had just completed the service on. I don't have any CEL illuminated but I can hear the increased noise on the timing chain and I feel a pre-emptive service will avoid longer term costs down the road. They quoted $6K for the service, possibly a little more if they supercharger needs any work. I'd like to keep the car operational for a long time so it seems like the right thing to do. I've looked at the zip tie bulletin and I feel I could do that - doesn't seem too much more complicated than the timing belt service I've done on my 928. But this engine is a lot more complicated and I feel a professional shop would be the safer route. Does this cost seem in line with what others have paid independent shops? Has anyone done their own timing chain guide replacement and feel that was a better route?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
Thats right on the money for that job. Its a pretty involved job and just note there are always a few other things to be changed at that time like the plastic coolant pipes under the supercharger and the rear cross over pipe, supercharger Isolator is always a nice upgrade and possibly replace the water pump. Also note sometimes injectors dont want to come out and will fight you, might need to replace the ones if they get damaged.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
82 Posts
I got a much better rate from an independent rover mechanic that is mobile. I have access to parts suppliers so I bought all the obvious stuff- tensioners, rails, guides, both belts, both belt tensioners, pulleys, valve cover gaskets. This is the minimum parts list. Chains are a peace of mind part. VVT cam sproclets should be changed if any of them are faulty These are the single highest expense if any/all need to be replaced. The front seal should be replaced if you see any sign of seepage.
So I gathered the parts, he came to the house with a helper and did it in two days in the driveway. My wholesale cost for parts, and $1400 to them for the labor. If you have the cash available, it's great. If you rely on credit cards for stuff like this, this might not be an option. Regardless, my situation was under 2k.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got a much better rate from an independent rover mechanic that is mobile. I have access to parts suppliers so I bought all the obvious stuff- tensioners, rails, guides, both belts, both belt tensioners, pulleys, valve cover gaskets. This is the minimum parts list. Chains are a peace of mind part. VVT cam sproclets should be changed if any of them are faulty These are the single highest expense if any/all need to be replaced. The front seal should be replaced if you see any sign of seepage.
So I gathered the parts, he came to the house with a helper and did it in two days in the driveway. My wholesale cost for parts, and $1400 to them for the labor. If you have the cash available, it's great. If you rely on credit cards for stuff like this, this might not be an option. Regardless, my situation was under 2k.
Sent you a pm. Would appreciate if you could get me his number. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sent you a pm. Would appreciate if you could get me his number. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where are you located? My guys are LA based. Regarless, even if you were on the east coast, you could fly both of them out with their tools, put them up for the weekend, get them a rental car and pay their bar bills for less than you were quoted.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Wait ... so SoCalAnt, you're saying that 'your guys' charge 1400 in labor? Nice!
Yup. $1400 is still a good chunk of change, and I didn’t have any references before committing to it, but sometimes things go our way. Wholesale, I probably spent $7-800 in parts, so I’m in it for a bit over 2k. Seems like a long way from 6 or so K, so I’m happy with the investment. I can’t believe what a difference in noise level it is now. I didn’t think it was that loud before, but is so much quieter now, I know it was close to becoming a much more expensive fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts