RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AC is not working and it is still hot/warm in Florida. Consulted independent mechanic. After diagnostics advised to replace AC compressor. Question is to install aftermarket or OEM ac compressor. Would appreciate members input about specific company aftermarket compressor at reasonable cost or bite the bullet and go for OEM.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
AC is not working and it is still hot/warm in Florida. Consulted independent mechanic. After diagnostics advised to replace AC compressor. Question is to install aftermarket or OEM ac compressor. Would appreciate members input about specific company aftermarket compressor at reasonable cost or bite the bullet and go for OEM.
If the problem even is the AC compressor, which it usually isn't given it's the simplest thing ever. If it isn't leaking and never made any catastrophic noises chances are it isn't the compressor itself. Does the AC compressor clutch engage? You can tell by watching it while the engine is running, if the AC is on its pulley will be spinning. If the AC is on and all you see is the belt portion of the clutch spinning, but the compressor is doing nothing, it's the clutch... Which is a cheap part assuming you can find it.

Also as far as replacing the entire unit, as long as it fits properly and has the supporting specs the cheaper the better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for quick reply. I may have gone to wrong mechanic as he specifically and emphatically said that this AC Compressor does not have clutch and controlled by valves. Will follow your advice and may look for another mechanic.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
166 Posts
your mechanic is correct. compressor fitted to 2011 has no clutch and it is controlled by solenoid valve. take look at the link I provided for you.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Thanks for quick reply. I may have gone to wrong mechanic as he specifically and emphatically said that this AC Compressor does not have clutch and controlled by valves. Will follow your advice and may look for another mechanic.
sorry about that I did not see this was a 2011... apologies.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What did it end up costing you to replace the compressor?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts