RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out this morning to go to work and the RR door was frozen. Thought the door handle was going to come off! Once the door opened it wouldn't close. Well actually wouldn't latch. The interior handle did nothing. Opened window and the outside handle was also DOA. Ended up having to use the passenger door. Ooops... that door acted exactly the same.

After warming it up, the doors all returned to normal. I actually went through this with my 2003 Discovery SE7.

So the question is this: How to prevent this from happening again other than moving to Florida or Hawaii. I am assuming two things. 1-frozen moisture on the door seals and 2-a lubrication issue with the actuator/door latch.

Thanks for any time spent on this conundrum.

Kurt

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
335 Posts
Slightly off-topic. My LR3 rear hatch would flat out refuse to operate below zero C. I lost count of how many times I drove around the mountains with the hatch flapping. In the end I put a 12V hair dryer in the trunk and used it to warm the latch up.

Maybe you can try that? But of course, you have to get the door open first. Maybe try some lithium grease on the seals. But it sounds like the door handles are acting up...

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
Vaseline on your gaskets will stop them freezing to the body. Stick a screw driver in your latch and operate the door handle it'll pop right to the open position

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
When I read our manual I noticed a reference to applying silicone? Stuff to the seals to prevent sticking in cold weather. I get a rubber treatment from the auto parts store. See toad for the latch .

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
615 Posts
When I read our manual I noticed a reference to applying silicone? Stuff to the seals to prevent sticking in cold weather. I get a rubber treatment from the auto parts store. See toad for the latch .
We have problems after carwash always in winter times.
You just couldn’t open doors under -20C if worker not clean water good enough.
But we have some silicon sprays
silikonovaya-sprej.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts