RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help with this. 2011 Range Rover Sport overheated took into shop they replace water pump and coolant pipe. They did a 15 min test drive and said that it overheated and stem iscoming out of the exhaust. I paid $1133.00 and now they said that it needs head gasket and the block maybe warp with cost as high as $7500.00 or more. Is it possible that the shop did this damage with the 15 min test drive. Please help thank you

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
No. Chances are you did the damage overheating it prior to them replacing water pump.

What were the conditions and how long did you run it overheating before the repair?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was on the freeway when the red light came on. I drove to the shop maybe about 5 - 10 miles and then it cut off right at the driveway of the shop. The shop told me that it ran okay the next morning when they decided to repair it. Then they called me back with this news, and now it won't even start up at all. I asked them should they have known it was in bad shape before they put the water pump on and drove it. I just want to make sure that they did not do more damage by driving it for the 15min test drive.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Now that you have said it died in the shop's drive it;s a pretty clear you are the one that fried the engine. ALWAYS properly tow an overheating vehicle to the shop, to your home or make on location repairs. Once an engine starts to overheat you must NEVER drive it unless in a very dangerous location and your safety is at stake. The proper thing to do would have been to pull off to the shoulder or right lane and wait for assistance. I am sorry to say the cost of any repairs lands squarely on your pocket book.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses I'm well aware that I cause some damage to the engine. But I had my concern as to why it was starting before they replace the pump and coolant pipe, and than it would not even turn over after they told me they drove it hard for 15min and now it does nothing. I felt that they should have known the engine was not running correct before they went out and drove it and made it heat up even more than before.

But the good news I found out later today is the block is not warp or crack and after I voiced my concern about it to the owner of the shop and since most of the $7500.00 is labor charges. Of course I have to pay for all the parts but they are cutting the labor charges in half. The heads will have to be machined and since the RRS has 60000 miles they will replace the timing tensioner also since I was hearing a light tapping noise at start up and now they are already inside the engine. I already had an timing chain estimate of $4300.00 in the future so now it will be taken care also. Yes I have learned a lesson when you see a red light come on stop the car immediately. And this is my first RRS and I still love this SUV. Hopefully no more problems.................

·
Registered
799 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2011 Range Rover Blown Head Gasket

Can anyone help with cost of repair for blown head gaskets to remove and have them machined. Also to replace the timing chain tensioners on the RRS with 66000 miles on it. I have an estimate of $9000.00
for parts and 38 hours of labor in Sacramneto, CA. Any suggestions welcome. Thank You, KS

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Re: 2011 Range Rover Blown Head Gasket

THis is your third time posting this. Once really is enough. :thumb:

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts

I will lay it out there and be blunt.

I highly doubt your going to find an answer of cost for this repair as its not common to fry a 5.0 driving it 10 miles overheating all the way. Typically people pull over and call a tow truck before causing catastrophic damage.

Best of luck

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

You should also be pricing out an engine, not head gaskets, once these engines cook, the block warps pretty quickly, from what I've seen, quicker than the heads.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts

The big issue with a situation like this is lack of information. You have no clue how much damage has been done. We do know that obviously the damage is significant as the engine seized in their drive way. Unfortunately the only way to properly diagnose the work required for a rebuild is to completely tear down the engine. That in it self is a huge amount of labour that no shop would be willing do write off and only a few would credit towards future work. THat $9000 for head gaskets could only be the start if they find scored cylinders, damaged pistons, burned bearings... the list could be long. 10 miles is a very long distance with only the oil circulation to cool and lubricate parts.

When deciding between rebuild and new for an engine you have several factors. With rebuild you have removal, tear down, machining, parts prices, build and install. Naturally all with the vast amount of labour involved. With new you have only engine cost plus the same removal and install labour. So how long are you going to keep it? Present realistic condition? Other systems properly maintained for long term ownership or have only the bare basics been done? Any warranty? Are you financing?

There is always used engines as an option, but you will never know how they were maintained. However at appx $12K it may be the most cost effective way out of this situation.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
23 Posts

Years ago when my sister was much younger, she drove her car with the engine light on AND steam vapor coming up through the sides of the hood. She kept driving because she did not want to be late for work. Engine ended up toast. To this day, I still bring up that story. Not helpful to thread except some folks just do not understand the harm that can be done to an engine when it overheats. Always best to pull over and tow.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
434 Posts
At this point I might be calling breaker yards in areaa like los angeles where there are a lot of rovers and seeing if I can get a used engine from a crash model ....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm new to the forum and my apoligies on the extra posting I did not know if the threads were posting. And thanks to the replies that were received. Special thanks to you RRToadHall you were spot on the money with the cost of $12K to get out of this mess but I kept my engine to do so. After repaired heads, water pump, cooling pipe, water pipe, timing tensioners, starter, air compressor, thermostat, a host of gaskets and nuts/bolts and you can say an almost rebuilt engine. I picked her up today and she purrs like a tiger. Grand total $11,760.00 Lesson learned and now I'm moving on from it. See you all on the highways in CA......................................

1 - 15 of 15 Posts