RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RR makes these intermittent humming noises for 3-5 seconds only when driving at speeds over 70. It comes and goes so fast I can’t catch record it. It’s a low pitch sound like something is rubbing together, almost like windshield wipers when they are dry scraping against the windshield. Anyone else hear something like this and know the solution?

·
Registered
519 Posts
My RR makes these intermittent humming noises for 3-5 seconds only when driving at speeds over 70. It comes and goes so fast I can’t catch record it. It’s a low pitch sound like something is rubbing together, almost like windshield wipers when they are dry scraping against the windshield. Anyone else hear something like this and know the solution?
Turn off recirculation on your HVAC and see if it stops. There is an air intake gasket in the cowl that is not fully closed. There is a trim kit to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
226 Posts
As a formality... definitely not variating road surface noises, correct? (Tires on asphalt.)

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
9 Posts
My 2005 L322 was making a noise that sounded like bees when I would drive at 70+, especially if there were cross winds. I narrowed it down to the seal at the bottom of the windscreen. I made a little snake with plumber's putty and tucked it under that seal, and that solved the problem.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
263 Posts
The whoomping sound is the blend door for the HVAC as it adjusts for fresh/recirc air. Its more noticeable at speed due to air pressure. As previously mentioned there is a "kit" to minimize the noise.

If you hear a buzzing or slapping up high on the windscreen its probably the rubber windshield trim come loose.

If you hear a buzzing down low on the windscreen its probably a loose cowl but MY11 has an updated cowl and plastic rivet in the middle to prevent that noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts