Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently posted a thread about my issues with the Park Assist not working at all and no fault codes showing up. Yesterday I left the Range out in the rain for about 4 hours. After I drove it about 1 mile, the stereo power button began flashing and the screen froze and the stereo was producing no sound. As soon as I got home I started diagnosing and found my rear compartment where the Navigation, Park Aid Module, fiber optics for the radio and all that good stuff was drenched in water!! needless to say I was furious that a 5 year old truck with 35,000 miles on it would have such a stupid problem and that this has not been addressed on this ear vehicle. I started to dry the water out, disconnect all the connectors and placed a small fan heater in the trunk to dry things out. I took the Parking Aid Module off and it was literally FULL of water. There was so corrosion on it as well as can be expected. I was not able to get the navigation or the radio to work or the screen to unfreeze for that matter last night. This morning I hooked everything back up and it worked for about 3 minutes and then froze up again, sound went out again, and blinking power button again.

The water is coming in through the top seam in the D pillar. As soon as I drove the car out of the garage into the rain again I could see the water flowing down the pillar from that seam. I will have to diagnose where it is coming from but for now I want to see if anyone has any idea how I can fight Land Rover over this issue. I assume the car is designed by engineers and built by professionals. It costs a pretty penny too. This kind of issue is something I would expect from a Russian LADA, not a luxury SUV like Range Rover. Of course the warranty is expired. Please help and chime in if you have had similar issues!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
36 Posts
These trucks are not known for their high build quality. I think it's a mistake to assume that the newer models are much better...just average based on the JD Power initial quality reports I have read regardless of the premium price.
It's my opinion that it's more about the individual vehicle when it comes to quality...sure there are the common issues but I have read loads of forum posts where owners o of the same model year and mileage have completely different experiences, one being a lemon and the other a jem!

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
197 Posts
This is a new one by me. The later FFRRs are generally pretty good (my '12 is awesome). Was the pillar replaced at some point?

·
Banned
901 Posts
I have no idea what a russian lada is. They dont sell them here.

There are some issues with water ingress on the pre 07/08 that was widely believed to be completely fixed by 2010.

I believe the issues are from three potential areas.

1) remove rear back plastic panel look for corrosion or issues.

2) reseal tailgate

3) look for leaking water from blocked sunroof drain plugs etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, it was never replaced. I can see the water coming in through that seam. This weekend I will remove the tailgate and and put some high temp gasket maker around the bolt holes that hold the tailgate on, this seems to me like the only area that water can be coming through and making it to that seam. I just cant see anywhere else where water can be coming through. FYI for anyone reading this, in case you want to check for yourself if you are having this issue also, it is the upper seam where the roof connects to the pillar. All you have to do to see it is remove the plastic trim with the speaker in it and you will see the seam i am talking about on top.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I removed the back plastic panel and dried everything out, was able to get everything working again (except for the park aid module since this one was full of water for i dont know how long) and no there was no corrosion except for a little on the radio module body, which i cleaned up.

I will be resealing the bolt holes that hold the tailgate on this weekend probably with some high temp gasket maker.

I am trying to find out how to unblock the sunroof drains if they are indeed clogged. Seems like i may be able to use some weed eater string to unclog them? We shall see.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
138 Posts
I had a similar issue with my land cruiser. I used a weed eater string attached to a drill and used it as a snake. I also end-up have to access the tube near the frame (in this case through a body panel- not sure where our RR's are accessed at) and clean it on that end to. You'd be surprised how much gunk collects in those tubes.

At any rate, DO NOT use compressed air to blow through the tubes. You'll risk blowing the internal drain tube completely off which would most likely require removing the headliner to re-attach it.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
12 Posts
I have the same problem, 2011 L322. I have water ;leaking down through the D pillars into the truck, and blew out all my stereo and parking aide components, and leaves a inch of water by the spare. It looks like its that little seal on the top of the D pillar that is cracked.
RR wants $200 for the part each side. I though I could just replace the seal, no luck,have to replace all. Anyone have a good part number??

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Caulking, it's a wonderful thing. Remove the D pillar trim, clean everything up and make sure your body seal at the roof is intact. If not, caulk it. Pay attention to where the centre roof panels meets side roof rails and hatch area as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts