RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's, my 2011 rangie has only one fob (with no blade) so I'm looking to get a replacement blade, does anyone know if this can be done without going to a main dealer? if not, will a main dealer provide just the blade or will they want to supply the fob aswell?What I'm thinking is, if I can get the blade from someone, ill then buy a spare from a locksmith & get them progam & cut it.Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
You will have to go to the dealer if you do not have a key at all, They will need vin# and would guess the registration in your name to provide you that key.
My 2010 had on fob an 1 key and as a pain to get the extra key and fob by not going to the dealer, saved money but was online purchases and 3 locksmiths to cut the key and then IIDtool to program all key at once. IIDtool has many other uses so did not figure into the cost.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Chris, you were lucky, you had a key for the locksmiths to copy. Ash has no key.

Ash, go to the dealer and order a valet style key blade. They are cheap. You can then order a case and key off ebay and move your remote innards to the new case and have a locksmith copy your valet style key to the new blade. All this can be done for a fraction of the price of a new remote.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Without a blade to copy the best option is to take your registration information to a local JLR Dealer and order a key to your VIN.

Once you have your new blade, make sure you check to see it fits and operates your driver door barrel.

Then you can have a copy or copies made. Here in the DFW, TX area it's pretty tough to find a locksmith with the tooling to cut an LR or Jag blade so I've used this service (link below) several times and have been very satisfied (even when a blade has needed to be re-cut due to not being perfect, they did it no hassle, for free). Just make sure to provide good pictures of your "new" blade for copying.

Luckily for you, they are UK based :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-XF-XJ-XK-Remote-Key-Blade-Cut-to-your-car-Guaranteed-to-fit/142343515478?hash=item212455ad56:g:wUYAAOSwnF9Y6uvq

Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts